Clear all

Beginners and intermediate players - posting recordings

49 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
13.2 K Views
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member

I have done these things. Purchased a microphone, downloaded audacity, and registered with dmusic (although they haven't sent me a confirmation email, something that usually happens quickly, and this is preventing me from logging on.)

I say this not because anyone is dying to hear me play, but having announced it publicly does give me some motive to record something and post it.
Holy sweet Jesus, I had to thank my wife last night for not slitting my throat while I sleep.

So, yeah, I recorded myself playing a few of the songs I play "best". My wife and daughter always tell me I sound nice when I play, but now I know they're just being nice. How they put up with it, I don't know.

Recordings don't lie like loved ones do. I might go back to knitting.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

Posted : 15/08/2006 12:08 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hehe, yeah, recordings tend to be brutally honest. :D But on the other hand, nothing allows you to pinpoint weaknesses as good as recording yourself and listening back. If you've got the gear, make a habbit of recording yourself once every week.

Posted : 15/08/2006 12:20 pm
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member

sweet idea, I'm in the less than 5 years category lol, ill be sure to post!!

Posted : 15/08/2006 1:17 pm
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member

ok, posted some acoustic guitar, might post another later its called acoustic G lol original!

Posted : 15/08/2006 2:13 pm
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member

Hehe, yeah, recordings tend to be brutally honest. :D But on the other hand, nothing allows you to pinpoint weaknesses as good as recording yourself and listening back. If you've got the gear, make a habbit of recording yourself once every week.
Yes, I hope I will. Has also given me an idea of what to work with with my teacher. Lots of fundamentals.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

Posted : 15/08/2006 3:12 pm
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Capital Idea.

I am in as well ...

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

Posted : 15/08/2006 5:28 pm
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

Been playing just over a year... I'll try and post something.

Posted : 15/08/2006 6:30 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Y'all don't forget to come out and play in the "Guess That Riff" game now that you're getting set up to record!

I am as intermediate as they come -

Just listened to some of your recordings - I hope to one day be as "intermediate" as you!
Major karma points headed your way for starting this thread, too.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 15/08/2006 6:51 pm
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Y'all don't forget to come out and play in the "Guess That Riff" game now that you're getting set up to record!

I'll second that one!

This is a great idea. I'll try to get get something recorded. I suppose I'll be in the intermediate category, but I sure don't feel like it! I've been playing just over a year and a half.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

Posted : 15/08/2006 7:57 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

This will be a good excuse to buy that Toneport I had my eye on for the last few months! :D

Posted : 15/08/2006 8:17 pm
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Well mine are up in the "hear here" section.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

Posted : 16/08/2006 4:33 am
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

This will be a good excuse to buy that Toneport I had my eye on for the last few months! :D

I bought a toneport UX2 a few months ago they are superb.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

Posted : 16/08/2006 10:58 am
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Thanks for the review Bobblehat. Did you also try the UX1? I was thinking that they are pretty much the same, except the 2 has more options for lines in. All I need is one input for guitar and one for a mic.

Posted : 16/08/2006 1:25 pm
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Dont know what the difference in price difference is in states but I would go with the UX2 if you can afford it.XLR sockets and additional input for active pickups could come in handy for you in the future.

Make sure you got a USB2 slot in your P.C. as it don't like working with USB1.

cheers

bob

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

Posted : 16/08/2006 3:15 pm
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Great Idea
I myself will fall in the 2-5 years intermidiate categori.

You don´t need expensive PC equipment to get fairly good recordings.
My PC is only a 1800 MHz, 512 MB RAM and having a low cost Soundblaster Live! 24 bit soundcard.
And using the free SW Kristal Audio Engine and/or Reaper 0.999 doesn´t cost a thing.
Comment; I am not so found of Audacity as it doesn´t supports ASIO 2 sound drivers that is needed when using a low cost soundcard to avoid latency/delay problems.

The mic ($20) and mixer($40) equipment are also low cost (se below)

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

Posted : 16/08/2006 3:32 pm
Page 2 / 4