Clear all

Another GN Colab

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

OK, this one was the 2010 Autumn Jam. Tomorrow is February. We finally got it done. a few contributing factors, such as two holiday seasons, the leader getting used to a new medication regimine, one member dropping out to make his own video and most importantly, I chose a difficult backing track. It is made, though, and I have Don's and hammer1's blessings to release it.

The backing track is basically that SRV song, 'House is a rockin. It's fast and doesn't leave a lot of space. Don made his own space. He plowed a hole right down through the center. Hammer1 and I went with the flow, and a quick flow it was. But with everything, I learned something. slow songs rule!!!!!

Anyhow, here's the "Autumn" GN colab at long last. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10214327
Hammer1 starts us off.
I follow in his footsteps in a non-stalking manner at 1:42
Don shows us up with some imagination at the 3:00 mark and brings the whole thing home.

Enjoy!!!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 31/01/2011 4:58 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Pretty rockin'!!!

Sounded great everyone!!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 31/01/2011 2:04 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Good job you guys.

You sure didn't miss anything not having me around.

Well done!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 05/02/2011 9:51 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Roy, you need to get together with me and the boy sometime!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 06/02/2011 3:59 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

Good post - what impressed my by far was the fact that despite you all having such a long slot to play over - none of you fell into a trap of being too repetative or running out of places to go with your playing.

Hammer, a great opening lick, really rock n roll and kicked your piece of well!!

Roy, your lead playing is just gettingt better and better from what i have heard over the last 12 months or so on here!!

Boxboy, love the "hank marvin esq tone" - nice way to bring it home!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 06/02/2011 6:16 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hank Marvin? That what that was? I liked the way it sounded, I know that. Cool 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 07/02/2011 12:01 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I missed this. Good job guys!

Posted : 07/02/2011 2:38 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Thanks for the feedback guys!
I made the patch for my slot a long time ago, just aiming for a clean reverb-y tone. If it sounds like Hank Marvin, that's great! He's amazing. 8)
If you want to play Guess The Riff, I, er, borrowed a famous one for the start of my slot. It's the little trebly phrase you hear repeated for the first 30 seconds or so. Original is in a different key.
Thanks again for hosting Roy! That was a real challenge.
:)

Don

Posted : 07/02/2011 2:48 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks for giving this a listen, everyone. Yes, this one was a bit of a challenge. Last time my fingers moved that fast, I was making childish flubity noises at classmates in 4th grade or something. That, and the part near the end where the BT stays on the same chord for some extra measures. 'Oy!

I'm thinking of something for the spring if no-one has anything else in mind. Kind of fun. Nuno has done this. It comes from the Blues You Can Use lesson book. Details maybe later in the week in the colab section. :D :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 07/02/2011 3:41 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Roy, you need to get together with me and the boy sometime!
That would be so cool! Perhaps someday. I plan on recovering enough to ride my motorcycle up that way to visit with my Mother, so I might have to borrow one of your toys in order to jam with you. :mrgreen:

Well, that's my goal anyhow. :|

Roy

Posted : 07/02/2011 6:34 pm