Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.6 K Views
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

Isabelle

Well done and I think your voice is much better than you think.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 28/03/2009 9:24 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Strings, well I don't even know what weight I want to use and I'm too frugal to try a set and swap them off without trying to play em to death. I have a set of lights .012 to .053, on now, I'd like to try a lighter set and a heavier set and then maybe try a couple different brands. Any suggestions on weights/brands for acoustic?

This is maybe the third - or is it the fourth? - time I've answered a similar topic tonight. So here goes again.....

Use the lightest strings you feel comfortable with. I've been playing guitar for over thirty years now - and I'd recommend 9s for any beginner. Of course, that's just MY opinion - others may say use the HEAVIEST strings you're comfortable with, it'll build your wrist strength up. But I say - why make things harder for yourself in the beginning? It's hard enough learning those first few chords - when you move on to chords like Bm or F or Bb, you're going to need aome sterngth to hold those barres down.

OK, it's not ALL in your finger strength - but I truly believe a lot of people new to guitar who REALLY want to play are put off for one of two reasons; one, the parents buy the first guitar - they haven't a clue what they're buying, and get something totally inappropriate for the genre of music the kids want to play. A classical (nylon strung) guitar is usually a nice surprise for someone's birthday - except it isn't, because there's zero rock'n'roll in it. and two, the strings are too heavy - I think new guitarists need light strings. 9's, maybe 10's if you've got strong fingers.

As always, just my opinion - but light strings WILL help you to play quicker, IMO, whereas if you're playing with strings that could hold a suspension bridge up, you'll get discouraged more easily - especially when you can't hold those barres down. Start light, upgrade when you need to.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 29/03/2009 12:52 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

This is Jet - Come Around Again.

Well, it isn't really Jet.

It's me.

Way to go Izzy!

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 29/03/2009 1:40 am
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

*tiptoes out of the thread hoping she won't be seen*

HAH :twisted: you were spotted anyway! Don't you know there is NO tiptoeing with a guitar - imho you have to have some exhibitionist :twisted: tendencies to play music in public in the first place! BWAHAHAHA!

But the reality is, Izzy, that you are coming along wonderfully -dare we compare this to video #1, the video that started it all? I think that comparing oneself to famous bands or to musicians that have been playing 10-20-30 years is a mistake and only sets one up for failure .... If it takes 5 years to REALLY learn a song (as I've heard elsewhere on GN) then by the time we've played for 5 years, we'll be well on our way :wink:

And isn't singing AND playing the HARDEST? :evil: Like patting your head while rubbing your tummy, but considerably more fun! ... I find I have to spend some time playing OR singing a song before I can do that weird mental trick of combining two things at once while paying attention to both things but not thinking TOO hard about it :lol:

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 29/03/2009 12:41 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone for the listen... and the comments. Everytime I listen to myself singing, I cringe. When I sing in tune - which rarely is the case - I'm like "Hey, how did THAT happen?".

And don't tell me it comes with practise. 30 years I've been practising! :cry:

Posted : 30/03/2009 6:13 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Isabelle...

I'm having a real problem watching videos on the put file hence the lacking in critique...

Can't wait to hear though. Sounds like a gem!

Yeh, that is a pretty quick barre chord change, isn't it :roll:

Rock on! (soon)
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 31/03/2009 10:32 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If it takes 5 years to REALLY learn a song (as I've heard elsewhere on GN) then by the time we've played for 5 years, we'll be well on our way

I think - no, I KNOW - that's a wild exaggeration. I tabbed out "Substitute" by the Who for easy songs recently - by the time I'd gone over it, played it a few dozen times, made sure everything was in the right place....I know it inside out, forwards, backwards, sideways. I can play it without even having to think where to put my fingers....and that's just learning it over a couple of days.

Hard work and practise, as always...that's the key. Learn the song so's you can go through it in your head....focus on the chord changes. Visualise yourself playing it....then play it, over and over again, till you've got it perfect!

