Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.8 K Views
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

You want me to remove the link? I don't think I can delete the post but I can edit it.

Naaah, don't be silly. Just throw in a few mistakes next time, and we just won't be as envious :)

Posted : 31/10/2007 1:21 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

As I said this morning, I'll post a video of me playing Stairway to Heaven

I did this in one take and it's an uncut version (not like my solo of Wanted Dead Or Alive... lol)

It was my first try and I'm a bit disapointed by the amp sound that I choose, too much treble and that sounds bad when I play some chords...

I made few mistakes and I'm not always "in time", but when I'll post a second version of that song, it'll be better :P

Here it is:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 31/10/2007 2:18 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Bravo Claudine! Bravo! :D

And do you say you are a beginner?
I don't know what did I do all this year? :roll:

Posted : 31/10/2007 8:33 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Absolutely stunning Claudine :shock:

I was really disappointed when it came to an abrupt end...just wanted it to go on...

It's a classic that I think everyone on this board would really love to play - not sure I would be able to get the spread on some of those chords though...

Don't really know what else to say..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Rock... :cry: ..on

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 31/10/2007 9:18 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Bravo Claudine! Bravo! :D

And do you say you are a beginner?
I don't know what did I do all this year? :roll:
I started playing guitar a year ago now, so I'm not an absolute beginner, but like many others say, it still MANY things to learn, so I consider myself like a beginner. And I'm not able to play like that in front of other people :roll: That's a thing I have to work on... :wink:
Absolutely stunning Claudine :shock:

I was really disappointed when it came to an abrupt end...just wanted it to go on...

It's a classic that I think everyone on this board would really love to play - not sure I would be able to get the spread on some of those chords though...

Don't really know what else to say..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Rock... :cry: ..on

D 8)

The abrupt end... I know... I was not able to upload my whole video of 4min46sec... it was too big I think... So I cut it before the end. Maybe it would have work on Youtube. More to come when I'll know the solo :wink:

Keep working hard Dylan, you'll be able to play Stairway to Heaven WAY before me as I can see your progress :)

I thought it was my own

Posted : 31/10/2007 10:49 am
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

I've been looking at REM's 'The one I love' for the last week or so. I'm not entirely happy with the arrangement yet so its still very much a work in progress. Not the entire song just a few bars (Love the ending though :mrgreen: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHtFTlKzMtc

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 31/10/2007 1:51 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

I started playing guitar a year ago now, so I'm not an absolute beginner, but like many others say, it still MANY things to learn, so I consider myself like a beginner. And I'm not able to play like that in front of other people :roll: That's a thing I have to work on... :wink:

The abrupt end... I know... I was not able to upload my whole video of 4min46sec... it was too big I think... So I cut it before the end. Maybe it would have work on Youtube. More to come when I'll know the solo :wink:

:shock: NICE! And Simon thanks for the contribution to VIRTUAL BUSKING - what with winter coming on (in our part of the world at least), what better way to instantly transport yourself to an old world plaza under sunny skies :D ?

Umm I noticed that the .wmv files take up a lot less room - youtube has a limit of 100 MB and my camera records as .avi which is why they are all short. Once the files are worthy of reformating we will go there :roll:

But anyway I posted to apologize once more - I am amazed and gratified by my progress considering I have no teacher, 3 children and a career - but the secret reality is that I have been playing piano for 30 YEARS! Otherwise I am a lazyass musician who just happened to pick up a guitar last year .... all that stuff about phrasing and tempo etc is old hat :evil: unfortunately :evil: so the rest of you are better than you think you are ... 8)

For me the guitar is a way to encourage the sharing of music and also appreciation for our rich musical heritage ... Simon FULL CREDIT for dusting off Jolene - the White Stripes version is pretty inspiring too... LOL - funny - some songs I didn't even like in the AM radio era :oops: I am now finding are so much fun to play I can't stop .... ROCK ON! 8)

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 31/10/2007 5:25 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Nice one Clou. 8) Do you have any previous experience with any other instrument, quite an impressive reach you've got there. I tried this one myself once but got fed up with. Not the easiest chords and the tempo is so low that every mistake seem to last for hours. Very well done!

jeny B:Can't believe you can't play a song! How can you play like that and not have learned any songs?? I think you're holding out on us..

Well, the best reason I can give is that I have a memory comparable with a reasonably messed-up grapefruit on a bad-hair day. I've got 130+ songs written and uploaded on soundclick but I couldn't play a single one if you'd ask me now. Big problem with the bands I've been in, too. I always forget how many verses I need to play and when the bridge comes etc. It sounds really lame but it has probably been the biggest influence on music for me: I usually improvise everything, from the chords and rhythm to the lyrics and solos. Sounds cooler then it is, I can't play anything anyone knows at parties (or atleast not the way the original artist did :P) and I know I could have been atleast halfway decent if I could just remember and focus better. I once did a lesson on a song here ( https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/love-is-all-around/ ) but I need to read it myself if I'd want to play it. It's idiotic.

Simon: Always loved REM, got all their stuff, this is a really great tune. As for your playing, don't see nothing wrong with it, rhythm seems tight as can be. Good job!

