Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.8 K Views
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi guys and gals

I was wondering where everyone was. I been thinking either everyone was practicing hard - too hard and forgetting to post, or strings had broken a or amps had blown fuses and there's just not enough hours in our hectic lives to repair them... :cry:

And then, before I could ask the question.... the cavalry arrived in the shape of Claudine - wahoooooooo. And what style - Led Zep at it's best - from Houses of the Holy if I'm not mistaken - what a great track.

Again, far too short. Lovely Claudine, leaving us hungry for more... wonderful, inspirational... :D

Ok, I've been a bit busy - work gets in the way sometimes doesn't it... :evil: but I'll post something, just a quicky, probably tomorrow. Just been messing around with different songs and still trying to get my barre's sorted...next week, maybe a song with barre's and vocals... :roll:

What's everyone else working on? How are things going with you Issy? Claudine - more of OTHAFA please...Mmmm, Nice...

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 14/04/2008 8:58 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Next week Dylan, waiting for the TABS and my teacher to show me :wink:

But thinking of a longer song... I learned all the song Another Brick in the Wall, so when I'll have the time (last week of school!) I'll try to post it entirely... :wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 14/04/2008 9:45 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Ok, I've been a bit busy - work gets in the way sometimes doesn't it... :evil: but I'll post something, just a quicky, probably tomorrow. Just been messing around with different songs and still trying to get my barre's sorted...next week, maybe a song with barre's and vocals... :roll:
The sound of silence as everyone anxiously awaits Dylan's next performance . . . .
. . . (no pressure there, Dylan)
While we're waiting just a note to call to everyone's attention that this is the 25 page of this board!
We beginner's can't play well, but we excel in posting power!
Post on!

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 15/04/2008 10:41 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey everyone...

Quite spooky actually that you have quoted 'The sound of silence' - not because that's my latest blockbuster to be released, but another Simon & Garfunkel classic which I've well and truly murdered...and not a vocal in sight! :lol: (I like the new smileys by the way)

Yes, hot on the heels of Claudines fantastic performance of OTHAFA (which I actually tried yesterday and got absolutely nowhere because I couldn't get enough sound out of the first hammer and pull-off to get a decent sound before trying to leap up to the next note quickly - ahhh, the difference between amateurs and professionals I suppose... :wink: )

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uphoFBbtz5w

I have to say I've reached a bit of a crisis point in my 'playing' where I seem to be in some sort of time warp - I can't get any better at tunes no matter how many times I practice them and I actually think I'm getting worse. I know - I'll blame it on the credit crunch like everything else... :roll:

Ok, I think I've used all the best smileys, so...

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 16/04/2008 8:51 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Hello everyone!

This is my first post, and since I've spent most of my time on this particular thread I'd thought I'd introduce myself here.

My name's Joe Hempel from the USA, and I kinda, sorta, not really played a bit of guitar about 3-4 years ago...never had instruction, just hey, I've got some money to blow, let's buy a guitar. :D Of course I needed the money about a year ago, and sold it. So my new Backpacker Travel Guitar should be at my door on Thursday, and I really hope to start playing again. The only thing I can play now is "Dust in the Wind", "What Might Have Been", "Wanted Dead or Alive", and "More Than Words". I can't use a pick, so fingerpicking is my thing although I don't really use the conventional method that the instructors teach you, I tend to use my own style, but it works for me. So enough rambling, here's why I posted.

I just stumbled on this site, and I love the Beginner Songs, Beginner's Videos as well. I hope to try maybe one of the Beginning song lessons a week, and after practicing for a week, record it and post it up, let you guys tear it up and tell me what I could change.

Thanks for such a great site, and a great support community! :mrgreen:

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 16/04/2008 9:09 am
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

Phew Dylan that looks like a toughie, in fact looks like something stella would play.. :shock: Fair play to you, you did a good job on a challenging song - I like the editing too - getting all artsy on us! sorry to hear you're getting frustrated with it, i guess this is the plateau everyone talks about, luckily for you your plateau is at a pretty good level :wink:

Welcome Joe, :P looking forward to hearing you, 4 songs in your repetoire, man am I jealous :lol: Which song are you working on now?

Claudine, what can I say, :D wonderful as always!

Posted : 16/04/2008 9:52 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Way to go Dylan! It's pretty cool to see how you're picking hand improves, the tone you get out of yoru fingers is pretty damn impressive! I was just wondering, if you're done with yoru year you should really edit it into some kind of documentary. Something like a mix between recordings, chronologically and yourself looking back at it all, pointing at whatever problems you ran into and how you handled them. Like a introduction to someone's first guitar journeys by explorer Dylan Barrett. 8)

Posted : 16/04/2008 10:07 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Thanks Jenny!

Well, right now, I'm not really working on anything. I will be first doing "Horse With No Name" after I practice that lesson for a bit.

