Clear all

96 tears

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

a garage band in the mid 1960's came out with a song, "96 Tears". it became an instant classic. they were named
" ? and the Mysterians" (that's pronounced question mark; the lead singer's legal name)
you all know my love for covering old songs. when I found a 60's Farfesa organ plug-in on the interweb I was inspired to record my version of 96tears.
listening to the original song over and over, to ingrain it so as to perform better, I came to realize how cool this song is.
mainly two chords. simple lyrics. the vocals more an admonishment rap than melodic singing. (check out the original on youtube)
what makes the song go is not the understated steady drum, but the organ and bass.
I contacted Nuno, the guitarnoise bassman and ever ready band mate, to supply the bass track for the cover version.
it is quite a marathon bass part to tackle. I think Nuno did the perfect bass line. thank you, my friend.

please have a listen. I welcome all criticisms; it helps my recording process.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=644552

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 18/04/2009 2:28 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Yep remember it well . . . if you had asked me who recorded it though, I couldn't have told you.

Organ: Great
Nuno Bass: Right on
Drums: On beat

Now for the singing:
Pitch is good.
I would have preferred you to shout out the lyrics . . . as if you were mad . . .
and had something to say . . . and you really wanted to say it . . . so you blast those lyrics out.
Don't hold back . . . do a Joe Cocker on that song.
Maybe that's because that's the way I remember hearing it.
In short, put more punch into your voice for that song.
Now, I couldn't have done any better singing it . . .
but that doesn't stop me from giving my opinion about how I would if I could.

Enjoyed it. Good choice.

Candid I can be,
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 18/04/2009 3:04 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Just came back from listening to the original on YouTube . . .
and stumbled across another possible Dogbite/Nuno production . . .

Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 18/04/2009 3:13 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I thought about it some more . . .

Wait until you're in a real nasty mood and sing that song . . .

maybe my comments will help you get in that mood. :mrgreen:

KR2

Posted : 18/04/2009 3:28 pm
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

I'm familiar with the song from the Stranglers cover about 20 years ago. The keyboard riff is the hook to the song and I know I will be whistling it for the rest of the day. Great job as ever, good vocal and Nuno's bass fitted in well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 18/04/2009 4:35 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I love this song! Haven't heard it in ages. I remember the radio station I listened to when I lived in Detroit in the early 80's had a couple of DJs that had a band & they played this song and then would go into Switch Into Glide. Good days. 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 18/04/2009 4:45 pm
(@maplebaby)
Noble Member

That one takes me back! Guitarist talk about a signurature riff...that is a sig. organ riff! Man the bass was terrific....i loved it!

dale

Posted : 18/04/2009 7:06 pm
(@elpantalla)
Honorable Member

Oh yes, this is groovin'.

I love the organ sound, and the bass is really nice.

I really like your voice. You have that perfect raspiness that works really well for this song. However, I do agree with the others in saying that you need a bit more angst.

One chord is fine.
Two you're pushing it.
Three and you're into jazz.

Posted : 18/04/2009 7:33 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Props, db and Nuno. :)
I love that song, always have...I just gave your version about 5 spins in a row. :)

Don

Posted : 18/04/2009 7:42 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

hey, thanks for listening and the great feedback.
there were about four hundred takes on the vocals.
well, maybe not that many. I think I got trapped into
singing it one way. instead, I could have explored
other ways. hmmmm. :idea:

Posted : 18/04/2009 7:44 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Very cool version, I like it a lot! Always did love songs with a lot of organ - this, Mendocino (anyone else remember The Sir Douglas Quintet? Doug Sahm?) Runaway and Let's Dance (Chris Montez) are songs I use to practise keyboards.

Nice guitar, understated and subtle. Bass is spot-on - Nuno, you're getting pretty good! Vocals - well, they are a little laid-back, but they work for me - almost casually dismissive in a languid, couldn't-be-bothered-with-you-anymore kind of way.

BTW, Dogbite, your voice doesn't give your age away - you sound a lot younger than your real age, I'd have put you in your thirties if I was guessing. You've got a good, mature, strong voice that can carry a tune - don't be afraid to let it off the leash now and then!

Adding this one to the playlist, for sure!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 18/04/2009 10:08 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sheeesh, making us feel old. Nice cover. Had not heard that one in ages. Then Dan brings up Switchin' To Glide. Man, that's all some good old rock there. Love it.

Found a video on You Tube in B&W. Some dude was wearing a short-sleeved turtle neck. Gotta love 60's fashion.

Nuno, great job on the bass! db, great job on all else.

96 Tears. Wow. How did you ever remember that one? Vocals are quite a challenge. One of those songs that requires more acting than others, I think. You changed inflection plenty, if that's the right word. I wonder sometimes if over-acting is needed on some songs' vocals. :? Well, super job once again.

Double cools from me to both of yooze. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 19/04/2009 3:39 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

thanks for the comments.
my voice...I am relearning and reacquainting myself with it. (it?!)
it has been near to three years quitting cigarettes. the last few months I feel a difference in my body. the air power is growing. practicing technique helps. I find that when I open up the air ways and use the diaphragm I get a raspiness in the vocals. it's kinda cool. as a teen I sang all the time. everyone said I had good pitch and an ear. then there were the smoking years and I didn't sing much.
so now I have to figure out how to use this voice and lung contraption.
although I am an old guy I do 'dance' around like a youngster when doing the vocal tracks.
it helps get into the 'moment'.
so I should let my voice rip into the song's meaning a little more? ok. I'll try.
really appreciate the feedback.

Posted : 19/04/2009 10:03 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thank you very much guys! :D

One of the many things Dogbite taught me this time was about this song and this band. What a cool song! I didn't know it. My memories about music start in the late seventies and mainly in the eighties. When I find this class of music I always think there are many good songs and sounds for discovering.

Probably this bass line is beyond my current possibilities but I played it with the Dogbite's help and encouragement. It is truth it seems a marathon but I had to do it.

Although I only played it! The mix and equalization is a Dogbite's job and it was a really good job! In fact I don't know what kind of magic he used but I hardly recognize my poor and clumsy fingers there!

Posted : 19/04/2009 11:00 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'm looking forward to the next collaboration . . . they don't come often enough.

KR2

Posted : 19/04/2009 11:06 am
Page 1 / 2