Clear all

Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.8 K Views
(@davidhodge)

Oh, that made my day! Thanks!

You're doing a good job with the alternate picking (amazing how it usually takes beginners ages to even start) but I'd like to suggest you concentrate more on making your pick stroke shorter. You've got great motion and your hand is doing exactly what you want it to do, but if you make the actual pick stroke shorter, you'll be in better position for the second stroke and you'll find that you'll get a lot quicker and more confident as well.

Looking forward to a lot more of these, Dylan. I should use you as a test subject for my new book :wink:

Peace

David

Posted : 06/04/2009 1:56 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

DYLAN - Rock On Indeed - can't wait :lol: but I know you can take my comments in stride :wink: A musician absolutely CANNOT afford to be a sensitive artiste - leave that to the painters, puppeteers and poets who toil hidden from the public eye :lol:

Which means - VIC - that I am not as sensitive as you might think and hope that you're not that sensitive either - you sound quite tough! Very inspiring for those of us whose fingers don't move as fast as we would hope :wink: I will take your good advice and keep plugging away - but all things in good time - it may still be a couple of years before I'm mike-worthy :wink:

(

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 06/04/2009 2:25 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

VIC - that I am not as sensitive as you might think and hope that you're not that sensitive either - you sound quite tough! (

Ha! John Rambo, Snake Pliskin, Jack Bauer and John McClane and got NOTHING on our Vic - I hear he can down three bottles of Newky Brown without raising an eyebrow.... :shock: Take his name in vein at your peril :evil:
Oh, that made my day! Thanks!

If I can make anybody's day (ah yes Stella - I missed out Harry Callahan from the list) by making a jovial video then that's got to be good, eh? Not sure about a test subject though Dave - don't like the thought of those electrodes and having to run around glass tubes to get to my food... but, if you think it will help, please do!

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 06/04/2009 2:37 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Dylan, you are great, man! :D

And very cool guitar!

Posted : 06/04/2009 7:36 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

After practicing the same song for months I get tired of hearing it . . .
so I changed the settings on the amp to get a different sound.
This setting on the amp is called Reggae Wah . . .
I thought it sounded pretty funny. :D

Going on 19 months of guitar playing . . .

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/kenrogers2/?action=view&current=DustwithWah.flv

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 08/04/2009 9:19 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Dylan, nice job with the electric, it's a whole different animal I'v found.

Ken, your Dust in the Wind sound great! Do you have a bit of chorus and reverb on it? Sounds pretty cool.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 09/04/2009 3:04 am
 etm
(@etm)
Estimable Member

Bring your kids into it - try and get them singing along, when they're old enough. otherwise, just smile at them and include them in somehow.
Vic

Like this dude, I love this guy (oh and thhe Beatles too :lol: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlOTdZL7r0E

Keith

thanks for sharing this link...

http://www.soundclick.com/etmphils
http://www.youtube.com/edwinmendiola78
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ETM/69309099145?ref=search

Posted : 09/04/2009 7:40 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Ken, very nice playing! The intro is very, very smooth! And I think you are playing at tempo, isn't? Many congrats Sir! :D

Dust in the wah... the effects are a good way of inspiration and motivation. Sometimes I am also tired of the same songs, scales and exercises, then I plug some boxes and I try to look for new tones or effects. The wah (or autowah or envelope filters in general) are very funny. The long delays are also funny.

BTW, yesterday I purchased a Korg Pandora. It was my solution for recording in the laptop with the camera. I'll try to record and upload my first video these days.

Posted : 09/04/2009 8:30 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Going on 19 months of guitar playing . . .

Yup, pretty much the same timespan as me Ken and I have to admit :oops: that you can get through DITW without stopping for breath a lot better than me (and I do practice it for about five minutes every time I pick up the guitar). That's great!!!!

Now, how about singing along to it?

This little amplifier I got with my electric has some amazing effects. I know I should just concentrate on a pure sound until I get a bit better, but you just can help playing around with it can you... :roll:

Isabelle - is the Putfile site still on maintenance? I still haven't got to hear your latest yet. Can you put it up somewhere's else?

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 09/04/2009 2:21 pm
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Well, I've delayed, postponed, and made excuses, but here it is my first video. Sillouettes.
Two months learning guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3jIvoTo9x0
Sorry for the video qualiy.

Dave

Posted : 09/04/2009 2:38 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

it is very good for two months! The strumming is almost homogeneous. You should work on the chord changes but they are also pretty good.

And it is good you start to play and sing simultaneously. It is not easy.

Posted : 09/04/2009 3:26 pm
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Thanks Nuno,
The chord changes are rough especially the Am to D, I am having trouble getting that one. A to D isn't bad but when I drop a finger back for the Am I can't seem to get back to the D and when I do get it, I'm getting too much bend on the e string. Oh well there's always something to work on. :)

Posted : 09/04/2009 3:50 pm
(@davidhodge)

You could also go with a D7 instead of D on this one and it shouldn't sound that different. That's not to say that you shouldn't work on the Am to D change, of course, but it is an option for this particular song.

Good work, by the way. Especially given this is at just two months. Well done.

Peace

Posted : 09/04/2009 4:06 pm
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Thanks! I hadn't thought to try the D7 instead it should be much easier to reach since the shape is so similar to the
Am. I think I'll try it both ways.
Dave

Posted : 09/04/2009 6:53 pm
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

Two months! :shock: I'm very impressed!

You appear to have a very relaxed strumming arm, something I struggle with.

Kudos to you!

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

Posted : 10/04/2009 12:32 am
Page 58 / 73