Clear all

First Recording

37 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Here is my first recording, its the first 30 secs or so of Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. Don't expect too much. I've only been playing for 2 months. Any feedback, would be greatly appreciated. Sorry its only 30 seconds but I hope you can get some advice for me from it.

http://owa.dmusic.com/

Posted : 06/10/2005 6:42 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hey, congrats on getting it posted.

I think you got a good shot at the tempo. Especially for just 2 months of playing.

You may have the input set too high for recording so it makes it sound like your may be picking a little too hard. If it is not the input volume then just lighten up on the picking just a little. Keep at it I think you are headed in the right direction.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 06/10/2005 7:17 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Ditto what Nils said and welcome to the wonderful world of recording. :D I wish I had recorded myself when I was two months into it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 06/10/2005 7:35 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Glad you got a recording up.

You got the rhythm pretty well down, and with this song that's kind of tough, so that's good.

Are you playing the chords as full barre chords?

Also, how are you playing the percussive parts, the parts with the dead strings? Are you lightly pressing down on them with your left hand, or muting them with your palm on your picking hand?

You're on the right track, if you can answer those questions it might be easier to give tips and such :)

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 06/10/2005 8:54 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The chords are just power chords so I guess I'm not not using barre chords.
And I'm muting the strings with my left hand by touching them.

Posted : 06/10/2005 9:06 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You should be playing power chords......

e------------------------------------
a-----------------------------------
d-------------3-3---x--------------6-6--
g--3-3-3-xxxx-3-3---x---6-6-6-xxxx-6-6--
b--3-3-3-xxxx-1-1---x---6-6-6-xxxx-4-4--
E--1-1-1-xxxx-------x---4-4-4-xxxx------
---d-u-d-udud-u-d---u----same here too

It sounds like you are just hitting the bass notes, not an issue and easy to fix. You are doing good.

If you like, I can post a sound clip of it slow and one at normal speed?

If I can help in anyway, let me know.

Mike

Posted : 06/10/2005 9:13 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, that's a good tab right there.

You are doing the muting the right way as well, which is a good thing.

Could it be possible that your guitar is a LITTLE out of tune? Or maybe, because power chords are quite difficult, especially if you've only been playing for two months, you are putting too much pressure on the strings, so much that it is putting them out of tune a little bit?

Posted : 06/10/2005 9:42 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

This is what I was playing:

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------3--3--0----------------------6--6--0----------|
|---3--3--3--x-x-x-x---3--3--0---6--6--6--x-x-x-x---6--6--0----------|
|---3--3--3--x-x-x-x---1--1--0---6--6--6--x-x-x-x---4--4--0----------|
|---1--1--1--x-x-x-x-------------4--4--4--x-x-x-x---------------------|

I can tell you that the low E string was dropped to D. I forgot I had it in that tuning so I didn't put it back to standard. I don't think I'm pressing down on the strings too hard. At least not while I play this. When I practice chords, I tend to do it.

And Tracker, posting a clip of you playing it would be helpful. I'd appreciate that. If possible, could you play it using the tab I just posted? Unless that's the wrong tab.

Posted : 06/10/2005 10:59 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

WELL! haha
That definitly explains it.

Re-record it, with the right tuning. The D tuning messes it up.

The tab you have is fine.

Posted : 06/10/2005 11:09 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I played it nice and slow so you can get a feel for it.

SLTS

I also played it "clean" so you can hear everything.

The song is in drop D, but I play it in Eb.

OH, Your tab is correct. Mine said to mute "x" inbetween the second and third chord change, but it IS played "open". Sorry about that!

Mike

EDIT-

It was hard not to play it fast, so sorry if I played it to fast.

Posted : 06/10/2005 11:18 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

you sure the song isn't in standard tuning?

Posted : 06/10/2005 11:37 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

you sure the song isn't in standard tuning?

Put it this way, I can't think of any that aren't in drop D.

Posted : 06/10/2005 11:46 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I re-recorded in standard tuning. Nice recording Tracker. The strumming pattern makes a huge difference. I'll have to work that in.

Posted : 07/10/2005 12:02 am
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I believe you are getting there. The new one sounds much better and cleaner. I think you are still doing pretty good on the timing and that will get even better with time. The only suggestion I have is to work on consistency on hitting the strings the same each time. I am not sure how to explain that but sometimes it seems like you are just hitting the bass string and sometimes a little too hard. But, you seem to be hitting it right more than wrong. Does that make sense?

Your muted strums sounded pretty good to.

And you snuck in another song on the DMusic site now didn't ya? That is actually a good exercise for picking to.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 07/10/2005 12:24 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the help and feedback everyone. I think my problem is, I hit the bass string, it takes most of the energy from my strum so when I hit the next, there isn't much left. That make sense to anyone?
And you snuck in another song on the DMusic site now didn't ya? That is actually a good exercise for picking to.

The song I snuck on is good to practice picking?

Posted : 07/10/2005 12:31 am
Page 1 / 3