Clear all

Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.8 K Views
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Sorry - poor sound/video quality. Not to mention the poor singing and guitar playing, but that's what this thread is for :shock:

Hey Isabelle - - now that video is really cool. Love it love it love it. Now i am your biggest fan.... :wink:

Now, I'd like to think that I'm the king of the poor sound/video quality :evil: so you're going to have try a bit harder to get the DB seal of approval on that one!

I'm practicing my 'singing' with some tunes, but need to find one that will allow me a verse with each chord - got one lined up but still need to practice. I usually forget to change chords at the right place 'cos I'm thinking of the lyrics - I reckon it's a 'man' thing - can't do two things at the same time.

And we've got our very own DH looking at this thread - awesome... :shock:

Interesting about his comments of the fretting hand position - something I've been discussing in one of my threads....

Rock on

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 04/11/2007 10:23 pm
(@davidhodge)

And we've got our very own DH looking at this thread - awesome... :shock:

I do try to read them all. Not enough time in one's lifetime...

Nick does read them all, though, I think! :wink:

Peace

Posted : 04/11/2007 10:41 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Nice Isabelle!

You did a great job! I'm not a great singer and I don't sing when I play guitar because: 1- I'm not good, 2- I can't play guitar at the same time, too difficult!

So you reach a big step !

Now, I want to know, for my next video, should I post here or on the other thread of Stellaboo?

Tommorow I'll try to play Mary Jane Last Dance by Tom Petty. Still have to learn the solo :oops: So... See you tommorow!

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 04/11/2007 11:37 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hey thanks everyone. Posting a vid of me actually SINGING was a big one for me. I could never sing in tune, and I usually don't let anybody listen to my singing...

And David, Mr Hodge, Sir, very honoured. Thanks for your lessons on the main site, I'm sure they really are a great help to all wannabe guitarists out there. They certainly are for me. Thanks for the feedback and tips. I guess I need a bit more practice at getting my thumb in the right place (amongst other things). I take no credit for this thread though. DylanBarrett was the true inspiration for this :mrgreen:

Posted : 05/11/2007 5:12 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

8) WOW sounds like everyone is ready to busk .... next summer we take the world by storm! 8)

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 05/11/2007 7:50 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

:lol:

Posted : 05/11/2007 9:16 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi all fellow beginners....

I reckon a good game plan could be:

Beginner's Video thread for 12 months - then a promotion to Stella's Busking thread to continue your apprenticeship....

It's a thought :?: I know we're all going to continue learning and, hopefully improving, but what a fantastic legacy we would have left - an archive of dormant talent will lie in the vaults of Beginners Videos.

Isabelle - credit where credit is due...threads don't start by themselves....

Rock on all beginners...

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 06/11/2007 9:46 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I know we're all going to continue learning and, hopefully improving, but what a fantastic legacy we would have left - an archive of dormant talent will lie in the vaults of Beginners Videos.

Dylan - you just brought a tear to my eye :wink:

Posted : 06/11/2007 8:03 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I love this thread! 8)

Isabelle, kudos on singing & playing at the same time. You did a very good job. It took me years to be able to do that.

Keep it up everyone!

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 06/11/2007 11:02 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

RIght. I'm a bit stuck for ideas for the next song now :roll:

Any suggestions welcome. I'm up for a challenge :D

Posted : 08/11/2007 7:35 pm
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

Hi Isabelle, :D
how about 'Nothing Else Matters' by Metallica - I've been trying it for weeks, (since Stella put up her video) and have about the first 20 secs down if I play it VERY SLOWLY :shock: Great fingerpicking, hammer-ons and pull - offs, as well as practice for barres - and its such a great tune its easy to keep going back to it. I think it will be years til i learn to do it but just getting the intro will keep me happy for now..
Another great intro I tried after watching Clau's video was Stairway to Heaven - HOLY GOD! :oops: Fair play to you Clau(dine?) its really tricky and you did it so beautifully, look forward to seeing more of your stuff - It'll be a long while before I try that one again though!
Keep it up you lot, you'se are doing great!

