81 Users
0 Likes
270.6 K Views
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Happy birthday to us :mrgreen:

Here is my contribution to the birthday celebrations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEwa7iTGx3s

Who would have thought that recording a few bars of music would take so long :roll:
Most of the other videos I've put up in the past have been first or second takes but not this one. Lots of 'studio time' :lol:

I've followed this thread since day one, read every post and watched every video at least once. Its been a fun and fascinating learning experience. Thanks to all the contributers out there. You know who you are!
I've also really enjoyed recording my own contributions (8 of them, I just checked..) and would like to thank all those who took the time to comment. Thanks!

It just remains for me to say

ENCORE!

Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 06/10/2008 4:39 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey guys and gals....

:note2: Happy birthday to us, happy birthday to us, happy birthday dear beginners videos, happy birthday to us.... :note2:

A whole year eh - and what wondrous sights and sounds we have seen...and heard.... :roll:

Well done Simon for being the first to post a birthday sound - I haven't watched it yet because I'm going to have to be a bit of a party pooper - something urgent has come up at work and I can't make the vid I had planned for today - In fact, I really haven't got the time to post this message, but I felt I had to... :wink:

I'll try and get a belated birthday video posted tomorrow, but can't promise....

Looking forward to savouring all the rest of the anniversary celebration vids.

Rock one year on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 06/10/2008 10:12 am
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

Ah lads, yiz are all doing so great, slowhand, simonsays, great rhythms, arpeggios, the lot.. and then there's me still trying to strum away in the background and not improving any:lol:

Anyway thought I'd give yiz something to laugh at, since its the anniversary and all :shock: cannot believe its been a whole year already! And I still can't play a song all the way through..

Apologies for the sound quality, no matter what I do with the settings on my pc it still sounds like I'm playing underwater.. probably not a bad thing really, in fact it probably improves the listening experience :roll:

I'll try embed it here, if not follow the link (if you dare).. I am attempting to play Davids lesson of Brain Damage and Eclipse (sorry David for making such a hames of it, purely due to the student not the teacher!) from about verse 3 onwards, but I get a bit confused.. I think I have damaged my brain trying to play this :lol:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value=" http://www.youtube.com/v/b1hZy3PvkeA "> </param> <embed src=" http://www.youtube.com/v/b1hZy3PvkeA " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1hZy3PvkeA

The sad thing is, this is the best of about a dozen videos I tried to record.. oh well..!

Posted : 06/10/2008 12:30 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Slowhand, well done. That is just amazing after 5 months of playing. And here's me still buzzing away on House of the Rising Sun after one year, yes, ONE YEAR. And now that oh-don't-look-at-me-I-can't-fingerpick-Simon has posted his wonderful version, I feel a bit stupid posting the same song - that actually doesn't sound much different from last year's.

Dylan - I still haven't listened/watched your song properly. But you did it YAY YOU!!! Hope you had a good time in France. You should have gone to the South East, you would have had shit weather BUT we could have had an air guitar jam, or at least downed a few demis :)

Jenny, what can I say, you ROCK girl. Your videos always crack me up. I love that 'do you think they'll notice' expression on your face :lol: (I don't even spot my own mistakes most times, so I'm very envious there).

So anyway, I hope these will work (I haven't figured out how to watch putfile stuff on my new pc). I hope I uploaded the right files too, as I'm unable to check. One is from the other day. I had Marc on my video last year, so I felt like showing you the new addition this time round :] The other one I recorded this morning.

Click here to watch RisingSun2008+Pierre

Click here to watch RisingSun2008

Posted : 06/10/2008 4:14 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Very good Simon! Very clear sounds! :D

Jenny: you improve a lot with each new video! You should post more! :D

Isabelle: I can not watch your videos at this computer. I don't have installed the MediaPlayer plugin :(
Tomorrow I'll watch them at work :D

Congrats everybody!

Posted : 06/10/2008 4:32 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Happy birthday all!
Thanks to everyone who's posted video/s over the year. It's been very inspiring.
:)

Don

Posted : 06/10/2008 4:56 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Dylan. Dont you just hate it when working for a living gets in the way of your guitar playing :evil:

Jenny. Great to hear from you again. long time no see! You might not see an improvement but I certainly do :D

Isabelle. Thanks for introducing us to Pierre, you must be one proud mummy :D I've just gone back and listened to your first post (Starring Marc 8) ) and your new version is so much improved its not in the same league. Your timing is great and you get great tone from your new guitar, I bet it sounds even better live. You also played it correctly in 6/8 time and I've just realised that my version has somehow sneaked through in 4/4 time (and it was the 8th attempt!) :roll:

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 06/10/2008 5:27 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

So tomorrow last yr I posted my first Dust In The Wind rendition

Have fun with the latest version:

Click here to watch DustInTheWind2008

Posted : 06/10/2008 9:19 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Hi!

