Clear all

Down By The River - Neil Young "cover"

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I've strayed away from my cowboy strumming ways for a little while. New technical capabilities here in the home "studio" opened up a whole new world of guitar for me. A lot of firsts this week. My first recorded lead, my first multi-track recording and my first ability to record straight into the system without use of a mic.

I am TOTALLY new to any sort of lead, and due to the ear issues, can't even hear what I've done (except for as low as I can make the amp go) until playback. What we hear in the recording is not what I hear while recording. I get to hear a very low and muffled version of what gets output to the PC. In short, it's like turning on some rock & roll at low volume. You can hear and tell the lead guitar tone. It's a tone I was not able to get out of my amp at very low volumes. Gotta like it! Beats the heck out of not being able to do it at all.

So anyhow, lots of firsts here for me. Some of it works, some of it doesn't. Lemme know what you think works, and what doesn't.....although lots of the things that don't work are quite obvious. I am so new at this lead stuff. I did both the rhythm and lead tracks through my GT-10. Both tracks are second takes. Even with low volumes, I'm at about all I can handle for the afternoon.

"Down By The River" written by Neil Young and made to sound horrible by yours truly. http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7873086

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 24/07/2009 6:24 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Not Bad Roy,

Your timing seemed a bit off at first but that seemed to clear up
by the end. Nice tone and some very appropriate Nielish licks.

Keep On Rockin'

:note1: :note1: :note1:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 24/07/2009 7:45 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Way to go, Roy.
I'm going to come to you for advice if I ever decide to record.
Right now I'm just using the built-in webcam on my laptop . . . which is good enough for now.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 24/07/2009 9:17 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I think a lot of what Wes Inman and others have told me/us in the past about soloing or playing lead kind of clicked today or this week. I've saved off quite a bit of text that I'm going to go back and re-read tomorrow. I knew what I was supposed to do, but I could never feel it in my fingers before. I think getting to be able to play some sustainable lead tones was the final trigger. Now it's on to years of learning what works and doesn't work.
Your timing seemed a bit off at first but that seemed to clear up

A bit off was an understatement. I know what part of it is. I found myself in the wrong part of a phrase at the wrong time on numerous occasions. Something clicked when I read what you said, though. The beginning and the end of a phrase seems like it was more important than what I had in the middle. I think someone actually said something about that in a thread at some point. Also, I did get lost a time or two.....or 20.

I gave it a listen later on and tried out another song in this style. (Never Been To Spain) It too was rough in the beginning timing-wise. I found myself doing shorter phrases, but they were not rushed and MUCH smoother. On top of that, I found myself following the melody line of the song at times. It was not intentional. I just stumbled upon it quite by accident and liked it. After a listen, I was really surprised at how much I had aligned to the song.
I'm going to come to you for advice if I ever decide to record.

I went to some really simple hook-ups and was quite shocked that it worked. So much for more advanced technology. :mrgreen: Thanks though. It's been fun learning this so far. A lot of what dogbite has said to me in past recordings kind of sunk in. Things like needing to REALLY know the song. Heck, it was my own rhythm guitar and I still got lost on occasion. :oops:

Tomorrow is another day. I need to go buy one more cable and I'll be able to get some drum/bass/piano tracks into the mix from Guitar Pro files. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 25/07/2009 1:14 am
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hey Roy - always been one of my favorite songs by a hometown boy. :lol:

You got a really haunting mix and a great, must say haunting (again) sort of sound going on there.

You could bring up the volume of the rhythm a little more... it was especially good, and well timed there in the background.

I don't claim to play well, have no recording gear either, but just encourage you, and say "feel the lead" and don't let concentration take you away?

I admit I don't know you or your work, read your profile at least, but I spent lots of time being asked to critique others in the past with demos sent my way for maybe a 45 second listen?

You're good, got a natural talent lying in there, and I'm still wonderin' if you would just relax, I know you enjoy it, so don't need to try as hard for either the pick attack/inflection or timing of the lead. Let it flow.

I enjoyed it. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 25/07/2009 4:07 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

congrats on the start of multi tracking. fun stuff.
I have found it improves my playing.

the tone is good. the timing is whack, but that's just a volume/hearing issue.
you are spot on at times so I believe you have 'feel' and a sense of time and expression.
your leads is youthful. i was going to say young.
I hear the typical two note thing and the partial bend.
vibrato is excellent.
a great song. you did pretty good for first out.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 25/07/2009 11:41 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Guys, thanks for the kind words, suggestions, pointing out areas of improvements and all around encouragement.

So far I've learned:
#1: Timing is essential. Begin and end phrases in proper timing with the song. Also, fills need to start and stop (or fade out) accordingly. (learned that one doing "Never Been To Spain" later on)
#2: You can switch keys. (went from Em to Am pent scale in this recording)
#3: Less is more.....especially at this stage.
#4: Less also gives you time to think about and do some bends, slides and vibrato.
#5: Practicing your scales helps out a lot. Now I'm inspired to expand.
#6: Starting and Stopping points (notes) are really important in phrasing.
#7: Play to the song, not the scale you're in.

All stuff that's been said before. Just being able to do it finally really connects things togther for me. I did comfortably Numb earlier this week as the first real experiment. Well, 1/2 the song. Up until the 2nd verse. Did the solo in Bm and REALLY kept it simple. Going back and listening to it now, I can hear the things that really worked. All simple stuff, and all music. (Oh, and I did a soft voiced vocal for it. That's actually a 3 track recording :) )

"Never Been To Spain" got good once I started getting into the groove of the song instead of mindless up & downs on the scales.

Roy

Posted : 25/07/2009 3:17 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Glad to hear you getting into soloing & multi-tracking Roy. Good job. Keep at it! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 25/07/2009 6:49 pm