Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.8 K Views
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

The classical players do it with their left foot propped up on a little stool and the guitar up at about a 45° tilt.
TMI, Ric...................

That made me laugh :)

Thanks Ric and Vic for the advice. Didn't play much today but will work on the position in the next few days.
x

Posted : 28/03/2010 7:30 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, at least I don't go all the way with a stool.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 29/03/2010 1:39 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

All positions aside ........ :mrgreen: That is a very nice looking guitar Isabelle. I have been tempted to get one but I have too many guitars and don't play the acoustic I have. (Note to self, buy strings) How do yo like it?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 29/03/2010 10:43 am
(@aragorn)
Trusted Member

Hi all - here's an abbreviated version of my work in progress on the Nowhere Man lesson. I bought my guitar at Christmas and promptly banged up my right thumb in a skiing accident. One surgery and 6 weeks of recovery later took a lot out of my practice schedule, but I can finally work my way through the song, albeit with a lot of buzzing, twanging and missed notes. If any of the pros have suggestions for things to work on, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXY1E7lyVVA

Posted : 04/04/2010 3:45 am
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Izzy! NICE GUITAR :shock:

Yeah I would be cussing out my guitar too if I was really worried about playing barre chords but I have enthusiastically embraced my destiny as a folk singer and player of open chords - on the other hand (har har), your fingers have years of life still left in them :mrgreen: - I swear you look like a wholesome, cleaned-up version of Britney Spears on your videos SO DON'T GIVE UP!

Welcome aboard Aragorn! If you sound like that after 3 months of practice, YOU should be giving US tips :lol:

Er, my guitar-shredding cousing sent me an email a while back suggesting I learn "Lightning Crashes" to improve my rhythm. I did try transposing it but - quite frankly - A, E and D sound nothing like the actual song. Maybe I'm too cheap to get a capo and too lazy to tune my guitar every time I put it on but does anyone have any suggestions for turning these chords into an actual arrangement? Cuz I really do like this song and am trying to update my repertoire a little bit - at least past the 70's :lol:

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 05/04/2010 3:35 pm
(@aragorn)
Trusted Member

stellabloo - that's very kind, thank you. Nothing like a little encouragement. I actually found recording myself to be a great way to analyze my playing. I get a much better sense of what I'm doing right and wrong. I liken it to the first time I played with a metronome on, a real eye-opener.

Posted : 05/04/2010 5:44 pm
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

Hi everyone. I was just reading around the board and forgot about this thread. I posted a link in the "Hear Here" forum to my very first time recording myself playing... I should have posted it here and will post future ones here until you kick me out... but that is a long time away. It has been great reading this thread again. I used to spend almost all my "GuitarNoise-time" here and catching up has been fun.

I have been learning/playing for about 6 months. I almost exclusively play fingerstyle and usually play on my classical. For this video I used my Ovation since my classical (which I usually play these days) doesn't have a pickup and I don't have a good microphone. I am not 100% used to it, so there are a lot of muted strings and missed notes. I only played it once through with none of the repeated sections.

After recording this I now truly understand why people say to record yourself playing. It is very hard and forces you to learn the song really well and play very carefully. I can easily see this helping my playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGdg5oDInZw

Any comments, suggestions, etc are appreciated. I tried recording video again but I just can't get my old webcam to work well enough. So, instead of video (until I get a new camera) I will just post audio to a Soundclick page - besides... it is a lot easier than setting up the camera all the time.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

Posted : 07/04/2010 4:15 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

That's an awesome ovation you got there!

I don't think I said that in the other thread.

