A new song in open D

21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

You can blame Derekslide for this!

What happened was, a few days back he asked for suggestions for a couple of songs in open D to learn. I offered "Shelter From The Storm" and "Happy" and "Stuck In The Middle With You".....and then I thought, hmm, it's been a while since I played any of those myself. So I tuned the Acoustic to open D. Then, over the weekend, I've been listening to "Blood On The Tracks".....then, today, I read the latest assignment in the Sunday Songwriters Group and came up with some lyrics. Acoustic was still in open D, so I messed around with a few chords, and voila!

MP3's here..... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=225059 and the song's called "Back On Track." This is only a first rough demo, I'm still thinking about what to do next - torn between adding a second acoustic guitar track, with a slide solo, or leaving the guitar track alone and adding harmonica.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 03/08/2008 8:16 pm
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

Nice one Vic! 8) :note1: :note2: :note1:

Slip___Sliding___Away__________

Posted : 04/08/2008 12:03 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nice Vic. this key is suited to your vocal range. so hey,if you add harmonica I will add slide. pretty please.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 04/08/2008 12:44 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

nice Vic. this key is suited to your vocal range. so hey,if you add harmonica I will add slide. pretty please.

Sounds like a plan! Although - it might be better keeping the little intro run, and adding an extra verse - without vocals of course! - between the 2nd and 3rd verses. Easy enough to re-record it - but not now, at 3AM! What do you think?
Can I try to add a bluesy "easy solo to this" but it doesn't sound like I can its a straight forward song.

Feel free to have a go, Derek....it is pretty straight-forward. Chords used are D, Gadd9, and Asus4, but for the purposes of soloing over them, just think of them as D G and A - I, IV, V....slide solo shouldn't be too hard to play, using the 12th fret for D, 5th fret for A and 7th fret for G.

Hey, isn't it cool when someone likes your song enough to want to play on it!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 04/08/2008 1:10 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Very good Vic! 8)

I sense some cynasism here and there in the song. Double cool. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 04/08/2008 1:58 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Cool song Vic! 8)

Thanks for sharing.

Posted : 04/08/2008 8:17 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i really like this.

#4491....

Posted : 04/08/2008 12:00 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Good song Vic. :D

I like the idea of adding some harp & slide solos! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 04/08/2008 9:32 pm
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

Go for it Guy's!! 8)
I cant wait to hear it.

Slip___Sliding___Away__________

Posted : 04/08/2008 9:50 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, good work, Vic!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 04/08/2008 9:59 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

sorry vic, i dont know if its a problem at my end but i cant open the song. ive tried download, play in hi fi and play in lo fi and it keeps telling me error. :(

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 05/08/2008 10:52 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Very nice Vic. I enjoyed listening to it. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 05/08/2008 1:43 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Nice one Vic! :note2: Hey If randy adds some slide I could maybe add some bass and banjo :?:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 05/08/2008 3:50 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hey Vic, haven't been exposed to your music for a while so it's good to hear this. It's a cool little song, the guitar has a strong drive through it and the vocals flow very well. This must be one of the happiest songs about breaking-up I've ever heared btw, good for you!

You know what's funny btw, your songs are not just fairly 60s, early 70s style-wise but they have the same sound or vibe as well. This could easily sit on a 60s singer/songwriter compilation. 8)

Posted : 05/08/2008 7:17 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Nice one Vic! Hey If randy adds some slide I could maybe add some bass and banjo

Yeah, why not! I do want to re-record it anyway....so suggestions about where to leave space for you to fill in would be a help. I was just thinking of adding a verse worth of acoustic guitar, between the 2nd and 3rd verses, but maybe if I did it;

Intro; verse 1 with vocals; intro; verse 2, without vocals; intro; verse 3, with vocals; intro; verse 4, without vocals; verse 5, with vocals; and say two lots of the little intro for everyone to play over for the big finish?

Let me know what you think!

Vic

Posted : 05/08/2008 11:12 pm
Page 1 / 2