Clear all

An Experiment In Creation / Challenge

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I've decided to try something a little different (if this is the wrong forum for this, mods, please move). The reason for the following post is three fold.

First, it is to help prod myself to continue working on this. Often I'll record some ideas and never follow up. Figured if I made it public, maybe I'd want to clean it up and head on to the next stage.

Second, I thought it might be cool to post up each stage of my song creation so others can see the process of improvement (hopefully).

Lastly, I'd like to challenge others to try this method and see what happens. Maybe even post up their results as well? I had a lot of fun doing this.

Anyway, here's what I've done so far and what I plan on doing.

Last night I'm messing around on the guitar as I do often (but not often enough). I come up with this little rhythm part that I think sounds cool. I decide I better record it before I forget it. Better do it in time too, so I first find a simple drum loop that I think sorta fits. I loop the drum track and play my new rhythm part over it until I get it fitting with the tempo. During this time I also come up with a few other sections of the song I think fit (or might). Great, this is kinda turning into a song already and I'm having fun. I click record and do the parts I've come up with and in the order I think they fit (ie, verse, chorus, fills, etc.) in one take. OK, not bad. Lots and lots of mistakes, but this is just the "molding" part as I see it. Get the general idea down, then record clean takes if it works.

At this point I can already hear some lead in my head too. I suck at lead, so I mess around with some ideas for a few minutes and then say "What the heck" and hit record (I actually hit record around the 1:40 mark, that is why you hear a click there). Again, this is just to get some ideas down. I can listen to it and see what works (if anything) and then record clean takes later. I did one take (you can even hear one of my dogs barking :D ). So many mistakes it isn't even funny, but I'm experimenting on the fly. Trying slightly different things, different places on the fret board, etc, just to see what works (within this general idea I have in my head). This is the result: (this isn't quite the whole part, but it is the meat of the track)

Disclaimer: Please keep in mind this is just the first stage in a multi stage process.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6866528

OK, now that you've heard how bad it is, hopefully the next stage, when complete, will be better.

The next stage, as I see it, will be to get the rhythm part recorded without any (or just a few in my case) mistakes. I'll probably also work on the drum track and add some fills and different tracks to add some variety to it. I plan on working on this stage this weekend. I'll post a reply with the results when I have them. After that, I'll work on some lead again, trying to get it cleaned up. Then, who knows. This is an experiment after all. :D

So, what do you think of my idea (not the song, the showing of the process)?

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 05/09/2008 2:02 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I like it, Jason. It's always interesting - to me, anyway - to see the germ of an idea become a seed, then burst forth into flower.

I'm working on something new myself - someone showed me a cool new chord the other week, and I've been playing around with it, found other chords that go with it, and I've got virtually a complete song.....verses, riffs, a chorus (which might become a coda as well)....trouble is, I usually write the other way around - I get an idea for lyrics, fool around with a melody and write lyrics first with a rough idea of how the melody/chords are going to work into it. I've only added lyrics to a completed song once or twice, and neither of those worked out too well - maybe third time lucky, eh?

I'll be following your song project with interest, best of luck with it!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/09/2008 10:14 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The track is very good. I specially like the tone of the rhythmic guitar, I don't know if "full" would be the correct word.

The drums track is Ok, too, it isn't busy and maintain perfectly the song rhythm. Perfect for that style!

I'll keep reading for future updates! Keep us informed!

Good job!

Posted : 06/09/2008 9:48 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nice work. I really like the rhythm guitars. they set up a cool groove.

my method is somewhat like your song creation experiment. usually I have a rhythm in my head. by the time I start up the computer to record I have the chords and changes already in my head. while I record the rhythm track I begin to hear the beats and tempo and what percussion I should use. sometimes the rhythm track is scratched and I make another as the song fills out.
many times I end up keeping the original, as it is the 'birthed' form of the idea. as an artist I found that leaving those be is best. unlike Vic, I haven't lyrics. I'm not much of a lyricist. perhaps that's why I love redoing covers so much.

I think there can be many ways to approach a song creation. a drum track can be very inspiring. building a song around a melody is great fun. I think essential at some point one has to decide and push the song there. mood, atmosphere, parts, are important things in defining or expressing the song idea.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 06/09/2008 3:27 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys! I can't write lyrics well either, so I almost always start with a riff and work from there. Drives my buddy nuts since he is like Vic. He starts with lyrics and writes around them.

Man, that lead on that stage was horrible! :lol: Listening to it again this morning made me embarrassed I even posted it! :D Part of the experiment though I suppose.

I've spent some time this morning working on the rhythm part. I actually started with trying to spice up the drum track a bit, but quickly found that is going to take a bit of work. Since the tempo is set, I decided I'll continue working on the other pieces for now and come back to the drums. Besides, I have a buddy that is really good with creating drum tracks. Worst case, I ask for his assistance.

I'm still not sure about the transition from verse to chorus (I guess that's what it is anyway). It seems a bit abrupt without anything else playing.

Oh, and this is raw. No post effects or anything. I haven't even adjusted the track levels or anything.

Here's the stage 2 part:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6869298

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 06/09/2008 4:34 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Good idea to try to stay on track with a new idea Jason. I like what you've got laid down so far. Looking forward to following the song's progression.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 06/09/2008 6:56 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Who needs lyrics with that tone?

Cool! 8)

Posted : 06/09/2008 9:10 pm