Notifications
Clear all

Blues improv in G

36 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@srv-fan68)
Eminent Member

Taso, that was awesome and inspiring all rolled up into one.

smokindog, Thanks for sharing the jam tracks link.

Posted : 07/10/2005 12:21 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks SRV-fan, havn't seen you before, glad you posted.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 09/10/2005 12:15 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter

lol, well, I hope 17 isn't considered too old :lol:

Smokin, I thought the songwriters forum was for lyrics?

I'm kind of getting stuck musically. I have a new song I'm working on, has kind of a jazzy sound (theres a thread about it in the guitar players forum, regarding two of the chords) ANYWAYS, I thought about posting it here and seeing what you guys think it needs, etc (aside from a bunch of minor stuff ie: no drummer, so timing is kind of shaky, wish I had a keyboard player and a bass player, lol, and some transistions between
the different parts) ASIDE from all that, I might want to hear suggestions.

But at the same time, I want my first song to be all me, you know? I don't want to have to think "I KIND OF wrote this on my own".

Maybe thats stupid.

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 09/10/2005 4:58 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Taso, maybe my way of writing songs helps:

1) Get Guitarpro or Powertab
2) write down your guitar part. Play around it and modify until you like it.
3) write a drum/bass part underneath. Doesn't need to be fancy.
4) Record your guitar playing together with the bass and drum, each it's own track in your recording program.
5) post it here and let some drummer and bassist replace the fake parts.

As for finishing a song, just try something. Come up with the best you've got, polish the song as good as you can without spending a year in a studio and move on. It's the actual process of writing a song from the first note to the last mix that gives experience: thinking for a decade whether to go with a G or G7 doesn't really get you anywhere. Since every next song will be better then the current you can also conclude that your current song will be worse then your next. Nothing you can do about it so don't worry if it ain't perfect.

Posted : 09/10/2005 10:58 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Posting it hear would be good, we could see what you have so far. are you writing lyrics to it :?: I sometimes find it easier to write lyrics before i do the chord progression and stuff-the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 09/10/2005 11:06 am
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

lol, well, I hope 17 isn't considered too old :lol:

Smokin, I thought the songwriters forum was for lyrics?

I'm kind of getting stuck musically. I have a new song I'm working on, has kind of a jazzy sound (theres a thread about it in the guitar players forum, regarding two of the chords) ANYWAYS, I thought about posting it here and seeing what you guys think it needs, etc (aside from a bunch of minor stuff ie: no drummer, so timing is kind of shaky, wish I had a keyboard player and a bass player, lol, and some transistions between
the different parts) ASIDE from all that, I might want to hear suggestions.

But at the same time, I want my first song to be all me, you know? I don't want to have to think "I KIND OF wrote this on my own".

Maybe thats stupid.

Taso

Suggestions never hurt. Vic suggested a change to the way I played the chorus on the song Smokin, Geoo and I collaborated on. The words and music were still mine. Vic just suggested something that really helped out. I didn't see it as anything but a suggestion, and the same thing a good band member would do if you brought the song into rehearsal one night.

I'm taking that one and the blues tune I wrote, to my friend Mike's next time we jam. I can guarantee he'll give me some ideas for leads, and solo's to play with. Regardless, it's still my song.

Suggestions are like advice and are a take it or leave it thing. Part of what I like about the SSG is that I can get a fresh set of eyes looking at what I'm trying to do. As, writers, all of us tend to become trapped by our own creations, or we have blocks, and can't see what it is we're after because we are too close to what we are trying to do.

Most times the suggestions don't amount to anything. Once in awhile though somebody points out the one thing that takes a good song and makes it great.

Sorry, not trying to change your mind. Mostly thinking out loud. :wink:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

Posted : 09/10/2005 1:35 pm
Page 3 / 3