Clear all

"Hallelujah" - Feedback

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Here's another one I've just recorded. Any critique regarding vocals or guitar would be most appreciated!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9214681

Posted : 31/05/2010 2:53 am
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Well, I love that song and have heard umpteen dozen people singing it, so... (I'll go first :oops: )

Yes, I listened to you a couple of times, thought - but didn't want to be the 'only one' to comment again.

If it helps, I realize that you have a deep voice, from before, and sing an octave lower than the capoed key.

It IS good, and it will pass, but you can do it better with a little work, if you want. The key IMO would be to keep the pitch in your voice, so that it never sounds like "talking" except for the odd word, as emphasis, if intended? Then, if you do that talking sort-of thing, do NOT add pitch, or it will sound Chinese. No offense, but no time either for apologies and no offence intended - the Chinese language whether Mandarin or Cantonese is actually in pitches or tones and is musical.

That's it - I'm not being overanalytical, it takes me time to say that in a roundabout way. And focus on your pitch/intonation with music when singing too, because as you probably know - when singing low, the voice can waiver from pitch especially at the end of a phrase/line. Always work on breathing whether it's a problem or not, it just helps. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 31/05/2010 2:13 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Great song!
Your guitar playing and your vocals sound at odds with each other. It's like you're trying to strum the song in straight 4/4 time, especially through the verses. Maybe arpeggios would work better through the verse sections?
I don't know whether it's 3/4 or 6/8 or 12/8 time but groups of 3 is the key. Think 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3. That's what gives the song that lilting quality (along with a beautiful melody! :wink: ).
Your playing is technically better but your singing is musically better. You did a nice job with the vocal phrasing and you're feeling it, it just need some work on the execution. I really like how you sang the melody 'straight'. It's really gorgeous and you sang it 'straight up, no filigree'.
Keep at it!
:)

Edit to add: You may not get a ton of feedback. Soundclick is acting wonky today. I had to reload your link a few times before the page finally loaded.

Don

Posted : 31/05/2010 4:50 pm
(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks for both of your replies!

I will watch the pitch, the first thing I noticed playing back my recording was that the end of the "hallelujah" section sounded a bit wobbly. Would this be fixed by simply breathing better?

As for the guitar part, I took your advice and picked out something similar to a "House of the Rising Sun" pattern and it sounded much more in tune with the rhythm of the melody, so thanks for the great suggestion. (I looked up the sheet music and the song is in 6/8)

Posted : 31/05/2010 7:12 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Thanks for both of your replies!

I will watch the pitch, the first thing I noticed playing back my recording was that the end of the "hallelujah" section sounded a bit wobbly. Would this be fixed by simply breathing better?

Breath control, or more air coming from the diaphragm could be one fix, and is likely the solution, as well as the simpler training the ear on the music and singing it in tune, without modulating down, or 'out' as in running out of breath?

I don't think you need breathing exercises or diaphragm exercise such as blowing up balloons or anything like that. It's the same as me - I do it too - breathe more often or at the right times, inhale or inspire sufficiently, and let it out evenly, or with the emphasis that the vocals require. I run out of breath too soon, particularly if I push too hard, without leaving a reserve of air. The only way to have that reserve, or enough, is to get sufficient intake, quickly and seamlessly during the brief rests - naturally we aren't going to gulp air. :wink:

All the best. Enjoy, don't make it too much work. Relax and take it slowly. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 31/05/2010 8:12 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yeah, great song!

Yesterday a ukulele teacher uploaded a video of this song. He plays ukulele but perhaps you can some ideas about strumming, he explains some the patterns he uses in the video.

Keep posting!

Posted : 08/06/2010 12:32 pm