Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.8 K Views
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Funny, I've been thinking of doing a Spot The Difference sort of thing by re recording the songs I posted a year ago. So it looks like the first one is going to be House Of The Rising Sun, due Oct 6th. See you then :)

Posted : 28/09/2008 6:32 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Whilst I work on some fingerpicking (Its all new to me :shock: ) to post on our threads first birthday I thought I would offer up this bit of noodling for your perusal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_nS8ICw7EM

Its by no means a proper cover of Cinnamon Girl but does use some of the 'bits' from Davids excellent lesson. I'm struggling a little with the timing in the various riffs and its played out of sequence at the moment. I really like the song and intend to carry on working on it 'till I have a version that I'm happy with. The 'double' drop D tuning is great to work with and its nice to get my fretting hand moving around the neck a little.

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 30/09/2008 9:17 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Simon

That is so cool and laid-back I almost hate you for posting it... :cry:

It's a great song - I'm not even ready to attempt it yet but you have done it justice indeed. The drop tuning is great isn't it!

You're moving around the fretboard with the ease of a seasoned professional - something that I'm really struggling with (amongst many other things :wink: of course). I love your slides. I noticed how good you were with them on your earlier Wish You Were Here.

I think you are going to have to stop calling your videos 'I wish I could play...' - you are there man....

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 30/09/2008 9:41 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice playing Simon!

:D

Posted : 30/09/2008 5:02 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Two videos in two days.....

I'm on a roll :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TVFJgKkATc

I've stolen the best bits of Mr Hodges lesson (Again) and cobbled together a version of Harvest Moon.
Despite what has probably been 3-4 hours working on the harmonic bit at the 12th and 7th fret I still cant play it properly so in the best beginners tradition I've just missed it out :roll:

Cheers,
simon

Posted : 01/10/2008 12:13 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'm on a roll :mrgreen:

And the hits just keep on comin'
Good work, Simon.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 01/10/2008 12:27 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice playing Simon!

:D

Posted : 01/10/2008 12:30 pm
(@slowhand)
Eminent Member

Heres my latest video, have been playing for 5 months
;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG1la6pyh4Y

Posted : 01/10/2008 3:56 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Hey that's not fair!
You made that look easy . . . . are having way too much fun.
At 5 months you should be struggling, frustrated, and in pain, . . .

Good job

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 01/10/2008 4:07 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Heres my latest video, have been playing for 5 months
;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG1la6pyh4Y

Wow, thats fantastic progress. I wouldnt have called that an easy piece to learn and play either :shock:

My first video (Uploaded at the 6 month stage) consisted of 3 open chords!

Can we tempt you into posting another video for our threads first birthday on the 6th October? :lol:

Simon

Posted : 01/10/2008 4:33 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Sorry, I'm Spaniard and sometimes I don't understand so well. Do you mean you have been playing for 5 months?

:shock:

Congrats man!

Posted : 01/10/2008 8:49 pm
(@slowhand)
Eminent Member

Sorry, I'm Spaniard and sometimes I don't understand so well. Do you mean you have been playing for 5 months?

:shock:

Congrats man!

Yes i have :)

Posted : 02/10/2008 12:33 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Slowhand

Sorry, I'm English, but speak Portuguese - do you really mean cinco messes? :wink:
Absolutely fabulous - I'm gonna get me one of those leccy things....

Hey Simon - Whatever you're taking, let me know - I want some :shock: I can't wait to see what you're gonna do for the GLORIOUS 6TH. I hope you've kept your powder dry?

I really can't stop laughing - I'm gonna post a video with barre chords.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - and do you know what - no, I don't either...

Rock on fellow beginners!

D 8)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h haaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 02/10/2008 6:46 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Despite what has probably been 3-4 hours working on the harmonic bit at the 12th and 7th fret I still cant play it properly so in the best beginners tradition I've just missed it out :roll:

Hey Simon - it's a lovely song - Whenever I sing along to a Neil Young song - you can't help sounding like you're doing an impression of Neil Young - albeit very badly... :roll:

ANyways - harmonics. Forgive me if this is what you've been trying, but when I tried learning that song, the little harmonic riff was barring the four strings at the 12th fret and running your finger up the strings right up close to the bridge - sounds pretty good to me. I can't get the hang of the real harmonics...ahhh, so much to learn and so little....talent! :wink:

Rock on!

The big day is approaching - is everyone getting nervous... :lol:

D 8)

Posted : 03/10/2008 2:05 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

ANyways - harmonics. Forgive me if this is what you've been trying, but when I tried learning that song, the little harmonic riff was barring the four strings at the 12th fret and running your finger up the strings right up close to the bridge - D 8)

I can get the harmonics to ring out at the 12th fret then you have to slide your hand quickly up to the 7th and play a harmonic on the A string to complete the phrase and that 7th fret harmonic just refuses to ring clear for me under these 'trying' circumstances :roll:

And yes, I'm getting nervous about the glorious 6th. Normally I only post videos of songs that I fell confident that I can make a reasonable attempt at. I know, pride is a funny thing :mrgreen: This time its going to be a little different.... You've not seen me do any fingerpicking at all yet because I only recently started to learn how. Its so so different from whaling away with a pick or strumming with your thumb. The look of concentration on my face is quite scary :lol:
I've recorded a couple of attempts and probably have time for a few more tries before I pick the best of the bunch!

Cheers,
Simon

Posted : 03/10/2008 5:10 pm
Page 45 / 73