Clear all

Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.8 K Views
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

simon, you've made me think - perhaps I should not be trying to sing and just concentrate on my hands instead - maybe its a mistake to try to do both?
Fun?
Well I'd been practising about 3 hrs so its more like hysteria setting in, i think! :wink: I can't believe that after only a few short months you've learned the solo to wish you were here - when I picked up a guitar about 9-10 months ago now, this was the one song I really really wanted to learn, and as you can see, I'm nowhere even close to that! (Hence the frustration!)so BIG well done, you've achieved so much so quickly.
Stella. Your version of friend of the devil is just fantastic. I'm so impressed 8)
+1, it sounds great, and polished, and again learned on very little time, you're obviously doing something right!
Isabelle. Version 3 is much improved on version 2
I think so too, more relaxed, coming on a treat in just a short time also!

Peejay, it sounds great, and Dylan's right, it seems you just kinds tickle the strings.. I'm not even gonna attempt that song, it just seems waaay too complex!

Oh, and Dylan I forgot the shades.. 8) lets face it tho, they'd have to be some great shades to distract from the playing.. :shock:

Posted : 14/10/2007 3:43 pm
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I applaud the pile of ya's. Maybe you could start a colaboration on line?

Posted : 14/10/2007 4:31 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Fun?
Well I'd been practising about 3 hrs so its more like hysteria setting in, i think! :wink: I can't believe that after only a few short months you've learned the solo to wish you were here - when I picked up a guitar about 9-10 months ago now, this was the one song I really really wanted to learn, and as you can see, I'm nowhere even close to that! (Hence the frustration!)so BIG well done, you've achieved so much so quickly.

To be honest an awful lot of credit should go to Ady, my guitar teacher. He has been fantastic (Instrumental even....) I have not been the best student over the last six months or so but he has taught me loads. Is there anyone else on this thread who is taking formal lessons? There are some great sources of information out there on the www but nothing compares to a real time, face to face lesson with an expert. Its only 30 minutes a week but I really look forward to it.

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 14/10/2007 4:38 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Simon says - harhar again- that he has been trying Wish You Were Here for a week? A couple of days? :evil:

My excuses for not taking formal lessons are 1) bad time in my life to set a formal practice schedule 2) live in rural area 1 1/2 hrs from city 3) had 2 yrs of piano lessons when I was 12 and KEPT UP MY PLAYING - which still makes me a mediocre pianist without further study and/or talent ... but at least I def got my 2 yrs worth

Yeah, I kinda gave up on singing.. I don't have a million dollar voice anyway so no matter ... maybe when I can do these songs in my sleep ... just gimme FIVE YEARS :twisted:

Wow Isabelle and nice British accent BTW you have come a long way in ONE WEEK - OK - so lighten up ... big 100% improvement in presentation from musician's (not mom's!) point of view and you have obviously been practicing - generic No0bz seal of approval 8)

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 14/10/2007 4:46 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Simon says - harhar again- that he has been trying Wish You Were Here for a week? A couple of days? :evil:

My excuses for not taking formal lessons are 1) bad time in my life to set a formal practice schedule 2) live in rural area 1 1/2 hrs from city 3) had 2 yrs of piano lessons when I was 12 and KEPT UP MY PLAYING - which still makes me a mediocre pianist without further study and/or talent ... but at least I def got my 2 yrs worth

Nooooooo, I've been trying to learn this tune for the last 6 months. I started off trying to strum the chords in the verse, then trying to learn the intro and then the solo. I try and run through it at least once every time I pick the guitar up. its a long process and its driving my wife mad :roll:

I appreciate that many people find it hard to take lessons, I count myself lucky that I have the time/money/family support to take lessons.

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 14/10/2007 5:08 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Jenny you crack me up :lol: I had to watch your video *twice*, as I was concentrating so much on your face the first time around and the 'I'm soooo never going to pull this off in a million years'-vibe that your smile conveys , that I completely forgot to actually listen to the tune

And in fact, it wasn't bad at all. Keep practicing, if it's your favourite song of all times, you probably know it very well, which will help you get it right. Of course the downside being you'll get over-critical because you know the original so well.

Simon, what can I say. Hats off! I'm sure taking lessons makes a hell of a lot of difference, but like Stella, it's just bad timing in my life. Shame, as that Justin Sandercoe guy (does free lessons on YouTube) doesn't live extremely far from me and I can actually understand him when he explains something. Maybe one day...

