Skip to content
Cover - Suffocating...

Notifications
Clear all

Cover - Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow - please CRIT!

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi guys - it's been a while since I posted, but it's been a busy year so far.....anyway, this is a cover of "Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow" by Bullet for my Valentine. It's a rough mix that I just finished recording.

I used a backing track from Total Guitar Magazine - I added all guitar parts, including the 2nd guitar which is partially on the backing track.

This was a hard song for me because this is not a style of music I usually play - I never heard of the band until I read the magazine and heard the track, but thought the harmonized guitar parts were pretty cool.

For those that know the song, I did wimp out on the solo - can't do the tapping stuff, so I changed it.......

Any comments are welcome - advise on the playing, tone, mixing, etc. all appreciated...I used my Ibanez Artist going directly into a GT-6 and my computer using Sonar....

http://nottheguy.dmusic.com/

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

Posted : 17/04/2006 10:04 pm
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I can only say, VERY GOOD indeed.
As I don´t know the original song I cant hear any flaws...

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

Posted : 18/04/2006 6:48 am
(@floydthegolfer)
Estimable Member

whoo! I've just started getting into this band and thats a really cool cover! Very nicely played

"You got the heart kid... but you don't got the tools no more....."
"DRAGOOO!!!!!!!!"

Posted : 13/05/2006 1:42 pm
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

On Ten Years Gone, what is that second chord you play right before the distorted riff? Right after the A...some kind of D I assume?

Posted : 13/05/2006 2:38 pm
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

After the A - I'm not sure what its called, but its

2 -4th finger
1 -2nd fingere
2 -3rd finger
1 -1st finger
x
x

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

Posted : 13/05/2006 8:08 pm
(@davidhodge)

That's a diminished seventh chord. You could call it by any of the notes in it, but I think most folks would think of it as a Cdim7 or, in this case, Adim7. Very cool chord.

Peace

Posted : 13/05/2006 8:15 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

David,

You're right, you're not the guy, you're the man! :D 8)

That rocked!! Too cool! 8) 8)

Hey, I listened to Ten Years Gone also, (one of my favorite songs), and I only have one complaint: it's too short! Good job there too. :D

I like your tone. I have a GT-6 also, but have to mic my amp, as I can't get my computer to record through the line in on my sound card.

Great job! Hope to hear more soon. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 13/05/2006 9:45 pm
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

I've been playing that song with a D in that place and it never sounded quite right. Much better now, thanks.

Like dntalb said, you rocked that solo.

Posted : 13/05/2006 10:20 pm
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys - I'm just an old fart who loves to play.......

Posted : 14/05/2006 4:02 am