Clear all

Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.8 K Views
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Thanks Round1, yeah it seems there is always another challenge from chord changes, to strumming, to sinnging while playing, then standing up while singing and playing, and barre chords :shock: , just keep on practicing it's amazing how quickly you improve. I hope to see your videos here soon it provides a good way to see how much we improve. I know I don't see how much I improve from day to day but if I record something now and compare it to just a few months ago there's a huge difference.

Posted : 01/03/2010 8:45 pm
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

I've been working on lead stuff of late and here's the solo from 'Your Decision' (Alice in Chains)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nSi0kwq6MU

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

Posted : 22/03/2010 2:27 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yes, still a beginner :lol:

Posted : 27/03/2010 3:02 pm
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Aren't You Adorable! XXXX (%

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

Posted : 27/03/2010 3:16 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I too, am still a beginner.
In fact I've decided that I'm going to place myself in that category . . . permanently . . . permanently.

Now the critique:

Whoa! Aren't we Miss Fancy Pants . . . taking on those barre chords.

I think you cheated and cut out the video of the transitions.
Lightning fast on those changes.
No wonder you got finger burn. Hah!

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 27/03/2010 4:07 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Izzy, here's one that I just started to work on today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsJ4O-nSveg

Good news: It's only three chords (mostly)
Bad news: two of them are barre chords

E B F#

Going from E form to A form barre to E form barre . . .
has anyone ever compared guitaring to self-torture?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 27/03/2010 4:28 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hey KR2! I didn't know that song. Good luck with it. Show us your barres!!!

CitiZenNoir - are you hitting on me? :shock:

Posted : 27/03/2010 4:39 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I like the sound of that, Izzy! That sure is a pretty guitar! If you're having wrist pain, try playing with something closer to the classical guitar position. Your left wrist is bent back awfully sharply the way you're doing it now.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 27/03/2010 4:40 pm
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

I would NEVER!
I know Your bf all too well!
But.... if he's not looking, then - Yes, I AM! :twisted:
XXXX

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

Posted : 27/03/2010 4:46 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

While the mic is working - sort of - this is what I've been up to the last year or so. So: still the same songs as before, with the same mistakes and same frustrations. I didn't realise when I started up playing guitar again that progress would be so slow.

Posted : 27/03/2010 5:38 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Good news: It's only three chords (mostly)
Bad news: two of them are barre chords

E B F#

Going from E form to A form barre to E form barre . . .
has anyone ever compared guitaring to self-torture?

Good news: capo on 2nd fret, your E B and F# chords become D, A and E chords. It's nice to be able to play barre chords fluently - but I'm also a great believer in KISS.....Keep It Simple, Sir!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 27/03/2010 7:22 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Ricochet. Sorry, what do you mean by classical position? Wrist closer to the neck? I can only do it with the guitar further away (ie - resting on my left leg instead of right) - feels very awkward, but it does seem to help :?

Posted : 28/03/2010 10:59 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Ricochet. Sorry, what do you mean by classical position? Wrist closer to the neck? I can only do it with the guitar further away (ie - resting on my left leg instead of right) - feels very awkward, but it does seem to help :?

By "classical position," I'm thinking Ric means the position a student of classical guitar would use..back straight, thumb in the middle of the neck, headstock tilted upwards at about a 30 degree angle....

Trouble is, the classical position doesn't suit everyone....like you, I play with the guitar on the left knee, but in the video, you look very cramped and uncomfortable. The guitar's tilted backwards, which isn't going to do your fretting hand/wrist any good - and your strumming arm looks to be at a strange angle, too! Still - if it works....

I suggest chilling out with a nice glass (or two) of French wine (or a broon!) and a couple of ciggies - then try and find a comfortable position!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 28/03/2010 12:54 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Exactly what I mean. And guitar pointed up a bit instead of flat horizontal, the neck back toward your body more. The classical players do it with their left foot propped up on a little stool and the guitar up at about a 45° tilt. That's probably the biomechanically optimal position in which to play a guitar, but I don't go all the way with the stool and everything.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 28/03/2010 4:10 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The classical players do it with their left foot propped up on a little stool and the guitar up at about a 45° tilt.
TMI, Ric...................

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 28/03/2010 4:13 pm
Page 66 / 73