I think you'll get kicked out sooner rather than later if you keep up what your doing.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 08/04/2010 3:31 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

While the mic is working - sort of - this is what I've been up to the last year or so. So: still the same songs as before, with the same mistakes and same frustrations. I didn't realise when I started up playing guitar again that progress would be so slow.
A haunting medley of classics performed with virtuosity and the occasional rolling of eyes - I loved every minute of it. A tear came to my eye when I heard REMs Everybody Hurts - and I was not disappointed at barre chord time - Great Scott McFly :wink: Seriously, great to see you back playing again and the barres are just great. I prefer the ones that serve drinks nowadays. :oops:
After recording this I now truly understand why people say to record yourself playing. It is very hard and forces you to learn the song really well and play very carefully. I can easily see this helping my playing.
Don't be so hard on yourself....let us do that for you... :D . That was pretty good actually. I like playing that one fingerstyle - lends itself quite well. As do most Lennon/McCartney songs - add in the classical style and you've got a sound of your own - One that hasn't been heard much on Beginners Videos (correct me if I'm wrong- which I usually am/are/is/was)...Hmmmm
I think you'll get kicked out sooner rather than later if you keep up what your doing.
:D Couple more months I think... :roll:

Hi Stella - how's things?

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 09/04/2010 1:18 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

DYLAN!!!! :D You're still alive! I still love you even tho you have given up posting videos - why Dylan why - the torch is yours to carry high and proud :lol:
... seriously, I miss you :cry: and the glove you threw down for the rest of us hacks .... and Beginner Videos just hasn't been the same - and neither has Virtual Busking - haven't made a thin red dime since you left :evil:

Lue (may I call you Lue?) - love the guitar (think I mentioned that already!) and you are do well with what is really quite a difficult piece. One piece of advice if I may (and this extends to all youtube newbies) - in the 3 years I have been posting my face and upper body on youtube, I never had one person come up to me and say "HEY - aren't you that horrible/wonderful/mediocre/goddawful/talented guitar player from youtube?" NOT ONE. :evil: I'm sure Dylan and Simon can testify to the same thing, even though Dylan is instantly recognizable in his sunglasses anywhere :lol:

So play away! :wink:

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 09/04/2010 3:27 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi all

Thanks for the good words (mainly on the guitar - not sure how to take Stella's "Britney" reference :o ), I'm surprised, I've had it a while now and have posted vids of it before.

TR - I LOVE that guitar. Then again, I don't know a lot about guitars myself. All I know is I started playing on a cheap electric (see early vids), was about to give up when I got an old Italian accoustic (Ecco) off a friend. After playing it for a weekend I KNEW I had to have an accoustic. Ken (CitiZenNoir) suggested an Epi Hummingbird, and without even trying it, I bought one online. I can't really give you a review - I'm sure Ken will, I understand he's played a couple of HBs (including mine). Everybody here knows he's a tone freak, so with my beginner's experience it's safe to say it has a NICE TONE to it :lol: I was on holiday in France not long ago, and got myself a Fender CD60. Cheaper than the HB, not as pretty (though I love the black satin finish - I wanted the HB in black but they don't have it in Europe), not as easy to play, not sounding as good. Plus it doesn't stay in tune (even the Ecco is better at it than the Fender, and if you saw the Ecco, you'd laugh).

Stella, Dylan, nice to see you again. I see you both left me here struggling in Beginner's while you've moved on to pastures new. Well done to you both!

aragorn: I'll second what's been said. I'm very impressed with your playing after playing just over 3 months *claps*

Lue - love the Yesterday arrangement so much I want to learn it myself - was it a GN lesson, or where did you find that tab?

Posted : 09/04/2010 5:32 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

So I got myself a Hal Leonard fingerpicking book on lue42's advice (I highly recommend) and had a go at Imagine. Still having probs with the cam mic, sorry about that.

Posted : 24/04/2010 9:42 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Or try this one - mic doesn't play up as much at the beginning. Made more mistakes than the first one though :S

Posted : 24/04/2010 10:09 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Great to hear you got one of those! I enjoy those books quite a bit....My Cherie Amour is one of the better ones in that book (You have the pop book right?)

Great job on Imagine!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 24/04/2010 10:38 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi there Joe! Yes, it's #15 Pop Hits - though the one you mentioned isn't on there :?

I watched your Ben Harper one this morning btw - beautiful - it just FLOWS (don't know the song myself either). Very nice *claps*

I've finally created a YouTube account with yet another version of Imagine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPc05kE8pBkr

Posted : 25/04/2010 10:33 am
Page 67 / 73