Dylan: thanks for the comments. Playing lead on an accoustic guitar is very, very different from this. The way I play totally doesn't work on an accoustic. Bending is a major problem for me, notes die out way too soon, trills take more strength and dynamics are much harder to control for me. Which is why I usually play with a battery, that fixes all those issues. Any battery will do (or a slide, if you're wealthy :P), tons of fun. :D As for crazy diamond: read the above. Wish I could but I could never remember that many notes and my sightreading is hopeless on a guitar. I'll see if I can find a backing and fake my way over it if you'd care.

Posted : 31/10/2007 6:24 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Nice one Clou. 8) Do you have any previous experience with any other instrument, quite an impressive reach you've got there. I tried this one myself once but got fed up with. Not the easiest chords and the tempo is so low that every mistake seem to last for hours. Very well done!

I also tried Stairway to heaven before I got a teacher and it just didn't work because I didn't quite know how to play in fingerpicking...

No, I have not any real experience with other instrument. I learned the basic of xylophone in high school, and flute... :lol: I also had guitar lesson at school when I was 12 years old but I hated it cause it was very boring! We learned a little song, pretty boring and everyone had to play at the same time.

I said I started 1 year ago, but it's nearest from 1 year and a half :wink: I'd say I started to be good this summer... before that, I didn't have the tempo of the song I played and my ears were not developped to understand the rythm and the strumming pattern...

I thought it was my own

Posted : 31/10/2007 7:20 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Good job :D Keep up the finger picking, You just about got it :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 31/10/2007 10:37 pm
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

Umm I noticed that the .wmv files take up a lot less room - youtube has a limit of 100 MB and my camera records as .avi which is why they are all short. Once the files are worthy of reformating we will go there :roll:
I use VirtualDub (free) to convert from the .avi my camera records to a smaller format. Just open the video, go to Video/Compression, choose a codec, and then File/Save as AVI. I add the greyscale filter, also.

If nothing else, it's a lot faster to upload a 4mb file compared to a 25mb one or 11mb instead of 60mb (that's the difference it made with the ones I've done so far). :D

Posted : 31/10/2007 10:46 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Sounds cooler then it is, I can't play anything anyone knows at parties (or atleast not the way the original artist did :P) and I know I could have been atleast halfway decent if I could just remember and focus better. I once did a lesson on a song here ( https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/love-is-all-around/ ) but I need to read it myself if I'd want to play it. It's idiotic.

Woah Ignar (Arjen?) - did you write this article too?
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/blues-solo-improvisation/

That is some seriously good stuff... full credit to those people who just naturally have music flowing out of their fingers (sounds way cooler - WHATEVER :roll: ) - you owe it to the world to develop your musical talent. So there. :evil:

Those are some good exercises in that article and I did bookmark it for my teenager .... my problem seems to be the complete opposite .. lead solos are NOT that gratifying on an acoustic guitar (unless I'm missing something) ...finger exercises bore me to tears and my fingers don't even WANT to stretch that far half the time ...I can cough up some simple blues to save my life but I just have too many one hit wonders and Grateful Dead hippie staples that I really really want to learn ! LOL

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 01/11/2007 3:03 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

WhywhyohwhyamIdoingthis.

Sorry - poor sound/video quality. Not to mention the poor singing and guitar playing, but that's what this thread is for :shock:

Posted : 04/11/2007 5:26 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

WhywhyohwhyamIdoingthis.

Sorry - poor sound/video quality. Not to mention the poor singing and guitar playing, but that's what this thread is for :shock:
Somehow this song had managed to slip totally under my radar, I'd never heard it before now. Its great, I cant stop singing it now :mrgreen:

You're too hard on yourself, I liked your version lots. I've had a quick blast through the chords and its a lot of fun to play on an acoustic 12 string. I used this free backing track to help me with the timing of the chord changes

http://www.allmidifiles.com/artists/hole.php

Try recording a version over the backing track, OK its not a real band just a cheesy MIDI file but I bet you'll be suprised how different you sound with some drums and bass sounds in the mix.

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 04/11/2007 7:36 pm
(@davidhodge)

You're definitely way too hard on yourself. This is a great attempt at a song that's not all that easy.

A couple of quick thoughts from watching the video - occasionally you really pull on your lower strings when fingering chords (the low E when you play a G and the A string when you play a C) and that makes essentially bends your root notes, playing them out of tune, which can make your chord sound funny even when you've got all the fingering right. This is a common obstacle for most beginners to overcome and, for obvious reasons, it's a lot more noticeable on an electric guitar. If you watch the strings in the video, you can see how you're pulling those strings almost into the next strings on some chords.

One thing that might help is to get a more classical position in your fretting hand. By "classical" I mean getting your fingertips more into the fretting by relaxing your grip on the neck slightly, which will allow your thumb to be more in the middle of the neck. The temptation with the electric guitar is to grip it like a racquet, but you can really ease up a bit and allow your fingers the leverage they need to get the notes cleanly.

A good indicator is that if you can feel the edge of the neck on the floor-side anywhere at all along the palm of your fretting hand, then you are probably pulling your fingers down and not giving them the best shot at fretting the notes.

I hope that this helps and I truly look forward to more. This is a great thread and you should be getting thanks from lots of beginners who are undoubtedly learning from it as well as being encouraged.

Peace

Posted : 04/11/2007 8:05 pm
Page 7 / 73