Clear all

An old guitar is all he can afford...

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Just recorded the first verse of Sultans of Swing.

Would love to get some feedback. The backing track is from those lovely people at guitarbt.com but the rest is me. Been working on this for some time now. I've pretty much got the whole lead part down up to the second solo. I just need to work on tightening it up before I unleash it on the public. And getting the second solo weighed off of course.

Will post the whole song once I've cracked it. Just thought I post a teaser. :wink:

You're thoughts, comments, suggestions as always are appreciated.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 01/04/2007 12:51 pm
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

Sounds like its coming along well - nice tone....be a little more confident......your phrasing should start more deliberately when you start a section.

Well done!

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

Posted : 01/04/2007 1:02 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

NTG had a good handle on it :D Good job, just be a little more assertive, show that guitar who is boss :twisted:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 02/04/2007 4:38 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Cheers for the feedback guys. It was kind of what I was expecting. I didn't realise it wasn't quite as sharp as it should be until I recorded myself.

Hopefully in the next week or so I should have the whole song weighed off. I'll post it all then and see if it's come on any.

It's definitely good for practice to record yourself and listen back.

Once again many thanks.

8)

Posted : 02/04/2007 5:16 pm
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I agree with the previous comments, you guitar sounds shy but liven it up and you'll sound awesome.

P.S. I listened to your Hotel California recording and you sounded excellent, amazing job!! 8)

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

Posted : 03/04/2007 5:06 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Nexion.

I haven't recorded myself playing Hotel recently. It'd be an interesting exercise record it again to see how that has improved. I also intend to revisit Hotel and learn the solo in the very near future. Talk about setting my sights high. :shock:

I didn't think Sultans was within my reach but my guitar teacher seems to think I'm ready for it so who am I to argue.

Thanks again for all the comments.

8)

Posted : 03/04/2007 4:43 pm
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I didn't think Sultans was within my reach but my guitar teacher seems to think I'm ready for it so who am I to argue.

That's the best way to improve, strive for goals that seem "out of your reach".

Otherwise you're at a permanent plateau.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

Posted : 03/04/2007 7:38 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Wise words indeed.

8)

Posted : 03/04/2007 9:21 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

A couple of the chords sound like either: one of the strings isn't tuned 100% correctly, or there's a wrong note in their somewhere...

Could just be my imagination.

Other than that, sounds very cool. love the song, can't wait to hear the rest of it.

Do you sing?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 04/04/2007 1:28 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Do you sing?

Badly. :lol:

Singing while playing is something I've only just started working on. The nice thing about Sultans is that the lyrics come between the lead fills (or is that the other way round) so I do find myself singing along while I'm playing. Much to the annoyance of the rest of the household. I'm not sure it's good practice but I take some of my cues for some of the fills from the lyrics as they don't always start exactly where you would expect from the music. When moving from playing to the actual song off the CD to playing with a backing track with no lyrics I found it quite tricky to get some of the fills timed just right. It is coming but I do tend to rely quite heavily on the lyrical cues.

Is taking cues from the lyrics something I should not get into the habit of doing or is it acceptable practice?

As for recording me singing to Sultans I'll give it a go and see what happens. :shock:

8)

Posted : 04/04/2007 5:49 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Don't see any reason that wouldn't be acceptable practice...Eventually you'll want to be able to do it without lyrics in front of you, but that will come with the practice.

You don't even have to do it while you are playing the guitar. That's the beautey of recording: You can record the rhythm, then the lead, then your voice if you want to.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 04/04/2007 5:10 pm
(@cringe)
Estimable Member

I think (don't invest too much in this because I have no rhythm) you are a bit behind the beat. You need to drive the song.

It's one of my favorite songs though, do you have a chord chart or tab for it? I've been afraid to attempt it... knopfler is a great guitar player.

Posted : 08/04/2007 2:12 am