Clear all

Hawaii Five 0

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

After doing The Shadows cover I thought I would do Walk Don't Run but I couldn't resist trying this one. It's a real cracker of a tune that I've always liked and when I realised that The Ventures had done a cover of it I knew I had to have a go at it.

I initially thought it would be fairly easy but for me its proved to be quite troublesome, so at this point it's as good as I can do. I was able to get up to 80% speed easily but trying to play it at full speed has been rather hard. The amount of improvement I've had from practising this in the last week is nill so I've recorded a warts and all version rather than keep plodding away and end up never wanting to play it again. Its the quick little runs (might not be quick for you but it is for these old working hands ) that have me fumbling away. I can play all the parts up to speed, I just can't manage a complete run through without mistakes.

So hear is my rather rough version of The Ventures studio cover of the theme tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5--FDj8dwcc

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 20/10/2010 1:44 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I really liked that, jase.

One of my all time favorite tv shows at the time. Yes, I'm old enough to have watched it in prime time. :lol:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 21/10/2010 1:24 am
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Nice job, Jase.
I had no idea the guitar was so intricate. In my mind I just hear the signature riff and think that's all there is to it.
Keep working it up. You're good at this type of stuff. 8)
Slightly OT, for anyone with the knowledge: is the song changing key several times?
OT, great looking guitar. Love that body colour with a maple fretboard.
:)

Don

Posted : 21/10/2010 6:16 pm
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Slightly OT, for anyone with the knowledge: is the song changing key several times?

The shame of it is that for most of the tune I haven't much clue what key I'm in :oops: . I'm not sure how to even describe the parts of the song as there seems no way to describe as if it was verse and chorus. I know at 00.16 seconds it starts in C minor, that same part is repeated later in C# minor and then later in D minor. I have no idea apart from those times whats going on. I'd like to learn the chords to play along to it but it seems to jump along all over the place.
OT, great looking guitar. Love that body colour with a maple fretboard.

I saw Wes Inmans on this forum and thats the colour he had on 1 of his Strats and I just copied him.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 23/10/2010 6:45 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

haha, love it! I'm a big Ventures fan though, and it's a timeless theme!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 26/10/2010 6:11 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Awesome! Great cover!

It made I remind the TV show, one of my favorites when I was a boy. Really I don't remember anything about the show but the music. In fact, I play some parts of the tune when I am practicing.

That's cool! 8)

Posted : 31/10/2010 11:32 am