Posted : 08/11/2007 10:29 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Another great intro I tried after watching Clau's video was Stairway to Heaven - HOLY GOD! :oops: Fair play to you Clau(dine?) its really tricky and you did it so beautifully, look forward to seeing more of your stuff - It'll be a long while before I try that one again though!
Keep it up you lot, you'se are doing great!

Hi Jenny! Yes my whole name is Claudine :wink:

Nice to hear that I've "inspired" you to play Stairway to heaven! Such a great song! It was hard when I started to learn it, but keep working, you'll get it :wink:

I wanted to upload a new video a couple of days ago, but I have too much thing to do for the University! :roll: But I keep practicing Mary Jane Last Dance by Tom Petty, should be the next song you could hear from me :)

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 09/11/2007 12:33 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

how about 'Nothing Else Matters' by Metallica - I've been trying it for weeks, (since Stella put up her video) and have about the first 20 secs down if I play it VERY SLOWLY :shock: Great fingerpicking, hammer-ons and pull - offs, as well as practice for barres -

You know, I read that, and I thought 'Oh yeah, great, Metallica, HERE I COME'.

But I just don't 'do' barres :(

Actually, I don't do hammer-ons and pull-offs either :lol:

Looks like I'm not ready for a 'challenge', I'll have to go back to the Easy Songs for Beginners section for a bit ;)

Posted : 09/11/2007 5:47 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

But I just don't 'do' barres :(

Actually, I don't do hammer-ons and pull-offs either :lol:

Yup, know just where you're coming from Isabelle...

I'm having real problems with my barre's - thought I'd cracked it one day, then the next...nada! I have a problem forming a single barre chord without even having to shift from a previous one. But, as it is said within these pages, barre chords open up a whole new musical sphere... (I made that up 'cos I couldn't remember the exact quote.. :roll: ).

We've both got to persevere and learn our barre's so we can play the bridge in REM's Everybody Hurts - then we can play the whole song...Practice, practice, practice.... :twisted:

Also, I know we keep coming back to this one, but Floyds WYWH is great to practice hammer-ons and pull-offs with a nice easy strumming bit to help us relax....

I'm bashing out a few Oasis songs at the moment and trying to find an alternative for a barre chord so I can post a vid. Just have a look through the 'easy' song list and pick something you like and have fun, but we really MUST practice barre's - there's four songs I can play but without the barre chords...they're nothing :(

Rock on..

D 8)

Posted : 09/11/2007 9:30 am
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

... er, I don't remember consciously doing any hammerons or pulloffs during Nothing Else Matters ... there is a slide - but they're fun! ...and give those of us playing acoustic something to do .
ummm :oops: I don't know if I will ever be able to barre 6 strings with my stubby little fingers; they are both stubby AND short, curse them - so I have been avoiding all that by barring the top 2 strings - or for G minor e.g. the top 3 strings - but regardless I play only the top 4 strings :evil: purists shoot me now :evil: otherwise "Guitar For Dummies' assures me that 1st position chords are THE way to go for fingerpicking as the open strings just naturally lend themselves to hammerons and pulloffs ... yeah okay .... that sounds good to me :twisted: I mean 8)
Which is still not a good excuse to transpose everything just in order to eliminate the dreaded F - so there it is - believe me, when I can finally master this one you guys will be the 1st to hear! 8)
Also Easy Songs whatever, I still like to go back and pick thru the lessons as it's getting easier and easier to understand the material even if my fingers won't keep up. I still like to go back to the Easy Songs I already know and see if I
a) can remember them well enough to play note-perfect on the 1st go and b) if I'm comfortable enough with the song to add a 'little somethin' of my own.

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 09/11/2007 7:29 pm
Page 8 / 73