Clear all

Hey Joe

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@enigmaticuske)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey people. I recorded a piece of my playing of Hey Joe. (I'm still a beginner, been playing for 6 months, so don't expect any crazy improvisations and such)

Tell me what you think and what I need to work on the most!

Thank you very much.

https://soundcloud.com/kakzalver/hey-joe

Posted : 07/02/2013 4:36 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

That is great playing for 6 months in. You have got the notes and phrases, the dexterity. Congrats. 8)
You asked what to work on: the timing gets off kilter pretty much from the get go. You establish a tempo with the intro riff and then lose the beat just after the first chords (about 7 secs) and it kind of see saws back and forth after that.
There is almost always a disconnect, tempo wise, between the riffy stuff and the chordal stuff.
I'd suggest practicing it at a much slower tempo.Maybe start with the chord progression, get that solid in your head as the bones of the song. And then add the riffs. Get it to the point where the song groove (chords) and riff stuff really sound tight and together.
Hope that helps and, again, nice playing!

Don

Posted : 08/02/2013 12:19 am
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I agree with boxboy . VERY nice for six months but your timing messes up each time you switch from the chords to riffs .Try playing along with the record or a drum track . Cheap electronic keyboards have drum patterns you can play with if you have access to one . You need to strengthen your feel for where the first beat of each measure is . Another possibility is to record yourself just playing straight chords and then play along with your own recording , adding all your little fills . Keep up the good work !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

Posted : 08/02/2013 2:42 am
(@enigmaticuske)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I filmed me playing Hey Joe, as it may be a bit more intresting instead just listening. Comments are always welcome! Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os99WMoM5rI&feature=youtu.be

Posted : 09/03/2013 1:30 pm