That's what works for me, anyway.......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 01/04/2009 12:29 am
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

*deep breath*

My name is Lisa, and I am stuck.

I have been learning guitar for a while, but have really not progressed in a long while. I was looking for motivation and stumbled over this post. I've read it through from the beginning, and it is fantastic to see the progress that has been made!

I had made a challenge to myself that I would do an open mic night on my 40th. That milestone has been and gone and I'm still no closer to it than I was when I first set it, so I'm taking a new approach. I'd like to join this group of "beginners" (although I agree that there needs to be a new generation, and I'm willing to throw my hat in :roll: ).

Phew! That wasn't too bad. Now I just need to learn a song! So, in the next few days I will post a video to set a mark in the sand from which I can improve!

Thank you to you all for putting yourselves out there in a way that has been inspirational to me (and many others I am sure).

Cheers,

BKA

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

Posted : 03/04/2009 12:26 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Welcome Lisa,

I'm glad you enjoyed the follies :mrgreen: . . .
and bravo for you for putting your self out there.

I think this was just an experiment with just one aspect of our lives . . .
one that we've enjoyed sharing with others . . .
and the last thing I thought I'd be doing . . . is inspiring anyone. :shock:
I think Dylan had that foresight though . . . he stated something about "giving hope" to beginners
as the reason for his videos (in the typed introduction to his videos).

Looking forward to your video.
We've all been there so don't worry about us being critical . . .
we are the last ones to be critical of anyone's performance.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 03/04/2009 1:15 am
(@jaythejoker)
Estimable Member

This forum is so huge, still finding all these great threads.

It's great to hear some of you guys from the Sunday songwriting (playing and singing) in here, gives me an idea of what all those lyrics will end up like :D

I may post a video of my own, just want to find a song I like and am comfortable with first.
I have to agree with Lisa (by the way, definitely post up a video!) with this thread being inspirational.
Actually being able to hear my progress would be great.

Posted : 03/04/2009 8:41 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi Lisa and Jay

guitarnoise.com and Dave Hodge's beginner lessons was my inspiration to keep learning. All of the beginners in this thread I'm sure fed of each other for inspiration, plus we had a good laugh and a joke while we were doing it, which I think is very important.

And as KR2 said about criticism - This is the last place you will find anyone being critical of any beginners playing (well maybe as a joke) because for beginners it's just not necessary. Heck, we're critical enough about ourselves without anyone else jumping in. :roll:

As for Lisa doing an open mic - The thought of that sends shivers down my spine so I take my hat of to you for that. It's something I haven't even considered yet. For your interest though, I've just read a very interesting set of articles on the home page of this website about playing live - very good reading and should help you a lot.

Welcome to beginners videos - I'm sure you will be very happy here (unless you get too good too quick and then we'll make your life hell)... :wink:

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 03/04/2009 10:25 am
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

I tabbed out "Substitute" by the Who for easy songs recently - by the time I'd gone over it, played it a few dozen times, made sure everything was in the right place....I know it inside out, forwards, backwards, sideways. I can play it without even having to think where to put my fingers....and that's just learning it over a couple of days.

Vic

Vic that's awesome - for you :evil: The rest of us who waited until we had arthritis to pick up the guitar are still working on our chord changes :evil: Anyway I was really talking about SOUL 8) here and I'm thinking that even someone like Pete Townsend still practices before a gig, as if he didn't already know the songs forwards and backwards already ....

Lisa! Welcome aboard! I didn't start playing guitar until I was 42. A year later Izzy started this thred and I realized I didn't have to be a professional musician to move to the next level - playing for other people. Video is a safety net because if you blow it, you just do another take. Conversely, once you do make it through a song - on video - it becomes "yours", you tell yourself that you can really do this because you've done it before :wink:

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 03/04/2009 5:26 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Stella, I'm not bragging, OR putting you down in any way - believe me, the last thing I'd EVER do is put anyone off from playing guitar.

