Butchering comfortably numb

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

http://www.box.net/shared/qnwov3lwk8

I'm trying to play around with some settings on the GT8 while making use of the Epi Valve Junior. Any comments on the sound are much appreciated. It's played on a RG550 straight into the GT8 with in the loop an 31band EQ going into the EVj back into the GT8. The playing is obviously improv, sorry for the diehard Gilmour fans. :P

Posted : 18/01/2008 7:54 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

That is DEFINITELY my favorite song from you, Ignar.
Awesome bass.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 18/01/2008 9:17 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ouch...

Posted : 18/01/2008 9:33 pm
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Arjen,

I like the tone... maybe back off the reverb/delay just a smidge? (that's a tiny bit) :)

Also, what're you using for your "OUTPUT" setting? There's are a few and they do make a difference.

Are you recording with a Mic or direct from the GT-8?

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 18/01/2008 10:19 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds really good Arjen.

Are you using the pre-amp on the GT-8? I have the GT-6, and when I use it with my EpiVJ, I don't like the sound of the pre-amp.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 19/01/2008 4:08 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dan: sure am, I love the preamp models. It takes some tweaking, and just like on the GT6 the EQ settings will make or break the sound. I have the EVJ on 50% and keep the gain on the GT8 always below 50%. High gain settings always tend to be buzzy and fuzzy which I cant stand at all.

Dagwood: yeah, on second though there is a LOT of verb/delay going on. I'm using the line/headphone settings and go straight into the mixer. My behringer mic/preamp are way too noise to record the sound without making the mix very hard. I'm really happy with the low-noise of the GT8 (whatever noise you hear is from the EVJ!) but sometimes I feel the sound misses some balls or something. :?

Posted : 19/01/2008 4:51 pm
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

Excellent stuff! One of my favourite songs! :D

I actually think the effects suits the song actually . . . . the video for Comfortably Numb is quite "other worldly" and I think bags of deley/reverb etc. along with that smooth distortion add to the atmosphere. :)

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

Posted : 19/01/2008 10:35 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Is there any way you could make available (give me) the bass and drum tracks recorded so that I could play the melody?
That would be so awesome.
My friends would totally freak out if I played that with the background (drums and bass).
I think I could work out the melody on my own, but if I found that tabs that would be so much easier.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 20/01/2008 2:39 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ken: you can download the backing here. You can find plenty of tabs for the original track, I cant link to them because I dont know which one is correct and which ones ain't. Or just go the wanker-way like I did and noodle in Bm-pentatonic. :lol:

Posted : 20/01/2008 3:01 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

That didn't work, Ignar.
I got this message "PHP has encountered an Access Violation at 01C4F5E0"
I'll try again later.
Thanks

Posted : 20/01/2008 3:11 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hmm, their entire site seems to be down. Strange. Try this: http://www.box.net/shared/t7c54xcsgg

Posted : 20/01/2008 3:29 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Oh, that is just way too cool.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Wooohoooo!
I am going to have fun with this!
Thank you so much.

Posted : 20/01/2008 4:21 pm
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Here's more BT's for your fancy :)

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=64

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 20/01/2008 4:24 pm