20 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Hi all,

Some weeks ago, I asked in the Bass Players Forum for the advantages of a bass for a guitar player (really an apprentice of guitar player). The answers were all very positive so I started the search for a bass. After several visits to the music stores I bought a Squier Jazz Bass on Friday.

The initial idea was to upload some soundclips. I started playing some riffs and arpeggios this afternoon using several pickups combinations. The test recording was evolving and it finished as something similar to a cover with something similar to an improvisation in the middle. It has a lot of mistakes. I should improve my technique and also fix some parts before posting it but as I said I'd want to upload the soundclips as soon as possible.

This is the link to the recording: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6834289

As usual, all kind of comments and advices and are welcome. I will be working on it the next days.

Thanks in advance. And sorry for the mistakes! :oops:

Posted : 24/08/2008 8:52 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Stand by me !!! :D

Nice mix. And your bass playing is good. Keep practicing.

Posted : 24/08/2008 9:30 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Mistakes?
Sounds good to me.
A favorite of mine. Ben E. King
Used in a lot of movies to bring back that 1960's era.
Written for the Drifters. They turned it down.
He recorded because he finished a recording session early and had time to spare.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 24/08/2008 9:39 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys! :D

I play a couple of incorrect notes in the first part of the improvisation. Really I don't know what notes I was playing but when I picked the guitar for recording the strumming part they didn't sound well. I had to record the guitar first and then the lead track but as I said it was a test.

Posted : 24/08/2008 10:02 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

aw, my favorite Ben E King song. nice playing. your guitar sounds good.
is this the beginning of a beautiful relationship?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 25/08/2008 12:42 am
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Nuno, very impressive!

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

Posted : 25/08/2008 2:19 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

is this the beginning of a beautiful relationship?
:D

I think so. I must stretch my fingers on my left hand and practice the two fingers picking. I must get used to those thick strings. I must learn and review some theory as well. And refresh my reading in F clef. So, I must learn to play bass.

Meanwhile I am enjoying a lot!
Nuno, very impressive!
It is an easy bass line. The solo was slightly tricky. The strings are far one each other and, moreover, I don't see the notes on the fretboard so well, I miss the other two strings!

For the solo I used the bridge pickup, the tone is completely open. For the bass line I used the middle pickup and I closed the tone. I also used two different eq profiles.

Thanks guys! :D

Posted : 25/08/2008 9:52 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Nuno ...

Man you rock dude ..Awesome

Mistakes ? I didn't hear any ...

wow ....Wish I could do that man

Congrats

Trev... :note1:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 25/08/2008 11:37 am
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Nice job, Nuno!
Love the sustain of the last note/s... 8)
:)

Don

Posted : 25/08/2008 11:44 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Very nice indeed. The mix was a bit low. (though it may have just been my volume, I'm at work.)
Good job. Was that the first time on the bass for you?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 25/08/2008 6:25 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Was that the first time on the bass for you?
Yes, I bought it on Friday afternoon. I think I must practice a little bit before the next recording. The strings are much thicker than the guitar and the action is higher, too. In fact, it was very funny when I pick my Strat for the strumming. It seemed an Ibanez for shredders!

Yesterday I used headphones for the mix but today I was in another computer and I also think the drums are loud. I will verify it for the final version. Thanks!

Trevor: if I can do it, you also can do it! The song is very easy!

Boxboy: I left that the note decayed. When I was mixing, I had to reduce the track volume because it was one measure longer than the other tracks.

Thank you very much! :D

Posted : 25/08/2008 8:33 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it is so cool that you are getting into bass. the strings feel enormous. the scale length is longer too, I think.
the strings are so long its like skipping rope.
four strings. so much fun to figure out those notes and runs, etc.
going back and forth with standard six string guitar the brain gets all excited with learning.
I understand my regular guitar more now that i have played on a bass.
add to that the lap steel open tunings.
sometimes it all gels and good stuff happens. :note2:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 25/08/2008 11:44 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

The first thing I noticed was the strings thickness but also the neck length! Usually the basses that I was playing were out of tune. When I tuned them practically I had to stretch my arm completely to reach the tuning machines, mainly the G string in basses with the classical heads like Fender.

sometimes it all gels and good stuff happens.
You always get good stuff! :D

Posted : 26/08/2008 9:54 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

The first thing I noticed was the strings thickness but also the neck length! Usually the basses that I was playing were out of tune. When I tuned them practically I had to stretch my arm completely to reach the tuning machines, mainly the G string in basses with the classical heads like Fender.

I played bass at a recent jam session and thought the same. Totally different animal! Like dog mentioned, I could not get used to the scale length quickly. But, had a great time anyway.

Hope you enjoy your new toy!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 26/08/2008 12:42 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Hi again,

I recorded again the basic tracks with the bass, I did them longer. I also added some new ones. Just experimenting and remembering some old things I learned several years ago. Also I added guitars.

I fixed those wrong notes and also adjusted the track volumes. I was also playing with the panning. I don't know if the final mix is correct.

Anyway, the song: (Stand) by me.

I hope you like this new version.

Thanks.

Posted : 06/09/2008 9:20 pm
Page 1 / 2