Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.6 K Views
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

NICE ROUND OF VIDEOS!
Claudine you have some pro potential there what with the musician's hands and the next 70 yrs of playing guitar to look forward too.... consider posting on my - ahem - advanced beginner 'busking' thred :twisted: ... that video posting thing has got to be one of the fastest ways to elevate oneself from 'noodling' to 'performing' .

Isabelle and Dylan you have made awesome progress for the short time you have both been playing ... I love that reggae riddim, you really do sound like you are having fun too!

BTW knowing an entire song - however simple - is priceless when you haul out the guitar at the next neighbourhood potluck ... OK who really WANTS to hear another ' smells like a solo' - so don't waste too many tears over it ... go back to having fun instead... :D

So I just got 'Guitar for Dummies' and I have to say I am glad I haven't been learning thru this book .... I'd still be on page 75 of 400 with a repertoire consisting of Kumbaya :evil: and Little Brown Jug ...

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 28/10/2007 6:26 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

NICE ROUND OF VIDEOS!
Claudine you have some pro potential there what with the musician's hands and the next 70 yrs of playing guitar to look forward too.... consider posting on my - ahem - advanced beginner 'busking' thred :twisted: ... that video posting thing has got to be one of the fastest ways to elevate oneself from 'noodling' to 'performing' .

Big thanks :wink:

Even if I didn't understand all that you said :oops: (english is not my first langage)

I'll consider to post on the advenced beginner thread, if I can find it :P

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 28/10/2007 8:03 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hey nice to have you back Stella :D How was the holiday?

Posted : 29/10/2007 5:59 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey all,

Good to start monday off with a laugh. Thanks for the two teen spirit vids Isabelle, just perfect.... The same scene is probably being played out in a thousand houses around the world.... :D

Most of my attempts end with a frustrated strum or you just feel so bad about what your fingers are doing it's best to turn the vid off... :cry: - and when you reckon you've got it just about right and ready for a 'take' - nope... the fingers rebel once again.. :twisted:

Hmmm, yes, the REM bridge.... well, of course my attempts at barre chords are documented and, as the bridge is two....Grrrrrr... two barre's - you can imagine that the bridge is not coming along at breakneck speed - although between you and me, I think I'm making an improvement.... :wink:

And, when I've perfected Wish You Were Here, including the solo, I'm moving on to Kumbaya and Little Brown Jug... :roll:

Rock on

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 29/10/2007 9:52 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Claudine, very good! Good fingers for playing guitar!

Isabelle, be patience, you are making it very well. Your strumming is great!

Stellabloo, nice lullaby! You are improving in each new video.

Dylan, you are great man!

Peejay, nice fingerpicking song!

Simonsays, great chord changes in your version of Wish you were here.

Jenny, it is not easy sing and play the guitar simultaneosly. Very good. And keep smiling! :D

(Sorry if I forgot some video.)

Usually I record myself each other weekend. (I follow an advice of Barnabus 'Trevor' Rox.) Yesterday I was recording some demos of my new guitar and also my current lessons. Months ago I used to record several takes, and each take required several 'trials' until it was played without mistakes. Yesterday each take needed just one trial

Remember it. And return to these videos from time to time.

Congratulations!

:D :D :D

Posted : 29/10/2007 1:12 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Jenny

I can't believe I've only just watched your WYWH video - how did I miss it? Awesome!!!! :shock:

I have been wailing along to WYWH and REM and Dylan while strumming horrendous chords and the timing is shot to pieces - I will record something pretty soon to keep you company, but I'm not sure if I can compete yet... :oops:

Isn't it great though, that after all the years of just listening to our favourite songs, we can actually pick up an instrument and play something vaguely similar - it feel fantastic :D :D :D

I get goosebumps when I've finished practicing something like WYWH - Wahhhooooooooooooooooo :P

New webcam and microphone on it's way next month... :roll:

Rock on Jenny

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 29/10/2007 3:02 pm
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

Claudine...
Isabelle...
Stellabloo...
Dylan...
Peejay...
Simonsays...
Jenny...
(Sorry if I forgot some video.)
Nuno is the best ever at remembering every post. :D

Anyways, I was sick for a good part of last week, but I'll try to get a new video made soon. Not sure what it will be yet, but I feel like I need that "recording pressure" to motivate me to try to polish something up a little bit. ;)

Posted : 30/10/2007 12:17 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Thanks Nuno :P