I starting playing when I was 17 - I started LEARNING TO PLAY PROPERLY when I was 46 and found Guitarnoise. Course, I'd had thirty years or so of practising A D and E, and G, Em C and D by then - and learning how to transpose, so's I could play any song with variations on those chords. Bm? Wouldn't go near it with a bargepole....B7, forget it. Same with C7 - I still can't play B7 (x21202) or C7 (x32310) in a song, I use barre chords with my pinky on the top E string......

But, I've had a lot of hand injuries over the last few years - every time I thought I was getting somewhere, I'd break a finger - or an arm - or sever a tendon. So I had to put more and more hard work into playing after every time I'd had a break - I got totally obsessed with guitar at times, to the detriment of relationships, health (forgot to eat a lot of times!) and friendships.

So I've cut back a little - I only play for about 6-8 hours a day now.

And I STILL make a lot of mistakes.....

But the point I was trying to get across there was, if you can spend a couple of days on a song - forget everything else, just focus on that one song - play it till you're sick of it, till you can hear it resonating in your head even when you're NOT listening to it....you'll learn that song for life. And there are things in that song that you'll carry forward into the NEXT song you learn....

OK, not all of us have the spare time I have to devote to playing guitar - or listening to music - or BOTH at the same time....but at the end of the day, it all boils down to one thing - the more you play, and the more structured your play is, the better you'll get.

Try and find the time to play....otherwise, you will regret it. Bring your kids into it - try and get them singing along, when they're old enough. otherwise, just smile at them and include them in somehow.....when you're learning that ONE song you have to learn, bring the kids into the learning process. They'll love you for it, later - honestly! If I pick a guitar up and play G and Cadd9, my youngest daughter will start singing "You Can't Always Get What You Want"......and that's a song I learned when she was about 2-3 years old. Now she's 22 - but she still remembers.....

If there's something you want to do badly enough, you'll find a way to do it.

Keep rockin' & keep practising - you WILL get there, eventually. How long it takes you to get where you want to go depends on you.

Arthritis? OK, I'll have it in my knees - or my back. But not my fingers - and I think the more I play, the longer I'll keep it at bay. Already getting the first twinges......I think....in the knees. Just keep it away from my hands - I've already mentioned somewhere else tonight, I hope to pick up a guitar on my 100th birthday and be able to play a couple of songs that'll be recognised. 48 years and a couple of months to go.....

All the best, from the would-be-oldest-rocker-in-the-nursing-home-in-about-50-years-time,

Vic

Posted : 04/04/2009 11:51 pm
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Bring your kids into it - try and get them singing along, when they're old enough. otherwise, just smile at them and include them in somehow.
Vic

Like this dude, I love this guy (oh and thhe Beatles too :lol: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlOTdZL7r0E

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

Posted : 06/04/2009 1:53 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

every time I thought I was getting somewhere, I'd break a finger - or an arm - or sever a tendon. So I had to put more and more hard work into playing after every time I'd had a break

Hey Vic - are you a kind of guitar-playing cage fighter or something... :? As mum used to say, 'keep doing that and you'll hurt yourself' ... she also told me not to sit on cold steps, bite my nails and always wear clean underwear in case i got run over by a bus 'what would the neighbours think' - :roll: ah, don't you just love 'em!

Anyways - :note2: :note2: :note2: :note2: :note2: :note2: IT'S NEW VIDEO TIME :note2: :note2: :note2: :note2:

As threatened I thought I'd show you my new electric guitar - well, not the new electric, another one because my friend decided he'd like to have my first one - but actually this is much better... :) Anyways, I'm only messing around on it really because I've still a lot to learn on the acoustic....ooooooo, but I just couldn't help myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_H3C_dnYaE

Rock on!
D 8)

Posted : 06/04/2009 1:43 pm
Page 57 / 73