First recording/improv attempt

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Please give me your comments; it is very rough and rather long. In key of G major.

http://vinkjam.dmusic.com/

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

Posted : 27/03/2006 7:06 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I think overall it's pretty good. A few stray notes here and there, but so what. :wink: Your tempo was prety good, and I love those drums! 8) What did you use?

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 28/03/2006 2:31 am
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I think overall it's pretty good. A few stray notes here and there, but so what. :wink: Your tempo was prety good, and I love those drums! 8) What did you use?

Dan

Thanks! My timing is not that great, I am really glad to hear that the tempo was pretty good. I would love to hear what I could have done better..one of the things I am trying to learn is hear the chords and try to resolve to one of the notes of the chord with each change, but I know I didn't even get close on that.

For the drums, I used a Midi loop that came with Ableton Live Lite, which is what I used to record. I played the midi loop through a software VST drum synthesizer tht came with Live Lite called "Impulse".

--vink

Posted : 28/03/2006 5:45 am
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Not bad at all for a first try.
And your idea of timing the solo tones with chord changes is right.

Wes Ingman gave this advice that I find very good:

A method I learned years ago is called target notes. You "target" certain notes that give a chord it's distinctive sound or flavor.
For instance:
E Major Chord= E, G#, and B (the 1st, 3rd, and 5th tones)
E Minor Chord= E, G, and B (the 1st, flatted 3rd, and 5th tones)

So what you do is make sure to hit the distinctive note. If you are playing over an E Major chord, make sure to play the G# note. It is especially good to start or end a phrase on this note. But you can put it anywhere.

If you are playing over an E Minor chord, you want to include the G note in your phrase.
So, determine that distinctive target note. For a Major chord it is the 3rd tone. For a Minor chord it is the flatted 3rd tone. For a 7th chord it is the flatted 7th tone. For a 9th chord it is the 9th tone.

If you were playing over an E Minor 7th chord, it is good to include both the G note (flatted 3rd) and the D note (flatted 7th).

Believe it or not, when you solo like this you can actually hear the chord progression, even if there is no rhythm guitar. The distinctive target notes will make the listener hear the chords.
This method really works and will add tremendous color to your solos. Try it.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

Posted : 28/03/2006 6:31 am
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Kalle,

Thanks for listening and the quote from Wes. I think I have seen it before, but it did not really stick in my mind until you pointed it out. I have been trying to hit the root note, but I can see how hitting the third would be really interesting, because it will also help resolve the minor/major feel. I will try to do more of that.

I have another one cooking .. I better watch out, maybe this can get addictive :-)

--vink

Posted : 28/03/2006 4:43 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

nice job vink

not much to say that's bad really, other than what's already been said. I found it relaxing, it replayed at least 5 times while I was sitting here, very soothing. For an improvisation, it has a lot of structure.

Beautiful stuff !

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 29/03/2006 1:13 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Vink,

I especially liked when you played the chords. That filled nicely.

Like Taso said, I agree it's relaxing.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 29/03/2006 1:28 am
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I found it relaxing, it replayed at least 5 times while I was sitting here, very soothing.

Wow, if you could actually listen to it multiple times, that's great! Very encouraging...

Thanks to both you and bish for listening!

(PS. I had worked on a little melodic piece, which is the first couple of bars, and I kept going back to that every once in a while. That's probably where the structure came from.)

--vink

Posted : 29/03/2006 1:46 am