Alone - First recording of my own song

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Hi all

For those of you that don't know, I set myself a timescale of 1 year to learn to play the guitar, write a song and record it without any previous training and without any personal tutors - just using online sites such as this one to help me along the way.... :roll:

Well, those 365 days are up and this is the result - I have written about 50 songs, all of which need fine tuning and I chose this one because it was quite catchy and I had a chord structure of sorts rattling around in my head. I have to say that I'm quite proud of it and even though it's not the best recording I've made of it... :D it's one of the better ones without any real screamers.

I tried adding some backing drum tracks and other silly incidentals, but it just worked better for me as an acoustic, although I'd love to jam with some of you guys and add bass, drums and keyboard if you think it's worth it... :oops:

Anyways, here are the lyrics - I can't believe I was actually changing the lyrics in between each take (of which there was about 40). I may well change it again, but I'm relatively happy with it....

Alone...

Just walking, Just talking,
‘bout nuthin much
just keepin in touch.

shut the phone, walk on alone,
I catch her glance,
I see no chance.

she's out later, at the elevator,
on the dancefloor,
I check the score

Now i've known all kinds of girls
but I'm sure that I can see, that look, is just for me...

I buy the drinks, we dance real slow
friends tried to warn me, like a fool I just ignore and act real cool

she feels so good
she says let's go
she's looking fine
your place or mine?

we're at my place,
a change of face
show me the money
show me the money
show me the money
I know you got money

and you could say that i'm nieve
but I was sure that I could see,

and you could say that i'm nieve
I thought that smile was just for me...

Just walking,
Just talking,
‘bout nuthin much
just keepin in touch.
shut the phone,
walk on alone,
walk on alone,
walk on alone

Ok, can you have a listen and let me know what genre you would put me in...be brutally honest (unless its Europop, in which case lie through your teeth please). It's funny that I never really decided on the style of music i would write, it just happened naturally but I can't quite see where it fits. Ok, someone could do a heavy rock cover of it I suppose...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=l9nz64vVT4A

Anyways - I'll throw it open to discussion, and thanks everyone here at guitarnoise.com - a fantastic source of help and inspiration....

For those of you who can't constrain themselves and just want to hear the track, I've set up a soundclick page - exciting isn't it:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6908327

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 19/09/2008 5:26 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Dylan, independently of the rest of my post and the comment that you will receive from the other members, I want to tell you many congratulations. You achieve your goal and that is always something good. I've followed all your posts and I think I saw all your videos and the improvement has been amazing.

Now, the song and my comments.

Nice song, very cool! 8)

I like very much the way in which you add fills in some chords. You rhythm is perfect and the chord changes are very smooth. You also keep the tone with your voice. Are you sure you start to play guitar and sing one year ago?

Some ideas. When you finish the chorus you maintain the same chord. Perhaps you could add some changes based on suspended chords like you already do in other parts or a different voice for the same chord. Some simple notes in fingerpicking style? Perhaps from the arpeggiated chord? Some fills with an electric? Maybe another instrument? Harmonica? Just a comment. I like the way in which you play it. :D

Many congrats!

Rock on! :D

PS. If you need a bass, let me know. Next Monday will be my first month like bassist but I'd be very happy if I play in your band.

Posted : 20/09/2008 10:17 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hey mate. tis isn't an an end of a journey; it is a beginning of a long road you have set your foot upon.
I am trying to remember my first one year song. such a long time ago. (43 yrs). it was a simple string exercise. flat picking a melody then moving up the neck with simple chords. something like Harrison's 'Blackbird', but played by a fifteen year old. LOL.

you sing and play with comfort. well done. you have timing, an essential skill.
I have found , when recording acoustic guitar, that the bass strings sound boomy. I reduce that, as I feel it is uncontrolled and distracting, by not strumming the E and A string with much force. I come down on the strings, with the right hand, at a different angle to avoid them a bit. the result is a nice clear guitar sound on the record.
next, work your voice. simply, more feeling.

see you next year?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 20/09/2008 11:04 am
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Hi Dylan, what a difference a year makes....... I'm really impressed, that was just great :mrgreen: I'm in awe of what you've achieved in just 365 days.

Dylan Barrett - Singer/Songwriter 8)

Good luck in your search for a new electric axe.

Loved the out-takes at the end

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 20/09/2008 8:24 pm
(@davidhodge)

Well done, sir!