I'll try to post another video soon. I think I'll try to play Stairway to heaven, but not the whole song, cause I'm still learning the solo :wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 30/10/2007 1:09 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What a great topic! on't think this has happened before on GN, really motivational to see that we're all having problems but we're all improving. 8) I really wanted to make a clip of me playing a song but the sad truth is that I dont know any. Not one. It's pretty humiliating but so be it. Hope this noodling suffices as well. As this is the first time I'll post my ugly face in a video I'd like to warn people not to sit too close to the screen. :P

http://bands.soundclick.com/share/38134

Posted : 30/10/2007 4:14 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Umm Ignar u are in the wrong thred - this is for beginners :roll: but we do see that U opted for the violin over the haircut :twisted:

OK yesterday's video I posted under VIRTUAL BUSKING (same forum as this) mostly cuz I didn't feel like digging out the tab and posting it in the Easy Songs section. But anytime anyone feels like posting on BUSKING thred - please go ahead - I am very lonely over there.

(virtuosos with ur own label get ur own thred :evil: )

I don't want to discourage anyone from recording themselves in the process of learning - which I thought was the intent of this beginner thred.
BUSKING is intended for anyone who wants to show off their style hopefully without too many glaring mistakes as - unlike this very friendly no0by thred - it may put U at risk of receiving virtual tomatoes :twisted:

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 30/10/2007 5:04 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

wow sorry, didn't mean harm. I thought about posting it elsewhere but feared people would call me arrogant for not posting it in here. And to be honest they would have point. I played nothing but one little pentatonic scale, no outside notes, no tremolo picking, no vibrato on bended notes, no position shifts during a lick, no double stops, no arpeggios and well, no nothing, really. I just thought some people wouldn't mind seeing how easy blues lead playing is. One of the biggest reasons I see locally for people not playing lead is because they exaggerate how hard it is, just thought this would with that. You want me to remove the link? I don't think I can delete the post but I can edit it.

Posted : 30/10/2007 6:08 pm
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi :D

Well I really enjoyed it Arjen! 8)

I was quite amazed at how well it sounded for what you did.
And it was clearly evident by watching that you weren't doing much....
I kept waiting for a position change - nope.

It was very.... melodic or something, though no... It didn't club you over the head with a melody
or a repetive structure.
It kept chugging right along :D

And unlike MANY solo's, it didn't have that annoying air of over-indulgence :wink:
Very tasteful and satisfying!
Great tone as well!

Thankx - I'm going to go practice my soloing now :oops:

Ken :wink:

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

Posted : 30/10/2007 7:16 pm
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

And unlike MANY solo's, it didn't have that annoying air of over-indulgence :wink:
Very tasteful and satisfying!

+1, it was great, looked very simple but hit the spot, really relaxed feel to it, smashing. Can't believe you can't play a song! How can you play like that and not have learned any songs?? I think you're holding out on us.. :wink:

Hey Dylan, looking forward to your rendition of WYWH, I admit I've given up on it somewhat, for the moment anyway, the frustration got too much :x Next time we see you will you be in glorious technicolour? :D

Posted : 30/10/2007 7:45 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Ignar

Yup, I think I agree with Stella - You're far toooooo coooool to be on this thread. I listened and drifted away down that lazy river....

Honestly, it sounded great. I notice you've also been on the board since '03 which I reckon is a tad more than beginner status, although as they all seem to say - you never stop learnin... :roll:

As for the ugly face....I removed my shades and still couldn't see you, so you've got away with that one... :D

I've just learned the E Pentatonic Scale and it sounds nothin like that....maybe I need to plug my acoustic into the mains.. :shock:

Do me a big favour and learn Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond - Post it as a new thread on hear here - I just want to sit and listen....Mmmmm....coool...

Awww, now I feel like we're ganging up on one of our brethren... :(

As for my version of WYWH - it may wait a while also, I've got something else up my ruffled sleeve. May show all in glorious technicolor or may keep retro - not sure yet...let's see what mood I'm in....

Rock on

D 8)

Posted : 30/10/2007 10:54 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Ignar, that was pretty mellow lead playing. Very nice to listen to :D I'm just starting to try some lead guitar in my lessons. Nothing more complicated than bits of the A minor pentatonic with a couple of bends thrown in. I wish I sounded as good as you.... Where did you get your backing tracks from?

Anyway, I havent posted a video for a while so I'll be getting the camera out tomorrow. I'm planning on 'Jolene' for the virtual busking thread and either 'The needle and the damage done' or maybe REM's 'The one I love' for the beginners thread.

Cheers,
Simon (Just about to change my strings...)

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 30/10/2007 11:50 pm
Page 6 / 73