Topic starter

Sounds scary, but cool.

Thanks Arjen for what you're doing.

BRING IT ON!!!

Posted : 30/07/2008 9:13 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Isabelle

Ok, ok, ok - you get the job for the intro and I'll just bash away on a few chords and mumble....

I was hoping just to try and play the first part of the intro...not the whole lot! :cry:
The production of this masterpiece may take a while - let's aim for a Christmas release date....

2010!

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 30/07/2008 11:30 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Well, maybe we can split every part between us, so we all* get to play a little bit of the intro, do a bit of picking, and strum on the verse/chorus. It doesn't really matter how rubbish it sounds, does it. We're in this for the fun (I'm glad someone reminded me of that this morning), and it'll certainly get us to make some progress. Plus, it will be Arjen's reponsibility to turn this crazy idea (Simon's, btw, not mine :evil: :twisted: ) into a Pure Work of Art (good luck with that), and - hopefully - it will inspire other beginners to do the same (I can't believe I used that word, but that's what the thread is about after all).

Going by the tab I posted above ( http://www.music-lyrics-chord.com/Eagles/Chords/54139-Hotel_California_Chords.html ):

GUITAR 1 - ACOUSTIC CAPO 7TH FRET
We all have one, haven't we? Equipped with capo? So this shouldn't be too much of a problem (until we start playing, that is). The intro starts off with chords that mark the start of each bar (not sure I'm using the right linguo here, so please correct me if I'm wrong), then it goes on to some finger picking that's repeated through the rest of the song. With a bit of practise, I'm sure we can get there. Or thereabouts. Either way, it will be good enough :lol:

GUITAR 2 - NYLON ACOUSTIC
Now I can't use mine - you definitely need a high E for this! Plus mine won't stay in tune (not that it should make much difference, my guitars are out of tune at the best of times anyway :roll: ). So, Simon... ? *bats plumberry-lined eyelids* Come on, you can do it! Give me an S! Give me an I! Give me an M! Give me an O! Give me an N! WOOOHOOOOOO!
Or does it matter if we use another steel strung acoustic for this? It will probably be harder and I know it won't sound the same, but... I have a feeling this isn't going to sound the same as anything anyway :mrgreen:

GUITAR 3 - ACOUSTIC BASS - 6 STRINGS
Now... :oops: Does that mean a standard acoustic used as a bass? Sorry, I didn't know there was such a thing as a six-string bass :oops: So are we just ignoring this and letting Arjen work his post-production magic? :mrgreen:

As for the solos, I think we'll have to see where we're at after a bit of practice (you're right Dylan, we should be just about ready for Chistmas 2010. Actually, make that New Year). Again, it will depend who's capable of playing what.

My ex is taking my eldest on holiday for the next two weeks, and what with being on maternity leave and all that I'm going to have a bit of time on my hands to see if practice makes perfect. Better. Not as crap.

I might get a takeway tonight. So...

WOK ON!

*I'm not sure who I mean by 'all'. Is it just you Dylan, Simon and myself at the moment? Jenny, come on, you're far better than me! And is everybody else on holiday? I wish it were me.

Posted : 30/07/2008 12:30 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

About the intro: as far as I care everybody does every part. Considering the verses and soli this version is going to be quite long, so it's perfectly possible to fall back to the intro. For example, we could have a slow intro with just the guitar, strummed chords with the band coming in, a couple of verses and chori, a solo, some more verses/chori, another solo, back to intro but now with full band up to pace straight into another solo and back for some final chori.

Not that I want to take complete control over this (which I will, after I'm done taking control of the whole world and making ripe bananas the worlds currency) but as this is more about trying things, taking steps and having fun I guess we can just do it free for all. I'll copy&paste it into a semi-coherent sonic assault. 8)

Posted : 30/07/2008 12:53 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

...........a semi-coherent sonic assault. 8)
That sounds just like my singing :oops: :oops:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 30/07/2008 12:59 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Isabelle, my apologies. I've re-read the thread and it *was* my idea :shock:

It appears to have taken on a life of its own now, theres no stopping it. You cant deny the rock and roll 8)

I work with mostly ladies (I'm a nurse) so I'm used to having eyelashes fluttered at me in an attempt to get me to do things. Sadly it usually works :lol: Hows about I play throught the chord sequence on my nylon strung classical with a little bit of basic fingerpicking (much like the intro in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75UuTthyRnU ) It may not be how the eagles performed it but with a belt of reverb and a little splash of chorus it can sound pretty cool. Those of you that can fingerpick can then go on to play a more complicated version of the intro. We should not be tied down to copying the eagles version exactly and can have as many intro sequences as we want! After that we can go on to share the responsibilities for rhythm guitar, be it 6 or 12 stringed, capo'd or not

please dont ask me to sing :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 30/07/2008 5:31 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

So, Arjen and Simon - are you saying we just record whatever we want and then somehow put together what we have?

