Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.8 K Views
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Not exactly a video but the guitar playing was well done.
Are you singing while you are playing or did you lay down two tracks?
I've noticed that singing along with playing helps keep the beat steady . . . I have a tendency to speed up when I play.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 25/04/2009 2:09 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I think your must work the singing a little bit but if you are able to play the guitar in that way in only six months, you will playing anything you want in six months more!

Posted : 25/04/2009 2:20 pm
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

If you are giving it a go, then best of luck in getting that one done, it's insane!! LOL

I have put California Dreaming very low of my list if his songs to learn... purely based on how difficult it looks. I want to learn to play it so bad, but I know better, and will wait.

I am spiting my time between two songs right now... Breathe and Here comes the Sun. I am learning breathe for myself, as I am a huge Pink Floyd fan, and Here comes the Sun for others, as it is a very recognizable song, and the fact that I like it too. I have downloaded both of his videos for the songs and play them at 1/4 speed (for now). It helps a lot.

I am getting pretty good at both of them... I am still having trouble with the speed/ryhthm, but that will come. I am trying to work on accuracy and correct fingering first. I find both these songs to be perking my interest in fingerpicking. I have never spent so much time practicing before. I am hoping that by eventually learning these songs as "perfectly" as possible, that the base skill will come with it and I will be able to transfer the skills to other songs... we'll see.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

Posted : 25/04/2009 10:14 pm
(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll be the first to admit that the singing isn't exactly pleasant, but I'll work on it! It was recorded on one track, by the way.

Posted : 26/04/2009 2:07 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

I think your must work the singing a little bit but if you are able to play the guitar in that way in only six months, you will playing anything you want in six months more!

Hey, I'll second that - that's incredible for six months (or maybe I'm just naturally untalented and a slow-learner :cry: ).

Playing was lovely. I tried to learn that for months. A killer on the fingers with the capo that far up the neck. I never did master it and what I did manage, It never sounded that clear and clean.. :(

Singing, yeh. To manage to sing and play at the same time is difficult. I now think that the sooner you start the better so well done for that and sharing it with us.

Is it baratone? I think that's what they call it - oh well, maybe not, but it's quite deep and a little raspy, but has a decent tonal range that just needs controlling a bit. To get a good indication, maybe record the guitar on a separate track and then singing so you can concentrate on that a bit more - the more you do, the better you will get....

You will probably find with other songs you will need to change the key of the song to suit your tonal range - quite easy by just moving the capo.

Well, done, and thanks for sharing.

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 27/04/2009 7:43 am
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll be the first to admit that the singing isn't exactly pleasant, but I'll work on it! It was recorded on one track, by the way.

Wow! The guitar was really good (not even counting that you've only been playing for 6 months). The notes sounded clear and evenly played, the rythm was good, the timing sounded good, all in all, pretty bloody impressive!

:) The singing has potential! At the moment it is pitchy, true, but it improved as you sang, so maybe you just need to do a bit of work on warming up and singing the dreaded scales to get your ear in a little better. The key of the song might also be a little out for you, so maybe playing around a little with a capo to see if a slight shift in key makes it easier? However, you have a nice tone in your voice, and maybe need to just get a little more comfortable with the idea of singing, as well.

As an aside: does, or has, anyone else out there had issues with learning to trust their voice and to sing properly (or to your potential) without feeling like a bit of a fake or try-hard?

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

Posted : 28/04/2009 1:56 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

As an aside: does, or has, anyone else out there had issues with learning to trust their voice and to sing properly (or to your potential) without feeling like a bit of a fake or try-hard?
I've yet to try mine and bellow it out. I've for some reason always fancied myself as a raspy, gruffy kind of low vocals singer. I've gone on to prove that's wrong. Now I'm trying to learn to let it go and blast out. We'll see.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 28/04/2009 2:12 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

When I decided to try and sing along to my guitar playing I decided very early on to let my own voice decide which route it would take rather than trying to copy another persons style or sound. Some folks are lucky to have a naturally good singing voice. I was quite happy with my voice until I recorded it for the first time...

I thought it sounded awful - I really didn't like hearing it and nearly decided to concentrate on just the playing until I got some favourable comments from the folks here on this thread. That made all the difference so I persevered.

I know that I need to be more competent in my guitar playing before I can totally relax and concentrate on my singing, that should help. I think what I'm trying to say is that I've not felt like a fake because it's my own voice and sound but try-hard - yeh, I know my limitations, I try hard and it feels like it, but I think it's getting better...

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 28/04/2009 7:51 am
(@bjourne)
Trusted Member

Wow, all videos posted are really good. I'm very impressed and just a litlte jealous. :roll:

Posted : 07/05/2009 7:52 pm
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member

Okay. I said I would do this... :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CG64gty6JU

It is just a snippet of "Little Conversations" by Concrete Blonde, and I'm really only posting this so I can figure it all out. Wasn't sure how much time I could have on my poor old antiquated Mac, how high a quality of video I would need, how I'd post it on YouTube...

So, I'm also going to do a snippet of classical, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUtajOTI9mM

and maybe try to sing a little along with House of the Rising Sun or something equally over-played :roll:

This is pretty confronting stuff, but I KNOW it will get easier :wink:

One fingering suggestion on the Carulli Etude, at the start of the third repeated section (I didn't count measures since there some incompletes in there), the ligado from G down to E, use the pinky and then you can already have the ring finger in place on the C on the fifth string.

And as David said, don't push your overall tempo until you're comfortable with it over the entire piece. That will reduce the pressure on you to play some sections perfectly before they are ready.

That is a beautiful piece and I personally think it sounds better just a tad slower anyway. Keep up the good work and you'll have it down before you know it. You did a great job on it, especially the first section.

____
Steve

Posted : 28/05/2009 5:42 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi all

Ahhh, it seem like an age since I was last here posting videos....

Well, somethings you just have to wait for...like buses, lottery wins, the postman, less taxes, wage rises - and a new offering from me, but I hope it's worth the wait.

I've been learning cross-picking and have tried my hand at the Beatles classic, Norwegian Wood.

So, for all you BEGINNERS out there, your chance to have a laugh at someone else's expense without doing it to their face...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4PdFl6DMZw

The next one will be barre chords and then I really must join the buskers thread...

Enjoy and...

Rock on!
D 8)

Rock on!

Posted : 30/05/2009 1:31 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Good job, DB . . . you're an inspiration.
I'm working on that song and it's coming along . . . slowly . . . as usual.
It's going to be a while before I'm comfortable enough to sing along . . . I think it takes me longer to program my muscle memory into my fingers . . . (my fingers must have very weak brains)
I enjoyed the narration . . . just the right amount of rambling.
I too need to get that pinky to go where it's never gone before . . .
there's gotta be exercises for that . . . I would think.

(To change the subject) Hey Isabelle . . . you still around?

OK, back to work . . .
:note2: I once was a girl . . . :note1: or should I say . . . :note2: she once was me :note1: . . .

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 30/05/2009 3:45 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Nice going, Dylan. Always entertaining to boot. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 30/05/2009 4:46 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

KR - Hi yes still there. Dealing with a bit of crap in my life and I don't come here very often. Sorry. Will catch up with you all soon.

Take care x

Posted : 03/06/2009 6:52 pm
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Nice job Dylan. :)

Posted : 04/06/2009 3:19 pm
Page 62 / 73