Clear all

A Bikini & Sunglasses-new found recording technique

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

It's been a long week to say the least when it's come to playing and recording. But I think with this recording I've finally been able to take my recording to the next level (at least I hope).

I spent several hours today looking for that sweet spot in mic position for my Zoom H2, and I finally found it for my Crafter Acoustic, its about 12" back, in front and above the sound hole, straight on. Then turned towards the neck at about 25 degrees. I was able to get a good optimal type of EQ from there and didn't have to really do much with the audio in post other than raise the levels and do a little post EQ.

My biggest hurdle was the Bass from my guitar, it's just so boomy, and the lower-mids were driving me crazy, so I need to figure out how to place the mic so it would not be so muddy, and lost in the other frequencies. I think I accomplished that.

I also have been a sucker for compression.....this file has NONE!!! :D :D I was able to get good levels and no have to do any of that sort of thing. I did a little white noise reduction and added a touch of reverb and here we go!!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10439260

I really hope you enjoy it! And if there is something odd that you hear or something is not quite right, please let me have it! LOL.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 27/03/2011 3:01 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Crystal clear. Nice playing as usual too. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 27/03/2011 6:02 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks! I don't know how many times I recorded that this week....and the guy who was really helping me out was brutal. Doug Young

He kept coming back and saying no....this is wrong...do this...still not right...no it sucks LOL.

I can finally go forward with my recording project lol.

Posted : 27/03/2011 6:14 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey Joe how did you finally come up with the final mic placement was it just try a spot record, listen and repeat until you got a recoding that sounded good or was there more to it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 30/03/2011 1:43 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

It was more trial and error than anything LOL.

BUT, I'm finding that I get alot of pressure in my right ear after listening back to these in a car or something.

I was trying to figure out a Mic placement that would help alleviate that, but I can't seem to find one. The F#, G, and G# on the D string cause me a lot of problems, and I don't really like the feeling do I get when listening back....I don't know what to do there.

Posted : 30/03/2011 4:05 pm
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Great playing man.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 31/03/2011 12:46 pm
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Thanks! I don't know how many times I recorded that this week....and the guy who was really helping me out was brutal. Doug Young

He kept coming back and saying no....this is wrong...do this...still not right...no it sucks LOL.

I can finally go forward with my recording project lol.

That's what a producer or a good teacher does. Be glad you have someone around like this. We could all use one.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 31/03/2011 12:47 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

OH I understand that completely....I wish I would stop getting lip service sometimes and tell it to me straight!

I'm uploading new files of things soon, there is problems either with me, or percieved volume coming from the Right in the 100-400hz range that hurts me right ear like crazy....so I've done some work with eq and such and I think I got it!

Posted : 31/03/2011 12:51 pm