Clear all

Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.8 K Views
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

hee hee, yeah,you me and dylan, i think Stellabloo is a bit too good 4 us! :lol:

Posted : 07/10/2007 7:38 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

hee hee, yeah,you me and dylan, i think Stellabloo is a bit too good 4 us! :lol:
Yeah but that's okay, she can be our teacher. You don't mind, Stella, do you? :mrgreen:

Posted : 07/10/2007 8:32 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Way to go jenny b! 8)

Keep at it! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 07/10/2007 9:30 pm
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

Since I've been working on some of these same songs (House of the Rising Sun, Dust in the Wind, Horse with No Name, etc) I really need to figure out a way to record a video with my digital camera (it has movie mode, I think I broke my webcam). Until then, I'll just have to settle for "Beginner's sound clips". ;)

Posted : 07/10/2007 11:51 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

First post here so please be kind :)

Watching some of the beginner's videos here has been quite inspirational. Here without further ado is my own humble youtube offering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIqpcWfFzo

I've been playing for about 6 months and am looking forward to getting better soon :roll:

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 08/10/2007 12:48 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yay Simon, thanks for contributing.

I see you play in the pro league with stellabloo :D Good on you, I hope I can play like you in 2/3 months time!

Posted : 08/10/2007 4:16 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Yay Simon, thanks for contributing.

I see you play in the pro league with stellabloo :D Good on you, I hope I can play like you in 2/3 months time!
'Pro league'?? Thats the funniest thing I've heard for days.... Stella is fingerpicking with what sounds like an alternating bass line(Way beyond my abilities), I'm just hammering out 3 chords in a I IV V pattern. Thanks anyway. :mrgreen:
This is the first time that anyone except my family and guitar teacher has heard me play and it took some nerve to post myself on youtube for all to see :shock:
Much kudos to all of us newbs for posting our first faltering steps!

Cheers,
Simon

Posted : 08/10/2007 4:42 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Whoooooooooaaaaaaaaa - this is getting good.

Now come one - everyone has to wear shades, even if you can't see what the heck you're playing.... :lol:

The only problem I see with all of these videos is.... I'm going to have to get myself a better camera...eventually...

Superb Isabelle - the shades are perfect and get the DB seal of approval. I reckon we're going to be on to a winner when we can wear shades and not look at our hands during a whole tune...

Jenny, Simon and Stella - get some shades - you know it makes sense.... Keep Groovin

Now don't it make you feel a whole lot better inside?

Dylan 8)

Hmmmm, Riders on the Storm.... Nooooooooooooo

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 08/10/2007 6:38 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

:oops: :oops: :oops: pro league hardly!! but thank you - you can boot me off this thread when I can demonstrate the F*** F chord :twisted:

NIce work singing AND playing, Jenny - that takes a lot of co-ordination, more than I have ... and Simon you are AWESOME for 6 months - what's your practice schedule !?

This is prob the best thing to happen to my guitar BTW since finding Guitarnoise :D I am a closet busker trying hard to 'come out' LOL ... but there is nothing like the pressure of performing LIVE to raise my personal bar - and make me realize I am still a beginner (OK somewhere else someone posted that it takes FIVE YEARS to really 'get' a song, that makes me feel better!)
... hehe we will have to start another thread titled "So you THINK you can play guitar" :wink:

Anyway I did a quick cover of Fire, Lesson #19 -channelling Pointer Sisters as best as I can - as this was one of the easier songs to learn and formed a good foundation for the other pop songs I learned since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Uvn_W5Pow

Good lesson in use of thumb to set rhythm ( really - for Natural Mystic I am only alternating with the thumb between 2 strings to break up the Am7, hardly advanced fingerpicking but thank you again). As for wearing shades... give me five years. 8)

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 08/10/2007 6:42 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Dylan, I tried playing with my wayfarers on but I didnt sound any better. Didnt look any better either. I suppose at the very least people may not recognise me as 'that bloke' trying to pass himself off as a guitarist on youtube :mrgreen:

Stella, I practice every spare second I get. Usually in the early morning and late evening. It probably works out at about 45 minutes a day in total and I also take lessons once a week. I also jam a little with my brother in law whenever I get the chance. This is probably more time than I can spare but I really enjoy every minute that I have a guitar in my hands. I find it almost impossible to be angry/upset/stressed whilst playing (Unless you want me to play a full 'F' actually in a tune)

Isabelle, buy him his own guitar..... You'll be amazed by how fast he'll learn. My son is a little older than yours (James is nearly nine) and loves jumping around the bedroom with his 3/4 size strat scaring the neighbours with his power chords. He looks better in sunglasses than I do too :roll:

Cheers,
Simon

Posted : 08/10/2007 7:17 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great job Simon, you have a very good sense of rythym. 8)

Nice addittion Stella. :D I agree with you about the "performing live" theory. We didn't have youtube and home pc's when I started playing back in the stone age! The only thing close was to get together with some friends, but I think posting your vids for all to see adds some extra "live" feeling to it. Should be a great motivator for the posters & the watchers alike.

Kudos to everyone who posts their vids! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 09/10/2007 10:44 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Superb Isabelle - the shades are perfect and get the DB seal of approval. I reckon we're going to be on to a winner when we can wear shades and not look at our hands during a whole tune...
and... HEADBANG :mrgreen:

Posted : 09/10/2007 6:58 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Isabelle, buy him his own guitar..... You'll be amazed by how fast he'll learn.

I've already thought about it. He's got his 2nd birthday coming up in December, so he's still a little bit young for a real guitar, but I'm sure between his birthday and Christmas, mum and Santa will manage to get him a toy guitar of some sort :D

Posted : 09/10/2007 7:02 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Dust in the wind WITH A VENGEANCE :evil:

FREE BONUS: the answer to difficult chord changes.

Posted : 10/10/2007 4:07 pm
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

Alright, time to embarrass myself. :twisted:

I went with Dylan's classic black and white look. And because I was recording from mere inches away, I made separate videos, one for left-hand, one for right-hand. I also only went as far as the intro since it was my first try at recording.

Left hand - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYanoDDIies
Right hand - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHnw-hh7QfE

(Notice I also didn't title it with the full name to make sure it won't come up when other people are searching for Dust in the Wind. I don't want to give them false hopes. :lol: )

Posted : 10/10/2007 8:32 pm
Page 2 / 73