Clear all

I'm Not Dead (I'm in Pittsburgh)

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

OK. This is a Frank Black cover. From his recent "Fast Man/Raider Man" album.

I'd appreciate if you take a minute to listen and comment on it. To help out. Here's my comment. I find my vocals boring, but see an improvement in the fluidity of my guitar playing. I also miss where I should start singing at places and rush to catch the next chord :P

This time I recorded the guitar and the vocals seperately, then sang (using the term loosely) on it. I've simulatenously recorded two guitar tracks one using a dynamic mic , the other using a soundhole pickup. In the final mix one is panned all the way left while the other is panned all the way right. I kind of like it myself.

Kindly, find it here:
http://thatissopunkrock.org/down/im_not_dead/

Thanks.

oktay

Posted : 12/02/2007 5:24 am
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

ok this is good playing and vocal ok ....BUT [allways a but] :( the vocal is to far back if you reversed the guitar with the vocal it would have come across better i think, the whole thing is there well done ....smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 12/02/2007 6:36 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Hi

Yeah very nice but I do agree with Smoke about the vocals , oh well its' nice to know people are listening ...

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 12/02/2007 8:54 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

As said by the others, a little different mix and it's good to go. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 12/02/2007 4:44 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yep, pretty much agree with everyone else - guitar playing is fine, nice rhythm and snap to it, and the vocals are OK - don't make me want to run away screaming, I actually like double-tracked echoey vocals - yours remind me in a weird way of , say, Joey Ramone doing a country song......

But yes, those vocals do need to be higher in the mix.....not sure if that's the right term, I actually mean louder.....because I can't make out some of the words....

But I like it.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 12/02/2007 10:48 pm
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

So it seems I wasn't able to fool anyone with my mumbling :) OK. I will remix this with the guitars quiter and the vocal closer to the front. Don't say I haven't warned you though :) Stay tuned.

Kidding aside. Thanks a bunch for all the comments. One of these days I'm even going to pop into the singing forum and ask for a few pointers.

oktay

Posted : 13/02/2007 9:16 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Well, actually you dont really have a bad voice. Esp considing you are, as you kind of pointed out, a little self consious. Bring it on out. Sounds great.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 14/02/2007 9:08 pm
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Here's the new mix as promised. I got rid of the effect on the vocals (except for a new one to amplify the volume) and removed the pick-up recorded guitar track. Let me know what you think :)

http://thatissopunkrock.org/down/im_not_dead/im_not_dead-mix02.mp3

oktay

Posted : 20/02/2007 10:37 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Touch too much the other way - the vocals are way too loud now. There's nothing wrong with the voice - hell everyone has a unique voice (except the guy from Foreigner, he just wanted to be Paul Rodgers when he grew up....) and yours is fine, listenable....on the debit side, you nearly blew my speakers.....

Vocals down a couple of notches - you're drowning the guitar out completely, and the chords are nice to listen to....

As always, just MY opinion....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/02/2007 10:49 pm
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

OK. I've decreased the volume of the vocals a bit and removed all effects. I also reintroduced the pick-up guitar track. I think the recording sounds a bit fuller with it.

http://thatissopunkrock.org/down/im_not_dead/im_not_dead-mix03.mp3

I also decided to sing this again later. I have a feeling I can do a better job. Thanks for the comments and encouragement. If you've listened to all versions, you must be sick of the song by now. I know I am :)

oktay

Posted : 21/02/2007 12:37 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

MUUUUUUCH better!

Vocals are clear, can hear what you're singing - and the acoustic backing is nice and clear as well!

A note though - this works fine for me, but others may say "turn the guitar up a touch" or "turn the guitar down a touch" - for me, you've got a nice balance, others might like it slightly different.....

Never be afraid to experiment....and always be true to yourself. How do YOU like this latest mix? Better, or not?

Vic

Posted : 21/02/2007 12:47 am
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yes I do think this latest mix is better than all the previous ones although I had not at first thought the vocals were too quiet in the original mix. :) I guess that's why peer review is a good thing right ? :)

Thanks again.

oktay

Posted : 21/02/2007 3:22 am
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

I like Frank Black a lot, but I'm not familiar with this particular song.

Good job on this.

Posted : 21/02/2007 4:08 am