Clear all

Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.8 K Views
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Thank you Nuno for caring :wink: I'm hiding in the "Virtual Busking" thred trying to pass myself off as someone who actually knows how to play guitar :lol:

... after haunting the Beginner's Videos for almost 2 years :roll:

... but JUST TO MAKE YOU HAPPY :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK7-jTVuqGU

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 30/11/2009 11:53 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

You were practicing all this time, isn't? :lol:

Yes, I agree, it is time for leaving the nest. I will look for the other thread.

Well done!

Posted : 01/12/2009 1:29 pm
(@dd61500)

And you're not afraid to get in front of the camera and share your music

Ha ha :P I psyched myself up and thought I would be able to sit in front of the camera with no problem. Boy was I wrong!! That is such a hard thing to do. I would get a song down to where I thought it was pretty good (at least my dog wasn't complaining), and then once the camera was on, my fingers would no longer work! You have no idea how many takes I shot...If it hadn't been for you all in the forum, I think I would have given up the camera and just kept playing for the dog!

As for the fingerstyle, I'm really drawn to it. After David Hodge's lessons on fingerpicking (which I never got quite down despite playing ad naseum) I began to single out all the songs in my ipod that featured fingerpicking. I started downloading tabs like crazy. The first one that I learned to play was Radiohead's Street Spirit Fade Out. I'm working now on HOTRS and the Silent Night arrangement.

I'll try to post again soon

Diana

Gott weiβ ich will kein Engel sein

Posted : 01/12/2009 10:28 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Recordings are not easy. You can know all the chords but when you press the camera button or computer key...

However, the recordings are very important because you can listen (and see) your own mistakes with critic ears (and eyes).

Anyway, congrats on your recording!

Posted : 02/12/2009 2:14 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Diana you are doing absolutely great and in fact the best thing to happen to the Beginner Video thred in almost a year - good for you!

The camera and this thred were possibly the best things to happen to my playing - I don't have a guitar teacher either so doing videos gave me a) a goal and b) feedback once I reached my goal. And it really helped with performance anxiety too which, if you ever want to get out of your room and actually play in front of other living breathing people, is important :roll:

If you are drawn to fingerstyle you might find the lesson on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star useful - it is hiding in the intermediate section. The point of the lesson is to take a simple song and understand how to turn that into a fingerstyle arrangement - I can't memorize tab for the life of me :evil: this may have something to do with my age - good for you if you can! Actually I can't even play Twinkle Twinkle worth squat but I can do my own arrangements = priceless :wink:

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 02/12/2009 6:31 pm
(@sascha-beck)

Hi all,

about me: I'm 39 years old and I play the guitar for about 2 years.
Umfortunately without any concept or plan and not very often. A while ago I stumbled over this site and now I'm trying to follow that "Easy songs for beginners" road...

Let's see where it leads me.

Here is my first try on "House Of The Rising Sun": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT0VUAe3uWU

I'm always open for suggestions and tips of all kinds...

Sascha

p.s. Please excuse my English, it is not my first language.

Posted : 30/12/2009 10:33 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Hi Sascha.
I think there is something wrong with your link.
I don't know about anyone else but when I link to your YouTube video it says . . .

"This video is private."

So I can't view it.

I don't know what you did to make it private . . . but if you want it viewed by others, you need to undo it.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 07/01/2010 12:28 am
(@sascha-beck)

Hi,

thanks for the hint! ;)

It should work now...

cheers

Sascha

Posted : 07/01/2010 1:22 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Here is my first try on "House Of The Rising Sun": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT0VUAe3uWU

I'm always open for suggestions and tips of all kinds...

Sascha

p.s. Please excuse my English, it is not my first language.

Ah, it seems like only yesterday..... HOTRS.... :cry:

Welcome Sascha, you've found a good home to lay your guitar case here.

The beginners songs are a great place to start and 'House' is probably the best, a close second being Horse With No Name.

Good job with the vid - just keep practising the transitions and they will come in time.

And if you don't understand any of our subtle comments and jokes, just ask for an explanation :wink:

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 07/01/2010 1:37 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Okay, okay. I've procrastinated long enough. I picked up the guitar a few months ago, and this thread has really given me a lot of encouragement. So, here's my little addition: Drive You Home by Garbage. Probably should have played it faster, but I think its passable this way. Singing's a bit rusty too, so go easy!!

Got the looks, got the voice, got the confidence, got the sound.... :roll: Annoying isn't it! And we all have to try sooooo hard (apart from you Stella, of course x).

Go for it Diana!

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 07/01/2010 2:26 pm
(@dd61500)

Hey Sascha-I'm in the same boat. I've been working on House of the Rising Sun for a while now, and can't quite seem to get it down. It took me about two months to get my chords to flow smoothly, but I'm still having issues. My strings keep buzzing despite my holding the neck with a death grip. (And I don't think its the action) At least you don't seem to have that problem :lol:

I'll post my "version" soon. Perhaps one of you who've been there before can offer some advice!

Diana

Posted : 08/01/2010 5:40 pm
(@hanemu)

Hi Sascha. I looked at your video and your playing is very smooth. Congrats for your courage, I haven't got it yet!
Here is one piece of advice that my teacher continuously gives me when fingerpicking: try to have your right hand fingers at 90 degrees with your strings and the thumb parallel to the strings. It does not seem a very natural position at first, but it really helps and prevents your thumb and fingers from getting in each other's way. I hope this helps.

Posted : 19/01/2010 7:25 pm
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

I've recorded a few songs and i'm going to post them. Be warned, my vocals are pretty atrocious (not that my guitar playing isn't) :mrgreen:
One of the songs is in Hindi and the other 2 are in English.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=860131

I'm not completely satisfied with "I'm looking through you", but i'll leave it up. Would welcome any feedback :)

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

Posted : 25/01/2010 5:42 am
(@dd61500)

Today I reached a major milestone, and I simply couldn't go on without sharing it! I was actually able to make a barre chord sound passable! Woo Hoo! Now if I could only play it in conjunction with some other chords to make an actual song!

http://s784.photobucket.com/albums/yy126/burning_giraffe001/?action=view&current=clip-2010-01-25125301.flv

-Diana

Posted : 25/01/2010 6:12 pm
(@davidhodge)

I'm not completely satisfied with "I'm looking through you", but i'll leave it up. Would welcome any feedback :)

You're definitely dropping a beat in the "I thought I knew you" part. You've only got three beats in that measure and four in the rest. Actually, being able to switch so seamlessly from 4 / 4 to 3 / 4 timing takes a lot of work and you did it quite well, but I don't think it's what you meant to do.

Good work overall! Especially liked Sabse Peeche Hum Khade. Looking forward to more.

Peace

Posted : 25/01/2010 6:24 pm
Page 64 / 73