Clear all

GnR Patience + Floyd Anybody Out There

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Heres my first full attempt at Patience warts and all. The main solo I've barely played through twice before recording, and it shows. The words are not 100% as I got distracted listening to my own mistakes. I'm pathetic at using a metronome so its without, and due to that the tracks sometimes aren't 100% in time with one another. I've also botched up the whistling (just cant do it!) and the second half of the main solo. It still gives me a warm feeling knowing I can play all parts to this one.

Basically I got over excited and it all came out prematurely :)

I'd appreciate comments and critics.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903342

Posted : 01/10/2009 9:27 pm
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I've added "Anybody Out There" from Pink Floyd - The Wall. Theres two versions on soundclick, the latest one is at the top.
Thanks for listening.

Posted : 05/10/2009 9:28 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Both pieces done very well.

Patience: Aside for the occasional awkward note it was nice to hear you not try to do an axl. He's got one of those voices that's fun to imitate just because. :twisted: Nice playing. Nice job on the easier said than done whistling too. I do the song as well, but I omit that bit of detail as well as the opening.

Is There Anybody Out There?: Was that two guitars or some really interesting bass and melody finger style going on? Regardless, very nice. It caught the mood of the tune without the help of Roger's sound effects.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 13/11/2009 12:11 pm
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Both pieces done very well.Thanks a lot! I'm surprised someones finally posted a reply to these so its definitely much appreciated.
Patience: Aside for the occasional awkward note it was nice to hear you not try to do an axl. He's got one of those voices that's fun to imitate just because. :twisted:I do that voice only when I'm in the car by myself :D It would be mad trying to do a cover with it, it hurts the voice after a little while.
Nice playing. Nice job on the easier said than done whistling too. I do the song as well, but I omit that bit of detail as well as the opening.I can't do the whistling, but I like trying everytime lol. My poor audience (my 1.5yr son and missus lol).
Is There Anybody Out There?: Was that two guitars or some really interesting bass and melody finger style going on? Regardless, very nice. It caught the mood of the tune without the help of Roger's sound effects.Thanks a lot! When a listener can't tell if its one guitar or two, it definitely means I'm heading the in the right direction :D Its a single guitar on both recording and my version, its just so beautifully arranged it comes across as very full. Its a shame I haven't got the actual backing track as it'd finish the song off excellently.

Again, much appreciated!

Posted : 16/11/2009 7:57 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I just looked at my normal Pink Floyd backing track sources and found nothing. I also looked in my Guitar Pro versions of the songs. Sometimes it can spew out some tolerable backing music. Not this time. One of them might have a passable bass track, but that's about it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 16/11/2009 12:53 pm
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I've got the Pink Floyd Jam Trax from LickLibrary to go with my other Floyd songs I've been working on. Time to get crackign on learning the 2nd solo from Comfortably Numb :) I just used tabs and my love of Pink Floyd - The Wall to learn Anybody Out There. Tabs are easy to find, and the pattern is nice and easy. As my first real guitar piece, it served me well :) Its still not 100% sure I'll play it all without mistakes, so it should continue onwards through the years.

Posted : 16/11/2009 1:36 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I must be one of the few Floyd fans who play guitar that don't play 'Brick. I do play Comfortably Numb, Mother and Nobody Home from that album. The rhythm on all of them and working on the solo. My "The Wall" songbook shows that the comfortably numb solo goes all over the place, but I read an interview done last year that he likes to to the almost the whole thing in Bm. I actually does resemble the Pulse live version somewhat. Great fun. Run Like Hell isn't hard to do, but is quite a long time ago that I've done it.

I'll have to check out Lick Library for anything I might be looking for. Thanks for the tip.

Roy

Posted : 17/11/2009 3:17 am
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I must be one of the few Floyd fans who play guitar that don't play 'Brick. I do play Comfortably Numb, Mother and Nobody Home from that album. The rhythm on all of them and working on the solo.I try Mother every now and then, not that its difficult, but the strumming pattern is all about feeling it, and I'm not good enough to feel it every time! The solo for Mothers quite an easy one too, but I've not put the time in to get a recording out. I don't think I could do it justice til recently anyway.

I love the left hand muting in the verses on 'Brick, but the solo seems very difficult. Its got a crazy 2 tone bend near the beginning. After I've snapped a few strings (only 9's), I'm a bit reluctant to go over a whole tone bend and usually find another way around it. I've also started making 'the face' that guitarists use when they bend. I thought it was because they were really into it, now I'm not so sure because I'm doing it because of apprehension and so I don't whip my eyes out :D
My "The Wall" songbook shows that the comfortably numb solo goes all over the place, but I read an interview done last year that he likes to to the almost the whole thing in Bm. I actually does resemble the Pulse live version somewhatI've got the songbook but I've not tried anything but Goodbye Blue Sky. The one I ordered had the white wall album cover on it, but when it came it was horrible brown textured look with a yellow font :(
Run Like Hell isn't hard to do, but is quite a long time ago that I've done it.Theres a few very simple songs with Floyd, generally beacuse they were so FX orientated. I've just kinda skipped most of the ones I don't think would make a good practice and playing piece. I'm the same as you in that I learn a piece, then move onto something else and forget about it. Later I'll click on I almost know a piece and then I'll have another dabble. Usually I'm really surprised because I've came on in leaps and bounds this last year.

Posted : 17/11/2009 8:04 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I was listening your version of "Is there anybody out there?". It sounds pretty good.

Congrats!

Posted : 17/11/2009 2:00 pm
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Nuno, much appreciated.

Posted : 31/12/2009 6:59 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey, that sounded nice.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 01/01/2010 12:20 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Very nice. Vox was good the song had a mellow grove 8) The thing about doing a cover of a well known song is that you should make it your own :wink: If you can't whistle try doing a keyboard part or maybe a banjo part :?:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 02/01/2010 4:59 am
(@alien)
Estimable Member

There's a pair from opposite ends of the rock spectrum. Both well done. Liked the Floyd one better because of the material.

Posted : 04/01/2010 1:16 am