Clear all

Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.8 K Views
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

I think Isabelle deserves some sort of GN award for starting and maintaining interest in this thread.
(maybe a GN Tshirt/mug or something else from the GN shop).

What do you think moderators?

I know the thread had a mention a few months back by David Hodge in the Guitarnoise news.

It's got to hold some kind of record. Now up to 54 pages!!!

Also it's one of the most interesting and entertaining threads too.

So she's got my vote!

Keep it up Isabelle.

Just wish I owned a video camara so that if I had the nerve to record some of my efforts and Rodders efforts we could put them on here.

Chris :D :D :D

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 03/03/2009 7:23 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I don't think that I would have come here if it weren't for this thread, it really helped me get going.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 03/03/2009 11:41 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Also it's one of the most interesting and entertaining threads too.
Here here!

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 03/03/2009 11:43 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

:oops: Awww thanks, dogsbody. I blame it all on DylanBarrett though - he started the idea with his video project.

I just wish we had new blood now - as in complete beginners. Where are you, people? Our 'original' beginners are too busy BUSKING and this thread has gone all quiet. So come on now...

Take your cam out and plug it in, Hey Dude, Begin...

Posted : 05/03/2009 7:16 am
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

I just wish we had new blood now - as in complete beginners. Where are you, people? Our 'original' beginners are too busy BUSKING and this thread has gone all quiet.

Yeah Izzy look who's talking - AS IF a preschooler, a new baby and a life was some kind of excuse :twisted: to not post more new material!

Come On People!! Don't be shy!! If you are feeling intimidated by the level of playing in the recent pages have a look at some of Dylan and Izzy's earlier material (no offense :wink: ), 2 shining examples of perserverance - Dylan for exposing himself :lol: on youtube from Day 1 (!) and Izzy for being a new mom and still finding time to take up the guitar AND videotape her progress.

Which is the #1 reason for recording yourself - besides learning how to play in front of an "audience" - you learn from your mistakes and later you can go back and see that you've made progress.

Anyway, at the risk of taking up half of page 55 here are the latest uploads . This is my 3rd and possibly last lesson but it is one of those incredibly easy yet infinitely satisfying songs - I just had to share :wink:

Bang Bang (from the movie Kill Bill)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMY1EFKT04

How to play Bang Bang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x3XN5k43fE

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 05/03/2009 9:33 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

I just wish we had new blood now - as in complete beginners. Where are you, people? Our 'original' beginners are too busy BUSKING and this thread has gone all quiet. So come on now...

Yup, totally agree - where are the 'beginners' so us semi-beginners can have a good laugh.. :D

I love the picture outside The Cavern - really cool - couldn't see the guitar case though.. :?

I've been a bit busy and not a lot of time to make any vids, which is a crap excuse I know, but that's the best I've got t the moment... I've been practicing. Barre chords are coming along ok, but not good enough for my liking and ....SHOCK, HORROR I've been learning a bit of piano (only because I didn't have my beloved with me). I tell you, these ivory tinklers have got it easy... :roll:

Had a good offer on my electric so I reckon I'll let it go, but maybe I really ought to post a vid before it leaves me.. A guy came and had a look at it and wanted a play...grrrrrrrrrrr - Up and down the neck like Sweeny Todd.

Anyways, hopefully see you all soon and...

Rock on my friends!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 12/03/2009 11:12 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Maybe post a thread in the beginners section pointing them your way.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 12/03/2009 11:43 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Well Roy - the thread was in the Beginner's forum to start with, and got moved to Hear Here.

Dylan - yes, can't part from the Gibson without a video! As for the guitar case and the Cavern photo, the guitar was waiting inside, obvisously, erm, my people carried it for me :roll:

Stella - great job once again!

Posted : 17/03/2009 5:44 pm
(@daven)
Estimable Member

I'm a complete beginner, 5 weeks with my guitar, about an hour a day. I've been working on Sillouettes by Herman's Hermits G, Em, Am, D, easy to strum, and I thought it was good enough for a first vid but, when I tried to record it through the web cam on computer the quality was so poor I junked it. Of course the fact that as soon as the recording started I forgot how to fret the chords, how to strum, how to sing, and the words to the song had nothing to do with it. Really, Nothing. :D I'll try again soon.

Posted : 19/03/2009 1:42 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Don't worry, Dave, it is very usual! It seems you are describing my first recordings! :D

Posted : 19/03/2009 1:48 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Of course the fact that as soon as the recording started I forgot how to fret the chords, how to strum, how to sing, and the words to the song had nothing to do with it. Really, Nothing. :D I'll try again soon.

Well if it makes you feel better... that doesn't get any better 18 months on! Well, not in my case, anyway.

Welcome to this thread - can't wait to see the first vid (bit daunting innit).

Posted : 19/03/2009 6:39 pm
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Of course the fact that as soon as the recording started I forgot how to fret the chords, how to strum, how to sing, and the words to the song had nothing to do with it. Really, Nothing. :D I'll try again soon.

Well if it makes you feel better... that doesn't get any better 18 months on! Well, not in my case, anyway.

Welcome to this thread - can't wait to see the first vid (bit daunting innit).

It sure is. Start out at what you think is a good pace and about 2 or 3 lines in you discover you can't fit all the words in and the adrenaline has taken over. Get things slowed down and then can't shape the chords, fingers flying everywhere. Well, more practice and then I'll try recording with the digital camera's video option. It works pretty good for my childrens recitals might be ok for this.

Video soon. :)

Posted : 19/03/2009 7:09 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hi Daven, welcome to the thread and GN. Judging by the other's fun, you should have a great time here. I don't own a camera, and if I did, they'd boot me out because of 5 partial years of playing. Still, you'll be ahead of me in about, oh, 25-30 minutes skill-wise. Remember to have fun, give yourself some room to make flub-ups and have fun again.
Well Roy - the thread was in the Beginner's forum to start with, and got moved to Hear Here.

Isabelle, my suggestion was only mean't to post a note in the beginner's forum as a pointer to this thread in case beginners don't come into the hear hear forum and notice this. I wasn't trying to be or come off as critical, obtuse, cute, ugly, odiferous, hairy or otherwise a smart-butt know it all with the trimmings. :mrgreen:

Yooze guys rock!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 19/03/2009 7:29 pm
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Thanks Roy, encouragement always welcome, suggestions too. Tonight it's the adventure of changing strings. Tuner is bouncing all over the place and not holding tune.

Posted : 19/03/2009 8:07 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

It's been a while since anybody uploaded a video . . . so I'm steppin' up to the plate.
Nothing special just messing around with a pretty chord progression.
C G C Am F C G
I threw in some suspended chords to break up the monotony . . .

Where are all the new beginners? . . . I tell ya . . . kids nowadays . . .

Messin' Around

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 20/03/2009 11:28 pm
Page 55 / 73