Beginner's videos

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Beginner's videos

Page 45 / 73

(@isabelle)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Funny, I've been thinking of doing a Spot The Difference sort of thing by re recording the songs I posted a year ago. So it looks like the first one is going to be House Of The Rising Sun, due Oct 6th. See you then :)

ReplyQuote
(@simonsays)
Trusted Member

Whilst I work on some fingerpicking (Its all new to me ) to post on our threads first birthday I thought I would offer up this bit of noodling for your perusal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_nS8ICw7EM

Its by no means a proper cover of Cinnamon Girl but does use some of the 'bits' from Davids excellent lesson. I'm struggling a little with the timing in the various riffs and its played out of sequence at the moment. I really like the song and intend to carry on working on it 'till I have a version that I'm happy with. The 'double' drop D tuning is great to work with and its nice to get my fretting hand moving around the neck a little.

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Honorable Member

Hey Simon

That is so cool and laid-back I almost hate you for posting it...

It's a great song - I'm not even ready to attempt it yet but you have done it justice indeed. The drop tuning is great isn't it!

You're moving around the fretboard with the ease of a seasoned professional - something that I'm really struggling with (amongst many other things of course). I love your slides. I noticed how good you were with them on your earlier Wish You Were Here.

I think you are going to have to stop calling your videos 'I wish I could play...' - you are there man....

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice playing Simon!

:D

ReplyQuote
(@simonsays)
Trusted Member

Two videos in two days.....

I'm on a roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TVFJgKkATc

I've stolen the best bits of Mr Hodges lesson (Again) and cobbled together a version of Harvest Moon.
Despite what has probably been 3-4 hours working on the harmonic bit at the 12th and 7th fret I still cant play it properly so in the best beginners tradition I've just missed it out

Cheers,
simon

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'm on a roll

And the hits just keep on comin'
Good work, Simon.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice playing Simon!

:D

ReplyQuote
(@slowhand)
Eminent Member

Heres my latest video, have been playing for 5 months
;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG1la6pyh4Y

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Hey that's not fair!
You made that look easy . . . . are having way too much fun.
At 5 months you should be struggling, frustrated, and in pain, . . .

Good job

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@simonsays)
Trusted Member

Heres my latest video, have been playing for 5 months
;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG1la6pyh4Y

Wow, thats fantastic progress. I wouldnt have called that an easy piece to learn and play either

My first video (Uploaded at the 6 month stage) consisted of 3 open chords!

Can we tempt you into posting another video for our threads first birthday on the 6th October?

Simon

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Sorry, I'm Spaniard and sometimes I don't understand so well. Do you mean you have been playing for 5 months?

Congrats man!

ReplyQuote
(@slowhand)
Eminent Member

Sorry, I'm Spaniard and sometimes I don't understand so well. Do you mean you have been playing for 5 months?

Congrats man!

Yes i have :)

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Honorable Member

Hey Slowhand

Sorry, I'm English, but speak Portuguese - do you really mean cinco messes?
Absolutely fabulous - I'm gonna get me one of those leccy things....

Hey Simon - Whatever you're taking, let me know - I want some I can't wait to see what you're gonna do for the GLORIOUS 6TH. I hope you've kept your powder dry?

I really can't stop laughing - I'm gonna post a video with barre chords.... - and do you know what - no, I don't either...

Rock on fellow beginners!

D 8)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h haaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Honorable Member

Despite what has probably been 3-4 hours working on the harmonic bit at the 12th and 7th fret I still cant play it properly so in the best beginners tradition I've just missed it out

Hey Simon - it's a lovely song - Whenever I sing along to a Neil Young song - you can't help sounding like you're doing an impression of Neil Young - albeit very badly...

ANyways - harmonics. Forgive me if this is what you've been trying, but when I tried learning that song, the little harmonic riff was barring the four strings at the 12th fret and running your finger up the strings right up close to the bridge - sounds pretty good to me. I can't get the hang of the real harmonics...ahhh, so much to learn and so little....talent!

Rock on!

The big day is approaching - is everyone getting nervous...

D 8)

ReplyQuote
(@simonsays)
Trusted Member

ANyways - harmonics. Forgive me if this is what you've been trying, but when I tried learning that song, the little harmonic riff was barring the four strings at the 12th fret and running your finger up the strings right up close to the bridge - D 8)

I can get the harmonics to ring out at the 12th fret then you have to slide your hand quickly up to the 7th and play a harmonic on the A string to complete the phrase and that 7th fret harmonic just refuses to ring clear for me under these 'trying' circumstances

And yes, I'm getting nervous about the glorious 6th. Normally I only post videos of songs that I fell confident that I can make a reasonable attempt at. I know, pride is a funny thing This time its going to be a little different.... You've not seen me do any fingerpicking at all yet because I only recently started to learn how. Its so so different from whaling away with a pick or strumming with your thumb. The look of concentration on my face is quite scary
I've recorded a couple of attempts and probably have time for a few more tries before I pick the best of the bunch!

Cheers,
Simon

ReplyQuote
Page 45 / 73