Skip to content
don't use other peo...

Notifications
Clear all

don't use other people's guitars at your first gig!

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

wow. playing a guitar for the first time in front of a crowd of people where you're trying to remember lyrics and your mind is racing is tough. it's even worse if the neck is thick and slippery and the response is trebly and the body type is larger and the strings are lighter and your playing is intricate and dependant on the guitar... it was tough, man. i'm so used to my guitar and feel so at home on it, i felt like i was ice skating on this thing. plus, it was my first gig so i had jitters anyway. here's some clips i'm spamming http://www.soundclick.com/cravingsfriday13th2008
i'm not sure whether to be proud or embarrassed.

Posted : 15/06/2008 6:51 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I won't mind using as long as it is a lefty.

Posted : 15/06/2008 8:21 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'm with you Jason. I'm not playing out but I never like playing someone else's guitar. It always feels like a foreign object.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 16/06/2008 3:38 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

You still sound better (nerves, borrowed guitar and all) than I do in the comfort of my home, with my own guitar.

Well done.
The next gig will be easier, or at least no first time jitters.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 16/06/2008 8:35 pm
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I have had this happen to me too . If you are going to play someone else's instrument , it helps if it is similar in neck size and scale . I usually play a Gibson LP . One time I tried a Squier Strat model and had lots of problems with it (my fault , not the guitar's) . But when I played an LP knock-off I had no problems whatsoever . Ditto with an SG copy . In the future , I would suggest you practice with the instrument you're going to play a little before the gig .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

Posted : 16/06/2008 10:15 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I hate playing strange gear too ... but hey ... that didn't sound half bad. 8) Why didn't you have your guitar?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 18/06/2008 2:08 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm far beyond a first gig -- which was at a county fair at age 16, but I can understand that sentiment for a new player. One should reduce the number of distractions, unless they help distract from stage fright.

These many years later, I welcome the chance to play someone elses guitar, even at a gig. Different feeling/sounding guitars help fuel creativity, and sometimes I find myself doing something new on an unfamiliar instrument.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 18/06/2008 3:27 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

it doesn't have a pickup. i have a dean markley somewhere, but i'm not sure where and i think it's broken.

Posted : 18/06/2008 3:28 pm
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

When playing in public I take every precaution to make sure everything is familiar. Not only can I not pick up some else's guitar--I can't even comfortably use one of my own guitars if I haven't worked up the song on that guitar. I'm sensitive to unusual circumstances, I guess!

This has been on my mind lately, as I recently discovered what causes me to play much worse at band practice than I do when practicing by myself. You see, when I practice alone, I always sit down, but when I play with the band, I stand. Now bear in mind that I'm not a very accomplished guitarist. But the fact is, if I practice standing up, when the band comes over I play a lot better. :shock: Go figure!

Posted : 18/06/2008 5:08 pm
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

Sounded good to me man, but I guess we are our own worst critics... Congrats on your first gig, lets hope its one of many!

Despite the problems with unfamiliar guitars, did you enjoy it?

Nath

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

Posted : 18/06/2008 8:47 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

i don't know. many different thoughts and emotions about it. can't say i enjoyed it per se, as there were parts i was proud of and things i need to work on and things i liked and didn't like that were out of my control.

Posted : 19/06/2008 7:36 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Good for you man. I've been telling myself the lamest excuses for not going out and play my own music just because I just don't have the balls to do it. I did have a few gigs with a band I was in some years ago and I hear you about the 'out of control' things. It stinks but you still managed to put out an enjoyable show, even if only for the audience and not yourself.

Posted : 19/06/2008 11:36 am