Beginners and intermediate players - posting recordings

49 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
13.2 K Views
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

This thread is a good idea. I consider myself a beginnger, although if I count some of the time I played guitar 30 years ago, I might fall in the intermediate. But, I pretty much had to start from scratch again, except for some theoretical knowledge.

I have couple of mine posted already at my dmusic page. Do comment.

I have another small piece that is brewing, just haven't found the time to polish it enough to record yet.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

Posted : 16/08/2006 4:42 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I'm in!

Have been playing more and less intesively for about 15-20 years, but I didn't really start out on the electric before 1 1/2 year ago. Posted some picks of my thinline Tele before summer and said I might record 'hideaway' - well, it's there...

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 16/08/2006 7:28 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Great idea.

I'm hoping to get something in but it may be struggle to meet a deadline of 08 Sept as I'm really busy for the next couple of weeks or so. Finding time to practice at the moment is dificult enough.

I'll definately give it a go though when things settle down. It will coincide with my first year anniversary since I started playing - give or take a week or two - so it will be good to get some feedback from someone other than my nearest and dearest.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 17/08/2006 10:46 am
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

OK guys - for my recording, I will do either:

1. 38 Special - Hold On Loosely - I just started jamming with a bass player *from my office) and drummer and we've learned this song. I just found a decent backing track that I might use....but I need to also learn the rhythm guitar parts.....

2. Chili Peppers - Funky Monks - Its in the new issue of Total Guitar Magazine which I just got.

If you can't do Sept 8 - let's at least try for September.......2006 :D

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

Posted : 19/08/2006 3:41 am
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

OK guys - for my recording, I will do either:

1. 38 Special - Hold On Loosely - I just started jamming with a bass player *from my office) and drummer and we've learned this song. I just found a decent backing track that I might use....but I need to also learn the rhythm guitar parts.....

2. Chili Peppers - Funky Monks - Its in the new issue of Total Guitar Magazine which I just got.

If you can't do Sept 8 - let's at least try for September.......2006 :D
Hold on Loosely is a great song. Its one of my favorites to play. I love playing old 38 songs. Anyway where did you get the backing track for this song. Just wondering, since I have never used one while playing. I am sure its a blast tho.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

Posted : 19/08/2006 3:55 am
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

OK - I posted mine in the "Hear hear" section- Hold on Loosely - I woke up this AM (actually my dog woke me up this AM), so I jumped downstairs and started playing......

I found the backing track on guitars101.com - PM me if you want it.

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

Posted : 19/08/2006 5:07 pm
(@feloniuspunk1)

Where is the Hear, Here section?

KILL WHITEY!

Posted : 19/08/2006 6:45 pm
(@aarrgg)
Eminent Member

Here

"I face myself, to cross out what I've become
erase myself, and let go of what I've done"
- Linkin Park

Posted : 19/08/2006 7:36 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I recorded some guitar over the weekend. According to me I should be intermediate as I've been playing for more then 18 months, but exceptions exemplify the rules or some such talk. Feel free to check it out.

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?p=242568#242568

Posted : 21/08/2006 12:43 pm
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I'm in.

'Course, I've got to manage to get a decent recording done. This is actually a really good learning thing for me, I've never recorded myself before and having to listen to myself is sharpening my ear a bit. Also, it's pretty frustrating - I have to get all the way through the song in one go and that turns out to be harder than I'd thought. It's funny how pressing "record" seems to give me the same sort of jitters and tendency to choke that going on stage would.

In the end, the discipline of trying to get a decent recording done is going to do me a lot of good. I'll post sometime soon.

Posted : 23/08/2006 12:12 am
(@losodo)
Eminent Member

Wow, that's a great idea. I haven't recorded myself in 7 or 8 years, at least...

Can't wait to hear everyone play... I'm gonna try to get something together. Drum machines OK to use? 8)

EDIT: @quarterfront. LoL! I feel the same way about pressing 'record'.

First I bought it, then I paid for it.

Posted : 23/08/2006 5:56 am
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Ok, I've posted my beginner piece; here's the link to my posting in the "Hear Here" forum.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

Posted : 26/08/2006 7:45 am
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Okay, I've posted my contribution to the challenge over on the Hear Here forum. Here's a link to the topic.

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?p=244870#244870

I'm still working on this song. It's my own composition and I'm happy with the backing but still working on the lead part. That said, I don't know that I'll have it any better by Sept. 8th, which I'm treating as the "deadline" and I'm going away for the weekend so....

....give it a listen. Please!

Thanks,
Shane

P.S. For the record, I've been playing for 1 year and 10 months. I guess I'm "Intermediate".

Posted : 31/08/2006 8:10 pm
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

i just posted a vid of me playing fell in love with a girl on youtube so check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFPdtbvBlR4

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

Posted : 03/09/2006 4:29 pm
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I will post recordings as soon as I get some recording gear. :cool:

Great challenge NotTheGuy.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

Posted : 03/09/2006 9:59 pm
Page 3 / 4