I know, it's been a long long time !

I'm going to look at all those new video as soon as possible, but right now, I'm very busy with school, work, guitar class, soccer, boyfriend, etc.

Unfortunatly, I have like... NO time to play... :cry:

I'll stop guitar classes, but I'm going to play by myself as often as possible and try to post another video if I can...

Keep on rocking!

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 07/10/2008 2:11 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Dylan. Dont you just hate it when working for a living gets in the way of your guitar playing :evil:n

I tell ya - life's a bitch (don't you just love moderators) - and not going to be able to make a vid today either - I feel such a loooooser....(in a Jim Carey sort of style) :cry:

I shouldn't be here really, so don't tell the boss :wink: but I feel I'm missing out on the birthday celebrations.
We seem to missing a few beginners postings - some of the hard core, but I love the vids that have been posted...

Jenny, well, excellent - just like a cream doughnut - your arrival gives us pleasure and your departure leaves us hungry for more...(Shelley) and Issy - I would leave a comment on your putfile but it really screws my Mac up but your DITW vid is a classic :D I've got a screen grab of the opening frame which will adorne my next vid unless there's any copyright issues?

I tell you this - if I didn't wear shades I'm sure I'd be able to play Dustbin the Wind as well - but you just gotta wear shades.

Até Manha

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 07/10/2008 10:17 am
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

Isabelle I think you're trying to give me a heart attack.. I jumped out of my seat at the start of your video.. :shock: and then in the seeming serenity of HOTRS your dog kept scaring me..! I've just had such a laugh, looking back at your first HOTRS for comparison purposes.. it really is the funniest video ever.. I miss Marcs vocals tho :lol: My god the difference is immense, ok granted you were distracted in the first one.. and had a few extra fingers helping you out :D but the timing is so much better now, and the fingering so much more precise.. an altogether different player, well done! Dust in the Wind sounded great too, the rockchick look is good but yeah, lets leave the shades to Dylan 8) , speaking of which, come on Dylan, we're waiting eagerly..!

I love the differences in interpretation of HOTRS, Simons sounds so much different, totally different picking pattern, well done Simon, fingerpicking holds no fears.. hmm I might have to do my own interpretation of HOTRS.. totally different pattern (ie hitting random/wrong strings) and with, er, jazz timing (ie no one understands it but me..well not even me :D )

Posted : 07/10/2008 10:23 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I can't believe no one has done this

Click here to watch HappyBirthday

Posted : 08/10/2008 9:37 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Sorry guys, . . . . to let you down.
I had to go to Tennessee and didn't bring my webcam.
Didn't bring my amp either.
I only have dial-up here where I'm staying so I can't even view your videos.
I'm really anxious to see what you guys did.
Maybe in two or three weeks I'll leave "God's country" and be back in "paradise".

KR2 (on a gravel road of the WWW superhighway)

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 08/10/2008 12:05 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

I can't believe no one has done this

Click here to watch HappyBirthday

Hi all - yeh, did think about doing it, but just run out of time with work and everything - and I'm off to France tomorrow so you had to make do with the words in a previous post... :cry:

Anyways - here we are - my beginners videos video - and it's awfull - I should have done House of the Rising Sun or Horse with no Name but once you start you have to finish...

Didn't have time to practice so it's a one-hit wonder - but my barre chords are getting better.. :lol: ..really!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EB-Oe1D0K3Y

Well done all beginners, especially the hard core - Isabelle, Simon, Jenny, Stella, & Ken - come back Claudine, you don't want to be messing around with those smelly boys - playing guitar is much more healthy. Where's PeeJay? Cheers Nuno and everyone else for their support.

ROCK ON!

D 8)

ps Don't forget Hotel California, although after this vid you'll probably want a new singer....

Posted : 08/10/2008 12:10 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Dylan, that cover sounds really good! And your barre chords are practically perfect!

Isabelle, I already watch all your videos. Great improvement, too! Dust in the wind isn't an easy song if you play it fingerpicked! Many congrats!

Now, I want to post a video but I have some minor troubles. One of my Mac has an integrated camera but I don't have any software for recording (when I installed Leopard the iLife components were removed). My second Mac has the software but it hasn't the camera. :roll:

I was busy these days and I can not look for the software or take an old iSight from the lab. I'll post my "Horse in the wind of rising sun" when I solve these troubles.

And meanwhile, rock on!

Posted : 08/10/2008 12:55 pm
Page 46 / 73