It seems pretty easy to play, so I think I may try doing a bit of um..*cough* singing (if you want to call it that...more like sounds of a strangled horse) with it. It's the first video I will have posted on YouTube, so I'm not sure what format they take. Fortunately I am a video editor, and can output it into pretty much anything. I've got to make everything else look good so my guitar playing doesn't look as bad! :roll:

But after that, I think I've seen some pretty good examples of learning recent songs "Our Song" by Taylor Swift, "Home" by Daughtry seems very very easy, and a lovely song by a J-Pop group Monkey Majik "Sore wa Marude" Those just seem to emphasize the lessons from this one, so I figure for practice with other "sounds" with the lesson, I could try those.

Posted : 16/04/2008 10:36 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Joe, where you going with that Backpacker in your hand.... :roll: Haven't a clue what one of those is...probably a darn sight better than my $50 Stagg I'll wager...

Welcome. We'll soon let you know if you're too good for this thread, have a look back at some of our attempts at Dust in the Wind - mine actually sounded like Horse with no Name according to Ken :wink: It's odd because Kens Stairway to Heaven sounds a bit like my Dust in the WInd... :lol:

Dylan Barrett - Explorer - hey, I like that. I'd like to think that all the vids I've made sort off form a documentary, Maybe I need to get together with a good director like the Stones have just done. :?

Rock and roll camera, action!

D 8)

Posted : 16/04/2008 10:37 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Trust me, I am in now way shape or form too good for this forum. :lol:

One thing that I think that I'm going to do so that I don't concentrate on what my voice or "strum patterns" sound like right away, is play the songs that I'm singing/playing on my iPod while I play with headphones. That way I don't get distracted by how bad I sound, and maybe...just maybe, I might sound a bit better, and then will play it back and feel embarrassed, but that what this forums all about right, putting it all out there while you learn?

Posted : 16/04/2008 10:47 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Dylan is fast when we ask for a video! :wink:

Well, good job with the fingerpicking on that song. I didn't know it but it seems to be a nice one!

As for the pull-off in the LZ song I played on my video... I couldn't get it on my acoustic too :roll: So Dylan, consider to buy an electric guitar, it's easier :lol:

Ok I used all the best smiley, or maybe I could use this one too: :twisted:

And hi Joe! welcome to the beginner thread

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 16/04/2008 11:38 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I dont know how I ever missed this thread, or atleast I dont remember ever looking at it. You guys are really impressive in putting together these vids. I cant wait to get home to watch some of them. My yucky job wont allow access to YouTube from here.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 16/04/2008 11:52 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Claudine...you beat me to it... :evil: :twisted: :roll:

The song is from the Intermediate lessons on this site, it's got a nice haunting melody that made me want to play it but the strings are so tight up there, you need to be right under the fret to get a clean sound. :D :) :(

Not only that, everything is that much closer together so I have a problem fitting the chord patterns into the fret spaces and the transitions are awkward too... :o :shock: :?

I am still trying OTHAFA on my acoustic but you're right - I'm going to tell Father Christmas i've been a good boy and been doing my homework, and maybe, just maybe..... 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry:

Hi geo - enjoy the videos, but beware, they're addictive... :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen:

And as for gratuitious use of smileys - haha - I win :smoke: :smurf: (why aren't they working)?

Smiley on!

D 8)

Posted : 16/04/2008 12:16 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I have to say I've reached a bit of a crisis point in my 'playing' where I seem to be in some sort of time warp - I can't get any better at tunes no matter how many times I practice them and I actually think I'm getting worse. I know - I'll blame it on the credit crunch like everything else... :roll:

I liked it, Dylan.
You're getting a pleasant sound from your guitar. I imagine that makes practicing a lot easier.
Can you imagine the violin and getting that awful cat screeching sound? Practice would be a horror I imagine.

Anyway, the finger picking on that one looked pretty complicated.
I'm still working on Dust in the Wind which is pretty much the same picking pattern throughout and yet I can't maintain it.
So I'm just working on endurance or finger strength combined with coordination. And not practicing enough.
Probably just practicing enough to maintain my level of incompetence. I hope I haven't peaked. I'm too young to have peaked.

I haven't tried an acoustic. And if it's harder, I'm not in any hurry to try one.
If you get an electric, keep in mind the strats (may) have the strings closer together (at the top) than most other guitars which I highly recommend against. Maybe a telecaster? I'm happy with my Ibanez.

An entertaining video, DB
Enjoyed it as usual . . . .
Now get back to work!

Hi Jenny!
Welcome Joe!
Love you, Clau
Miss you, Izzy

Rock on

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 16/04/2008 1:00 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Wow - stop chatting you lot, some of us are trying to WORK here 8)

Actually I personally haven't been doing much on the guitar - I made the mistake of trying to play for about half an hour the other day, and ended up in pain most of the night (extra fluid in body due to pregnancy = more pressure on carpal nerves = bout of carpal tunnel syndrome. 30 week preg btw, not long now before a new member joins the band :twisted: ).

Welcome Joe *waves*

Posted : 16/04/2008 6:07 pm
Page 25 / 73