And be warned. If you make Simon sing, I will yodel.

Dylan, you're welcome to the singing part, me think :D

Posted : 30/07/2008 6:26 pm
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

*I'm not sure who I mean by 'all'. Is it just you Dylan, Simon and myself at the moment? Jenny, come on, you're far better than me! And is everybody else on holiday? I wish it were me.

:lol: I wish I lived in the same universe as you Isabelle!!
It sounds very exciting and I wish I could join you,unfortunately I'll be away til next week and not near a guitar so wouldn't like to hold you up :wink: think its beyond me just now anyhow! Dying to hear what you do though! :note2: Best of luck with it!

Posted : 30/07/2008 9:30 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

So, Arjen and Simon - are you saying we just record whatever we want and then somehow put together what we have?

Exactly. If you feel like recording the intro, the chori, the verses, the soli or whatever, be my guest. I'll try to put it together as best as I can. The most important thing is that we try to improve ourselves, that we dare to try things that seem impossible at first. Personally I care more about people trying to take the next step then those satisfied with their own abilities.

Rock on and have no fear!

Posted : 30/07/2008 9:56 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Isabelle: Arjen will send a backing track with the drums and bass and everybody will play over that backing track. Each one can play and sing a verse of the song and everybody the chorus or everybody can play all or... As Arjen says this a very long song so it admits a lot of different possibilities. If everybody plays over the backing track to 75 bpm posteriorly you can use every part in the way that you want to do it.

Perhaps it is easier if each one says his/her preferences and somebody, perhaps Arjen or Dylan or you, could assign the role and part.

Jenny: I think we can wait for you, so take your guitar and play!

On the solos. Once you can read the partitures or tablatures, they are easier than they seems in the video. Mainly there are two solos for two guitars and then both guitars play the more or less arpeggiated final melody (perhaps this part could be played by several guitars). I'm preparing the first solo and also the final part.

There are also several fills over the song, mainly in the chorus, that can also be played. They are easy too.

Posted : 30/07/2008 9:57 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I can't wait to hear this collaboration, it'll sound great!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 31/07/2008 6:02 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi Eaglets

Couple of things from what I've been reading. If we are recording over the same backing track, shouldn't we split the recording by listening to the backing through headphones - I don't want to complicate things here, but wont the mixing be mighty difficult otherwise? A question for Ignar (or is it Arjen).

Just to let you all know, I can read tabs, it's just that the fingers don't really know what they're supposed to be doing so I think this collaboration may take a while to put together so we shouldn't put ourselves under too much pressure or get stressed about it - I think it's important that even those who want to contribute but are worried about their ability should be given the opportunity to add something. Jenny, if you want to just strum a few chords we can fit them in - I think you need to be involved....

I've got a pretty good idea of how I think it should sound, but again, it's a collaboration. If I get time, I'll get a load of tracks together and mix it up to see if you're in agreement with the concept.

How serious do I sound?....and not ONE smiley..... Oh, go on then.... :roll:

Rock on, cool wind in my hair!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 31/07/2008 10:30 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I agree - no pressure (seeing as my microphone died yesterday... :roll: ).

Posted : 31/07/2008 10:36 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If we are recording over the same backing track, shouldn't we split the recording by listening to the backing through headphones - I don't want to complicate things here, but wont the mixing be mighty difficult otherwise? A question for Ignar (or is it Arjen).

Yes. Each part should consist of just the instrument, I don't want the drums on it, it will make mixing it properly practically impossible. Thanks for bringing it up Dylan!

Posted : 31/07/2008 1:31 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Another question springs to mind..... Are we looking at recording sound or sound and video? I only ask because I have the facility to record reasonably good quality audio but if I'm recording video as well I'm stuck with either using a webcam or my digital camera both of which record pretty poor quality audio.

I've just remembered that this is a 'Beginners videos' thread.... Probably answered my own question :roll:

Simon (Putting the pink champagne on ice)

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 31/07/2008 4:56 pm
Page 40 / 73