Clear all

Finally something by ear!

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I finally got something down by ear...I think, sounds really close.

I wasn't happy with the TAB for If I Had $1,000,000, so I figured I should see what I can do with it...wow!! It actually sounds pretty good!

LOL!

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn58/jhempel24/?action=view&current=MillionDollars.flv

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 18/09/2009 3:58 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Very Kool man

Great tone in that guitar ...

I like what you played , well done

Trev..

P.S
I wish I could grow a beard like that :D

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 21/09/2009 2:09 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Sounds good, Joe.
I'm not familiar with Bare Naked Ladies . . . I've just heard of them recently . . . with regards to entertainment on a cruise ship . . . (along with Emmy Lou Harris)

I have a question for you.
That was a classical guitar, right? It has the wider fretboard (and string spacing) than a regular acoustic or electric.
Is that why you chose to play the classical guitar . . . because of the wider neck?
And how difficult is it for you to switch to an electric guitar with the standard spacing between strings?

As you know I'm still trying to find out if I would prefer a classical guitar . . . because I'm more interested in finger picking type of playing.
Have you tried classical guitars with steel strings? I believe they're called 'folk guitars'? They don't seem to be very common.
If so, what do you think of them?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 21/09/2009 11:11 am
(@eyeplayguitar)
Trusted Member

Good job man, I'm looking forward to the day when I can play songs by ear. My one experienced friend keeps telling me that the day you know what the note is going to sound like before you play it is one of your best days as a guitarist :lol:

Find Guitar Teachers

Posted : 21/09/2009 12:06 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys!
That was a classical guitar, right?

Nope that was my Ibanez EWQMENT20 Acoustic/Electric, although I DO have an Ibanez Classical, that was the Maple Acoustic.

I picked the Ibanez classical because it's got a thinner neck than most so I can get my hands around it, but it's still wider than an acoustic.
And how difficult is it for you to switch to an electric guitar with the standard spacing between strings?

It's not that difficult actually, kind of weird to say, but it just takes about a 2 minute adjustment like going from my travel guitar back to my acoustic, then my fingers remember what do to.
Have you tried classical guitars with steel strings? I believe they're called 'folk guitars'? They don't seem to be very common.

I've got to say I've never seen one of those, sorry.
Good job man, I'm looking forward to the day when I can play songs by ear. My one experienced friend keeps telling me that the day you know what the note is going to sound like before you play it is one of your best days as a guitarist

LOL, I wouldn't say I can play by ear, but I love the Barenaked Ladies so I've heard this song so much that it was pretty easy for me to pick out from remembering concerts and stuff from back in the day, plus some youtube videos. I've been playing it alot because a.) I figured it out for the most part, so it makes me happy b.) I love the way it sounds c.) I'm doing a video lesson on it, so I want to get it down before I do it. Ever since I started adding graphics to my youtube stuff it's been taking off and I've got a ton of requests to fill. It does feel good to have people ask you how to do stuff or "hey can you teach me this?" even after only about 22 months.

Posted : 22/09/2009 3:35 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Joe

Thanks for posting that. I've been using this song to hone my flat-picking skills... :lol: :roll: and trying to integrate the little riff - bloody hopeless I have to say, but I like the tune and groan along to it as I strum... and I'm still getting used to using one of those plastic things!

Interesting what KR2 was saying about the different types of guitar - maybe I need to get a 'folk' guitar because I do have problems muting strings - not by much, but enough to be annoying. Maybe I need a wider fretboard. Hmmmm.

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 22/09/2009 8:08 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Dylan, here is a tab that I wrote for the intro:
It SHOULD BE something like this:CAPO 2 and you'll need to listen to get the rhythm, I posted a video in the main forum.

e-------------3-----------2----2-2-2---3-3--3-3---3-3
b-------------3-----------3----3-3-3---3-3--3-3---3-3
G-------------0-----------2----2-2-2---0-0--0-0---0-0
D----0---0----0------0----0---0-0-0----0----------0--
A----0---0----2--0h2---0-------------3----------3----
E---00--22--3------------------------------3----------

Then repeat again until you you to the ^ (above) just play that chord a couple times then

b--0h1p0---------
G--------2-0-----0
D-------------2---

Hopefully this helps a bit.

It's a great song, I'll have a lesson up for it on my youtube page this time tomrrow.

Posted : 22/09/2009 8:12 am