Clear all

Blindman

27 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I may have been slightly over-ambitious with this one.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=225059

I think I've slightly over-done this song, I've got a lot of tracks on there and it's been a total ******* to line them all up correctly....I think the bass is a bit out, and the sound could do with re-mixing....

But what the hell, for better, for worse, here it is....I know I can do better, I will record it again, think of this as a rough demo......for now.....

PLEASE let me know what you think of the song......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 25/01/2007 11:33 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Geez, Vic. Just great. I love hearing someone sing/play with real conviction. Hats off. Fantastic lyrics!

Don

Posted : 26/01/2007 12:21 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

This is your original, right?

Love the guitar part. Really good song with some great potential.

Nice work, Vic!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 26/01/2007 2:17 am
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Love the vocal tone Vic. You've got a good story-teller voice when it's needed.

And it's a great story.

You might go from around 80bpm like you have it now to maybe 90-95 maybe.

Is that the Tele in the lead? Nice!

Posted : 26/01/2007 2:55 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

This is real good :D In fact I think this your best yet!!!Great demo..keep working on this :D --ken

BTW the recording is pretty good also, you seem to be getting a good handle on that too :wink:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 26/01/2007 6:28 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I really don't know what happened to this....

The bass was the last track I recorded, so when I'd finished, I made sure all the tracks were synchronised, then saved the file as a back-up copy....then I exported the whole thing as an MP3. When I played the MP3 back it sounded OK, so I uploaded it to Soundclick....when I played that back, the bass seemed slightly out. So I checked the MP3 again, now the bass sounded slightly off there as well....so I thought, I'm going to have to re-do the bass-line.

Sp I closed the MP3 and soundclick, went to the back-up file....there are two files,one labelled "Audacity Project File", the other with a .aup suffix....the computer won't let me open either of them, all I get is the following error message:

Can't open file CDocuments and SettingsVicDesktopBlindmantake6!_datab00248au (error2:the systemcannot find the file specified)

When I clicked on the link for details, that line was repeated about 15 times, with variations on the number....b00196, b00205 etc....

So somehow, the data file must have been corrupted....looks like I'll have to do the whole thing over again....and that song has taken up virtually my every waking hour for the last week..... :evil:

Oh well - I think I'll have a day off and have another go over the weekend.......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 26/01/2007 10:40 am
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Wow, sorry for your loss! Most music listeners don't have a clue how much work can go into a multitrack song - especially if it's overdubbed one track at a time. They figure a 5 minute song takes five minutes to record and think nothing more of it. But if it's an 8 track song for instance, that's at least 40 minutes of record time, barring redos or even figuring out each part to begin with.

And I redo things a lot as I'm writing them and trying them out. A bass track can take me a couple of hours, and then there's still the guitars and what not, so lots of times it comes out to at least an hour a track, so my five minute song is now taking 8 hours to track!

Ten songs per CD and we're talking 80 hours of work, at which point, at least with our last CD, I never wanted to hear those songs ever again, when it was finally mixed!

I'm thinking, from what you described, maybe (just maybe) it was when you saved the file as a backup, and then exported. Sometimes (in other programs at least) when you save under a different name, the program still holds the original document in front of you. Most programs don't; you save-as and the new document-name is on the top of the page. But if it doesn't, then when you exported it, it was exporting under the old name, and so the files got disassociated somehow.

Or, and we all know how computers can be, it just plain ol' got corrupted like you said.

I dunno; I'm going to be getting into computer recording more, but...I still like tape for certain things.

I feel your pain though Vic; it's like working a job somewhere and the contractor coming up when it's finished and saying, "Oh I thought you understood it was a non-paying job."

At least you got the mp3 to reference though :)

Posted : 26/01/2007 1:06 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Vic,

I had that same Audacity problem recently. In fact I posted about it under In the Studio. Didn't really come up with a way to recover the files, though.

It's a royal pain in the rear when that happens. :evil:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 26/01/2007 1:49 pm
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

keep with this you do have a good vocal there , guitar solo really nice...i would like to hear this with different backing, it does have a good feel ...smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 26/01/2007 4:58 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great vocal & guitar Vic! 8)

I really like the song. You've got a good one here. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 26/01/2007 8:01 pm
(@todds)
Eminent Member

I agree that it's a great job, but this sounds almost exactly like "If I Were A Carpenter" to me. Am I the only one? I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just don't want you getting sued.

Posted : 26/01/2007 8:48 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hmmm....I can see a resemblance, vaguely....doesn't help that each couplet begins "If I was...."

The version of "Carpenter" I know best is by The Four Tops, I've got it somewhere, I'll have to dig it out....

Vic

Posted : 26/01/2007 10:51 pm
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Dig the guitar work on this one. Are you just sliding up and down the neck with your finger, or are you using a slide? I really like that tele-sounding sliding.. nice job.

Kind of an abrupt ending though, no? Heh.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

Posted : 28/01/2007 8:49 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dig the guitar work on this one. Are you just sliding up and down the neck with your finger, or are you using a slide? I really like that tele-sounding sliding.. nice job.

Kind of an abrupt ending though, no? Heh.

Sliding up and down with my finger, and a lot of bends....

As for the ending, I haven't figured out how to fade a track yet....

Vic

Posted : 29/01/2007 2:02 am
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The way I fade in Audacity is to highlight from the point where I want the fade to start, all the way to the point where I want the song to end and then select Fade Out in the Effects menu. Sometimes I save the project with the fade, sometimes I don't save it with the fade included in case I want to go back and redo it.

Posted : 29/01/2007 2:24 am
Page 1 / 2