Clear all

Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.8 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just dropping in here to wish all of you all the best for the New Year.....

May your fingers always find the strings and frets they're looking for! Keep on practising, keep improving....make 2009 the year you move OUT of the BV thread. Except to post encouraging comments to the newcomers, of course....

And as Dylan says,

ROCK ON!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 01/01/2009 12:34 am
(@roundi)
Estimable Member

I have been checking out the videos here and generally lurking around the forums for little while now.

I enjoyed the videos so much and found them so encouraging that I decided to join and say thanks etc. So Thanks to all who have posted videos.

I have been playing guitar for almost a year now and I am happy to find others at a similar point in learning the guitar. I currently don't have any means to record my own but I am going to start looking into it. It may be interesting to document my progress (assuming of course that there will be progress)

Take Care

Posted : 07/01/2009 3:40 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi all

Happy New Year to all you 'beginners' - I actually feel like i've been here for years - hmmmm :roll:

New faces always welcome, we're a jolly bunch of strummers and pickers here in beginners videos...aren't we gang? Always willing to lend an ear (and have a bloody good laugh at others folks expense as well :wink: ).

And to kick start 2009 and start as I mean to go on, thought I'd show you how I'm getting on learning to use a plectrum for the first time in 13 or 14 months, sorry, I've lost count.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4iquV8G3XKo

Next stop - barre chord city - everyone leave the train!!!

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 09/01/2009 5:54 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Way to go, Dylan.
Dark glasses, strumming, changing chords, using a pick, singing in tune, remembering the words, keeping a steady tempo, synchronizing words with chords, coordinating strum with chord changes . . .
It's all so easy, isn't it?
Good job, DB.
I tried playing while standing and . . . . immediately sat back down.

Happy New Year, dude.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 09/01/2009 10:10 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

:note2: HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! :note2:

Well OK I'm a little off the back but fortunately Dylan is still thinking of busking ... which brought me back to this thred ... three or four pages later :?

I did learn a new Christmas song and relearned the ones from the last 2 Christmases - but my beginning-beginner version of Silent Night doesn't sound as nice as Izzy's, in fact Izzy's version looks frightfully complicated (but it sounds very lovely!) And btw good to see you bouncing back so nicely from extreme motherhood there gf :wink:

Ken, nice to see you in person at last (or at least your torso!) :lol: Now you finally know what it feels like - what can compare to the stomach-churning thrill of playing in front of the video camera or - persish forbid - live humans! But there is only one way to address your fear - by posting more videos!

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 09/01/2009 10:49 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Ken, nice to see you in person at last (or at least your torso!) :lol: Now you finally know what it feels like - what can compare to the stomach-churning thrill of playing in front of the video camera or - persish forbid - live humans! But there is only one way to address your fear - by posting more videos!
Playing in front of live people?! :shock:

I'd probably faint dead away. :|

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 10/01/2009 1:54 pm
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Playing in front of live people?! :shock:

I'd probably faint dead away. :|

KR2

Nah - The first time I played 'live' with the band in a club, I kept my back to the audience the whole time!
I noticed though, that the lights were so bright that the audience couldn't be seen from the stage anyway;
So, after that I just wore my 'super dark Green' KD sunglasses and all was good (%

When playing for a small group of friends, just make sure they've had plenty to drink before you start playing (%

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

Posted : 10/01/2009 6:06 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

One of my favorite songs is Joan Baez's "Diamonds and Rust".
Unfortunately it's a chick song . . . . but that didn't stop me from singing it.
In attempt to "masculate it" I changed "I bought you some cuff links" to "I bought you some earrings"

The audio is out of synch with the video . . . which is typical of webcams from what I've seen . . . sorry.
And now listening to it, I rushed the song . . . needed to slow it . . . to fit the lyrics in . . . better.

Anyway, since the Dolphins are out of the playoffs I had some time . . .
Oh! Good news. Congrats to my alma mater, University of Florida, for winning the National (college football) Championship.

Diamonds & Rust

KR2

Posted : 11/01/2009 6:29 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice cover Ken! :D

Perfect strumming and nice singing!

Everybody is improving a lot! I think I'm doing something wrong... Obviously, I should upload a video to receive criticisms...

Great job! 8)

Posted : 12/01/2009 8:49 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Wow, Nice job Dylan and Ken!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 13/01/2009 4:18 am
(@roundi)
Estimable Member

Good Job Dylan, and great timing I just started working on that lesson in the Beginners section of this website. Did you learn the song from the Easy Songs fro Beginners?

I can not even imagine singing and playing at the same time yet.

Posted : 13/01/2009 2:57 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

KR2 - 10/10, that was great, If Joan Baez was a man, (s)he'd sound just like you....

Hey, welcome Round1 (I'm sure you must have a real name). I got the idea of learning the song from David's 'easy songs' for went my own way and chose a simple strumming version, mainly because I wanted to learn to play with a pick and i'm nowhere near competent enough to flatpick at the moment, although I'm practicing...

I got the basic chord structure from David's lesson then got the tabs and the lyrics from:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/r/rem/man_on_the_moon_tab.htm

THEN - just adapted bits to make it easier to play for me, but it's a pretty easy song to play - hey, listen to me.... :D who'd have though I'd be saying that 12 months ago... :roll:

The main riff can be made easier by simply using C to D, but doesn't sound as authentic....

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 15/01/2009 8:51 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Just a very quick HI ALL!

Dylan and KR, good job to you both on the playing/singing!

I actually attempted Man On The Moon not long ago, but didn't go very far with it. I had a brief go at Hallelujah too. (more finger picking). I just don't seem to get in the mood for guitar at the moment.

Vic - you're saying this year is the year we beginners should leave the BV thread? You must be joking. Well I'm going back to work from maternity leave on Monday - meaning even LESS time to practise. So I personally intend to still be here in a few years time. The thread is comfy and it's warm, the rent is cheap and we get free drinks...

If they want me to move, they're going to have to kick me out.

Posted : 17/01/2009 1:42 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Welcome back Izzy and thank you.

I'm good for at least another year here.
To call myself anything but a beginner is denying reality.

Izzy how about giving Diamonds and Rust a try?
Chords are easy Em C G D . . . that's it.

Ciao

Posted : 17/01/2009 1:55 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Vic - you're saying this year is the year we beginners should leave the BV thread? You must be joking. Well I'm going back to work from maternity leave on Monday - meaning even LESS time to practise. So I personally intend to still be here in a few years time. The thread is comfy and it's warm, the rent is cheap and we get free drinks...

Free drinks? FREE DRINKS AND NOBODY TOLD ME? And these are your friends....sniff... :( :( :(

Well, I'm pretty much a beginner on the bass - does that qualify me for a pint of Newcy Brown if I post a bass solo?

Seriously - set your sights high. There's no such thing as "I can't do it." A couple of years back, songs like Nantucket Sleighride, Under The Bridge, Behind Blue Eyes and Keep On Rocking In The Free World were WAY out of my league. Bm? hell no, I'll do it in a different key....

Then all of a sudden - and I think it was when I found a good tab for Nantucket Sleighride - "I thought, well, what do you know, it's not as hard as I thought?" - I stopped being scared of certain chords and just went flat-out at them. Hell with it, I WILL have a go - and with a positive attitude instead of "I'll never do that," things got a little easier.....

These days, I can even play a couple of songs that have diminished or augmented chords in them - and not worry about them.

Just do your best - keep practising, and you WILL improve. It works me me, anyway!

Now - do I really have to post a bass guitar solo for my free drink?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 18/01/2009 11:58 pm
Page 53 / 73