Notifications
Clear all

Drummer needs advice from guitarists

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rynomite69)
Topic starter

I am considering a change in my cymbal lineup and I was wondering if you guys prefer to play along with a drummer using a medium pitched ride with lots of ping and stick definition, or a low pitched ride with low bell and low crash. This will be for a Texas Blues band. Stage is basically the drums unmiked, Fender Vibro King cranked, bass combo cranked, decent P.A. too. If you were me would you keep the current ride or get the low pitched one? sound link below - be sure to view in HD for more accurate sound.

Please don't judge by the solo, only the tones of the two rides....which would blend better? more musical?

My Ride - I don't touch the ride until about 0:50sec and I'm playing quiet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1T4mXSJqhg
The Ride in Question - he plays loud and quiet throughout
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4cQclvwfoA

Posted : 18/12/2010 12:03 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i like the sound you're getting from your ride. it's very musical and responsive in pitch. it doesn't look like the one in the ad clip has that quality, and i'm not sure i like the tone of it.

Posted : 18/12/2010 1:25 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I'm with Jason.
as much as I hate to put the brakes on someone else's GASsing, I think your ride (the way you were playing it, anyway) sounded warmer than the Zildjan in the other demo.
I know that the K series are generally considered to be top end cymbals, but I wasn't impressed with that particular clip.

Paging Bish... we could use your expertise over here :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 19/12/2010 4:23 am
(@rynomite69)
Topic starter

scratch my video ... i'm going to post another one that is more comparative to the playing in the sale ad. This way we can get a much better comparison.

Posted : 19/12/2010 3:30 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Hey, who's looking on while you're playing? :lol:
Is that a cockatiel? Beautiful bird.
:)

Don

Posted : 19/12/2010 4:31 pm
(@rynomite69)
Topic starter

Ok here is a better look - tried to start like the other guy

My Ride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxCUM2RBbXI
The Other Ride again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4cQclvwfoA

Posted : 20/12/2010 5:10 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I'm with Jason.
as much as I hate to put the brakes on someone else's GASsing, I think your ride (the way you were playing it, anyway) sounded warmer than the Zildjan in the other demo.
I know that the K series are generally considered to be top end cymbals, but I wasn't impressed with that particular clip.

Paging Bish... we could use your expertise over here :wink:
:lol: I just saw this. Thanks, kent!

Hi, rynomite.

I guess my stance is you are going to shell out $300 + for a new ride. You live with it for 10-20 years. The band, 3-5. You have the ultimate say in what you should spend that money on since you will use it for any variety of situations over the next 20 years.

I'm on both sides of the player platform. I've been drumming 30 + years and really concentrating on guitar for the past 5. I kow when I'm on stage as the guitarist, I don't particularly listen for the ride like I do as the one playing it. I can't speak for all guitarists and maybe it's because I'm still heavily learning guitar, but I almost tune out the drums and focus on bass and the other guitarst or keyboard more for the tuning and correct chording of the song so I don't really think the other members are really that concerned with how your ride sounds. They will accept what you bring and trust your judgement first and foremost.

Good luck with whatever choice you make. Make yourself happy first! Happy New Year!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 01/01/2011 2:03 am