Thanks for your comments. Having watched Dust In The Wind #2 again, then maybe I have improved. I forgot the shades too, sorry Dylan :oops: Okay next time I'll wear the shades, leather jacket AND I'll show you my tattoos (maybe not) :lol:

Let's rock! :mrgreen:

Posted : 14/10/2007 5:30 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey all... Got into the office this morning, checked my emails, done a bit of work, logged on to guitarnoise and had a browse through my favourite thread....

Listening to you guys playing one of my favourite inspirational pieces - Wish You Were Here, made me pick up my guitar (which is never too far from my grasp) and guess what - hit all the chorus chords, Ds, Cs, Gs, As straight away with good transition - first time I've been able to do that since I started learning.. :D :D :D

I'm going to do a quick 'anniversary' vid with a couple of tunes to celebrate two months of learning the strings....this has got to be one of them - probably my interpretation and only the short version - none of that fancy sliding bits that Simon and Stella can do tho' :x

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 15/10/2007 9:59 am
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

Lookin forward to it Dylan, and thanks Isabelle (you're far too kind, but much appreciated! :) ) Hang onto that teacher Simon it sounds like you got really lucky!

Posted : 15/10/2007 8:47 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I applaud the pile of ya's. Maybe you could start a colaboration on line?
I'll repeat what I said on page 1 of this thread, 'Please keep 'em coming, folks. I promise to watch every one.'
I've lived up to my word so far. Just great...
:)

Don

Posted : 15/10/2007 9:01 pm
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

So many new videos! :shock:

You guys made me feel behind, so I made another one. I was tempted to do Dust in the Wind again, but I went for Good Riddance instead. I tried to go slowly through the fingerings of the chords before I actually started playing, so that if anyone else here wants to try it (my way), they'll be able to. (Note that I had to contort my fingers even more than usual so that you'd hopefully be able to see all the strings, so don't use that (or maybe any other of the video) as a playing guide. Mainly I just thought the chord progression was much simpler to see visually than to read out of a tab.)

Video is here (only left hand this time)

If you like that idea, I might try to do a similar "how Peejay plays it" version of Dust in the Wind (since Isabelle said "where next?" at the end of her video), too. But then again, you might be better off watching someone that's not a beginner. :roll:

Posted : 15/10/2007 11:50 pm
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Boxboy.....

Frank is the Mother of Invention.........

Posted : 16/10/2007 12:54 am
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

Everyone,

Keep it up! I love these videos! Coincidentally you're all choosing pretty much exactly the songs I want to learn to play.

I'll see if I can work up the courage to post my own version of the "Wish you were here" intro...

Posted : 16/10/2007 8:20 am
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Jenny! We want to see another video! Do 'Times like These' again... I love that song :D

Nice progress Peejay!... I see that you were born with musician's hands :evil: and also ot sounds as though the right hand is fingering with much delicacy and feeling on an electric guitar... maybe one day we shall be graced with both hands at once and maybe even a smile :lol:

If the theme is 'what next' .... a couple of weeks ago my teenager brought up tab for this Metallica song - Nothing Else Matters and said 'but can you play THIS ?'

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_chords_songs.php?ida=14

And you know, this is an EASY song. ... so close to channeling Lars note-perfect but curse my stubby little fingers where cleaning even a simple chord like A is a challenge :evil:
I started by fingering thru it slowly and hey - the famous intro and solo are a couple of Em strums and then pick high B a couple of times, slide to A, followed by open E string then finger the next chords as ascending triplets: D - C - G - B7 and strum thru verses. No wonder those bastards sue everyone who copies their music, this song is DEAD EASY.

I posted my acoustic version on a new thred in this section - VIRTUAL BUSKING - which I started to take the pressure of those of you who have been playing only a few months ... a more glorified beginners thred for those of us guilty of PUI (playing under the impression that we were really ready to go public!) .... :D

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 16/10/2007 12:40 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Keep it up everyone, you're all doing great! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 17/10/2007 12:50 am
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

Stella, no more videos for awhile.. I want to get some practice in first! And haven't had much time for that lately.. (too busy looking at all the beginner clips! :wink: ) Hey I love your version of Nothing Else Matters - another of my REALLY favourite songs, and one I REALLY want to play, but haven't got beyond the first few bars yet! I love the way you make your version of the song and don't slavishly follow the original. And good to see you smiling in this one! :P

Oh, and mmoncur, come on and let us see what you do! Can't be any worse than.. well,me!

Boxboy, Dant, tinsmith, thanks for the support, gluttons for punishment eh?

Posted : 17/10/2007 3:34 pm
Page 4 / 73