Clear all

Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.6 K Views
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

The fretboards on those Ibanez guitars are wider than Strat type fretboards. They're even a bit wider than Les Paul fretboards but they are also very shallow necks which really compensates. A local luthier here lovingly calles them hockey sticks cause they're so thin.

Ooh! Hockey Stick! GO Habs GO :wink:

That's why there are so playable! It made a big difference from my other electric guitar

And KenRogers2, it's my teacher that gave me the Stairway To Heaven tab, so I don't know where he got it but I saw the same version on the net. You should download PowerTab, it's a nice software that shows you the tab AND the note (so you can see the note duration) And you can also play that tab on your computer and play with it. It's easier to get the beat with that.

Check this out:
Power tab (FREE): http://www.power-tab.net/
Stairway to heaven tab: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/led_zeppelin/stairway_to_heaven_power_tab.htm

Good luck!

** I got to go now, I'm going to see Bon Jovi tonight at the Bell Center! :D

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 14/11/2007 8:31 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Nice playing all...but I actually stopped in to say:
GO Habs GO!
:)

Don

Posted : 14/11/2007 8:52 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Very nice Claudine!
Congrats! :D

I think I said previously but +1 on your fingers! :wink:

Hueseph, probably you are right on the price, the Clau's link is to an Australian site. I guess they are Australian dollars (I don't know the change rate to Canadian dollars).

Posted : 14/11/2007 10:48 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Whhhaaaaat... :shock: C'mon Ken - Stairway to Heaven - reckon we're gonna have to kick you off the 'beginners' video string if you are attempting that one.... :lol: Maybe up to: 'Ooooooh and it makes me wonder......' But not too good mind! :wink:

Hey Dylan, I found this YouTube lesson and tried it about a week ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlXAtDA9xgo (Lot's of video lessons for STH)
It took me a half hour to get the first 3 fingerings. And then my fingers cramped up.
I saw Clau's video and went back to the video and tried again and amazingly it only took me 10 minutes to get the first 3 fingerings. I was amazed!
At this rate, by the year 2010 I might get it.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 15/11/2007 12:10 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

At this rate, by the year 2010 I might get it.

Hey Ken, what a great video lesson - I'm gonna have to give this a go... :D I can see why you got finger cramp - there's some nice wide stretches there...

Does this mean we're not going to get a video from you until 2010? :cry: I reckon you need to post one next week and show us all how your getting on up the staircase :wink:

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 15/11/2007 8:37 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Does this mean we're not going to get a video from you until 2010? :cry: I reckon you need to post one next week and show us all how your getting on up the staircase :wink:
I don't have a webcam yet. But maybe Santa . . .
I am getting pretty good with House of the Rising Sun though.

Here's another video that I am also working on. Norwegian Wood (I Knew She Would)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ebJojBYiNg
Getting my pinky to work for me is another obstacle. My pinky points inwards, not outwards.
Right now I'm just working on the melody. I love to just stop what I'm doing in practicing scales and chords and such and just play that little ditty.
The pinky stretch is easier if you put a capo at the 2nd fret. Which (I've read) is the 'more conventional' key to play it.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 15/11/2007 2:14 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Very good everyone. What a great thread. It's inspiring me to get a web-cam or something.

I've been playing for 4 years now, but with several very long breaks. I still consider myself a beginner, so I might end up posting something here. I've concentrated almost entirely on rhythm. I do no finger-picking what-so-ever and very little lead.

I noticed something on Jenny's and Isabella's videos that I find that I find with myself. The timing seems to be a bit better when you're singing. I think singing the song helps keep one in timing better. It was really evident on Wish You Were Here.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 15/11/2007 4:05 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

I use my photo camera to take video... Don't know if you have a camera like that...

I thought it was my own

Posted : 16/11/2007 5:11 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

4 days without a new video...

We're all practicing too hard to have the time to upload? :wink:

I may try to get this thread start again tomorrow (I should have say later, cause like I said when I was younger "we are now tommorow" :lol: )

I thought it was my own

Posted : 19/11/2007 4:38 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Haha sorry - I'm away in France at the mo, so no facility to record anything. I'm keeping an eye on what YOU're all up to though 8)

Posted : 19/11/2007 7:33 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Haha also out of the country on business at the moment and missing my guitar like crazy... :cry:

Still, new video camera turned up along with the microphone so when I get back, I'm going to record my appalling effort of the classic intro to Stairway to Heaven - thanks Ken :roll: so something to look forward to before the weekend hopefully... Not sure about the camera - it came straight from Honk Kong and looks so much smaller than it did in the pictures on ebay... :lol:

See you all very soon....I hope...

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 19/11/2007 10:18 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Well, I'll be coming up on my 3 month mark next month (Dec 11) so I'll go shopping for a webcam pretty soon and upload my video for all to laugh at.
I guess I need to learn how to show a video clip on my personal web page.
I could post it to YouTube but I don't want to do that to the world. LOL
I haven't checked out MySpace yet. Maybe I can create a (dare I say it?) busking page there. LOL

Your humble minstrel,
Ken

Posted : 19/11/2007 10:23 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Well, I'll be coming up on my 3 month mark next month (Dec 11) so I'll go shopping for a webcam pretty soon and upload my video for all to laugh at.
I guess I need to learn how to show a video clip on my personal web page.
I could post it to YouTube but I don't want to do that to the world. LOL
I haven't checked out MySpace yet. Maybe I can create a (dare I say it?) busking page there. LOL

Your humble minstrel,
Ken

Try photobucket.com

It's less known and comments are not allowed...

I thought it was my own

Posted : 20/11/2007 1:52 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Allrighty, went out and bought the webcam, clipped it on to my laptop and here we go . . . .
or as Dylan would say, "Hit it!" (no laughing please . . . be kind)

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/kenrogers2/?action=view&current=HOTRS1.flv

I think you can see one of my dogs roll over (probably in agony)
The other was in the closet. LOL

Posted : 20/11/2007 3:37 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Nice arpeggios! :D

I thought it was my own

Posted : 20/11/2007 3:43 am
Page 10 / 73