Clear all

Apocalypse Perhaps (Original)

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@elpantalla)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Today I was messing around with my old school 1960's airline acoustic in open D when I came up with a juicy little melody. Within the hour i had lyrics and a decent structure. Recorded it in 15 minutes and here it is. My favorite of my songs always seem to come to me like this. Tell me what you think.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=746552&songID=7052913

One chord is fine.
Two you're pushing it.
Three and you're into jazz.

Posted : 11/11/2008 11:17 pm
(@surly)
Trusted Member

I really dig this. Liked it as soon as it started. I can hear the REM influences.
Im a big fan of political/socially aware songwriting when done properly. The biggest mistake is to be too preachy, that whole 'I have seen the truth and now I shall bestow it on thee lesser mortals' approach. But I think this song doesnt do that at all.
If anything it might be a bit too generic, ie: sometimes moving toward using overly broad 'buildings burning, children crying' kinda material which has become cliched from so many so called 'political' songs. But I think the chorus provides a different angle to the whole thing so it works. And the 'grow some wings' ending ties everything up nicely.
I actually wouldnt be unhappy if it finished with 'aint got wings' so the song was a bit more open ended and let the listener kinda decide what the future will bring. but whether you want a tie it off or let it sit open is a matter of preference.

yeah, anyway, I dig it!

Posted : 11/11/2008 11:54 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Very good, I'm amazed at the time frame.

As a Theoretical Anarchist, I was hooked at the "government's collapsing" line.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 12/11/2008 2:58 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Wow, like 15 minutes? Amazing, great song!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 12/11/2008 4:53 am
(@guitar_guy)
Eminent Member

Cool stuff! Interesting title too

http://www.jammingbudz.com/jamming-space/GuitarGuy

Posted : 12/11/2008 5:27 pm