Clear all

Apache

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I'm attempting a cover of the classic 1960 hit Apache by The Shadows. I still consider myself a novice so it is far from perfect and there is plenty for me to work on. I wanted to get something down so I can come back to this at a later date and see if I can play it properly. I was born 7 years after this was recorded and always thought The Shadows were pretty lame, how wrong I was! When I started learning guitar all I wanted to play was Ramones and old Punk rock songs and I would have laughed if you told me I would be learning Shadows tunes, but these days I seem to be listening to a lot of Shadows and Ventures music.

Any feedback welcomed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrl04ZRBocQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 03/08/2010 6:37 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

First things first - you need to use the trem to get the "shimmer" on your sound. It only needs the smallest amount.

You'll two things from it. 1) Because you're playing near the neck, you get a more rounded sound. 2) You'll get used to floating your hand over the strings.

The other thing is to relax and enjoy it.

Oh, and watch your PMs

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 04/08/2010 3:54 pm
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Greybeard thanks for taking the time to watch and post.
First things first - you need to use the trem to get the "shimmer" on your sound. It only needs the smallest amount.

Its integral to the song and I'm hoping to get to work on it, just feels awkward to use at this point. I don't keep the Trem arm on it, infact yesterday is probally the longest its ever been on it and I didn't use it very much . I took it straight off again but maybe I need to get used to it being on even if I'm not using it. I just seemed to off fallen into preferring it not on.

Posted : 04/08/2010 8:33 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I love this song and those bands. It reminds when I was a child. There was a Spanish group called Pekenikes who played those kind of instrumental music.

Well. I agree with the comments by Greybeard, perhaps you should practice those new sings but this cover sounds very good to me.

Well done!

Posted : 05/08/2010 1:10 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I was born 7 years after this was recorded and always thought The Shadows were pretty lame, how wrong I was! When I started learning guitar all I wanted to play was Ramones and old Punk rock songs and I would have laughed if you told me I would be learning Shadows tunes, but these days I seem to be listening to a lot of Shadows and Ventures music.

I really enjoyed that, jase36. What a workout! Lots of dynamics and tricky little passages. Good advice from greybeard but you've made great progress. Nice going!
:)

Don

Posted : 05/08/2010 6:37 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Apache was the first tune I learnt, which would be a couple of years after it came out.

After a 35 year hiatus, I picked up a guitar and relearnt........Apache.

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 05/08/2010 7:29 pm
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

Very nice! I heard this song recently after my friend said his son played it, its a cool guitar focused tune to have under your fingers.

Posted : 07/08/2010 12:45 pm
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the replies and for looking at the video.
Boxboy
What a workout! Lots of dynamics and tricky little passages.

It actually breaks down so well for learning purposes and so many techniques bends, slides, mutes and tremelo bar :oops:
Greybeard
Apache was the first tune I learnt, which would be a couple of years after it came out.

After a 35 year hiatus, I picked up a guitar and relearnt

Thats a long time I struggle to remember tunes I learnt 3 months ago. I'm wondering if you learnt Apache a couple of years after it came out that you probally learnt it on acoustic as Im guessing not many learner guitar players would have had an electric at that time. Its amazing how 50 years on people are still trying to get that Hank sound, its apparently the most searched for guitar tone on the internet!

Posted : 14/08/2010 1:03 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'm wondering if you learnt Apache a couple of years after it came out that you probally learnt it on acoustic as Im guessing not many learner guitar players would have had an electric at that time.
No, actually I learnt it on an electric, which I still own (I also have the amp). It is a Höfner V2, made, I believe, in 1961.

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 14/08/2010 5:20 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That was very well done.

Congrats on the recording.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 13/10/2010 9:42 pm
(@jase36)