We'll have to have you play at an open mic should you ever come by this way.

You've certainly managed to do a lot in a year and your "first song" is certainly a lot better than the first one I wrote! As Dogbite says, this is another in a series of first steps, each one more thrilling than the last.

Don't you dare let us wait a year for your next song!

Peace

Posted : 20/09/2008 10:19 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've been following your progress, on and off, in the beginner's video thread; Dylan, you've come a long way in a year, my congratulations. As for the song - well, not exactly sure where I'd put it. Acoustic rock would be where I'd put in on Soundclick, if it were mine, if that's any help. I like the chords, I like the melody, the voice is good, the lyrics fit and flow nicely....I'd say that's a great effort for a first song.

I think a Telecaster for your first electric would be nice.....but I'm totally biased in favour of teles anyway, so Ignore me.

In conclusion, all I have to say is.....ROCK ON!

:D :D :D :D :D (I usually sign off with three smileys, but you deserve the extra couple for all the hard work you've put it - great feeling when it starts to pay off, isn't it!)

Vic

PS - The SSG's been pretty quiet lately - we could really do with some new blood. How do you fancy trying to improve your writing skills? Why not drop in and see us sometime, maybe try and write a song around a weekly topic? I've been contributing there for about four years, and just written my 100th song around a suggested topic or theme for the week - that's roughly half as prolific as your fifty songs in a year. And I can promise you, if you do manage to write something for the SSG, you'll get the same kind of constructive criticism as you've been getting in the Beginner's Video thread - we're there to help and encourage, not to shoot you down in flames. Try it - you never know, you might like it!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/09/2008 10:53 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Great job!!! About that journey thing.....Your just starting out :D Lots of fun and rewards on the road ahead :note1: :note2: Thanks for sharing.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 20/09/2008 11:33 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Watched it a bunch of times already, the whole process is just amazing. You're now a guitarist and singer/songwriter, go put that to use! If you'd need my help for anything just drop a PM. 8)

Posted : 23/09/2008 8:43 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Dylan,

Congratulations!! Very well done, I enjoyed coming in on the tail end of your journey and watching all the videos that you've posted.

Everything sounds great, you play well, and sing well along with it, kept time, just wow!

Look forward to seeing your videos up of when you play out live!! :D

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 23/09/2008 10:33 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Hey guys

Thanks for all your kind comments. I still can't stop smiling to myself that I've actually done it... :shock:

The songwriting was the easy part - the guitar playing was/is definitely harder than I thought it would be. I just wish I'd started playing 20 years ago, but then, I suppose we all say that. Apart from the child prodigies on the forum of course :roll:

I've got a stack of inspiration and words to put to music, but the problem has been that over the last 12 months my guitar has been an addiction - I've almost been sleeping with it and now I've recorded my song, I really need to concentrate on my full-time job that pays me money to live from day to day....

Oh well, back to the barre chords.... :wink:

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 23/09/2008 2:03 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Who needs money when you've got music?? The electric company accepts tunes right?

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 24/09/2008 2:50 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

i dont know how id class it, but the main thing for me is that it was catchy, well done on your achievement!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 27/09/2008 7:19 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

*claps* :mrgreen:

Well, I'm impressed. I like the way the lyrics work with the chord progression, nice combination - and you CAN SING :evil:

Just think what you'll be able to do in another year's time! 8)

[Forget about work, and do sleep with your guitar. I've heard it's a truely remarkable and unforgettable experience.]

Posted : 09/10/2008 6:46 am
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Dylan ditto on all the comments above and in particular your timing now that is impressive and its also a gift. Only one way to go and that's up between you and I, I have been playing close on 50 years and my timing has always been a problem :?

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.

http://www.gerrycooper.com/

Posted : 09/10/2008 9:30 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Hi all

Haven't had much time to get on the board recently.... :cry:

Thanks for all your comments, I feel quite humble really... I'm really happy with the song, it just needs tweaking, tightening up and recording properly (and probably another year of guitar playing to get the best out of the six strings).

I'm learning to use a pick to make my guitar sing a bit more and getting to grips with the barre's so my next song will be a little more adventurous on the chords...or maybe not - actually - no - it won't. Just had a nice thought for a song....

See you all soon...

Rock on!

D 8)

Posted : 26/10/2008 4:11 pm