10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

01. Jelly Jezus (July 22nd 2008)
02. Revelation (November 11th 2007)
03. Collateral Damage (September 11th 2002)
04. Asylum's Anthem (December 28th 2007)
05. Start Stop (June 4th 2007)
06. Love Song 69 (April 16th 2007)
07. Molder & Deliquesce (April 17th 2007)
08. Car Crash (February 26th 1989)
09. Childhood Memories (December 25th 1990)
10. Happy Haze (April 16th 2008)
11. Exit Love (July 24th 2007)
12. Crazy (September 9th 2007)
13. I still Think of You (Januari 12th 2008)
14. A Happy Ending (July 23rd 2008)

[DOWNLOAD]
DOWNLOAD LINK
ALTERNATIVE DOWNLOAD LINK

[STREAMING]
Go to www.soundclick.com/sleutelbos and click 'play' at the right-top corner.

The story :P

About three years ago I uploaded my first song, Waiting to Fall, here. I got some kind comments and started writing songs from that point. Pretty soon after that Wes came along and told me that I should always try to do my very best with every song. At the time I didn't pay too much attention to his, in retrospect rather wise, words. Instead I wrote each song to learn one specific aspect of songwriting/composition/production. Last year that resulted in ten projects, with over 150 songs written and recorded. Some people liked it, some people hated it but atleast I had the impression I was improving. Last december, when we all give our 'newyear GN goals' I posted I wanted to write another ten albums this year. Kingpatzer asked me, in a PM discussion, why I had a certain quantity as goal instead of a certain quality.

Slowly Wes' words faded back into my head and I asked myself why I always write 'practice pieces', songs written to practice one specific aspect. To be honest the #1 reason appeared to me that it was safe. I had a great excuse for whatever critique would come my way. "It's just a practice piece, don't mind the out-of-key guitar, forget the vocals etc". That had to change. I made a new goal, to write the best album I can. Not just technically but emotionally as well. No timelimit, no hurry. No excuses. And here we are now. The album is done and it's definitely the best I've done so far. It tells the story of a young fellow, someone who is both me and the opposite of me. It's the story of what could have been me, what is me and what might be me. And then again it's not. I hope people can appreciate it, any feedback very much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who has commented on my tracks the last half a year. I've written them all down and worked very hard on each track. While most of the songs have been uploaded here before they've all been massively updated. Vocals redone, added cello/choir/horns etc lines, remastered and all that. A special thanks to Mike for his behind=the-scenes help. If you like it tell your friends! The album can be downloaded, plus the lyrics, at http://www.sleutelbos.com . Help spread the word!

Posted : 06/05/2008 6:38 pm
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

dl'ing now. Kind of busy with final exams right now but I'll let you know what I think as soon as I get a chance to listen.

Posted : 06/05/2008 7:03 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hope you'll like, good luck with the exams!

Posted : 07/05/2008 11:01 am
(@joefish)
Trusted Member

Downloading as we speak. I will give a listen while I am at work. Nice album art.

==================
Pat
joefish
SilverBox

"Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice".
Robert Fripp

Posted : 08/05/2008 12:18 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'm still listening to it.
Any comments I make would, probably, be my overall impression that the album gives.
But I'll save everyone from that . . .
(Obviously, since I couldn't contribute anything to the musical aspects
- hmm smileys are not working for me)
. . . and I've heard most of the songs already.

My favorite is Lovesong 69 and I liked the cello you added.
I like songs that have 3 things going on at once:
Baseline or rhythm, harmony or counter melody (see? I don't know what I'm talking about), and of course melody.
To me its liking weaving music. And that song is a good weave.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 08/05/2008 3:13 pm
(@joefish)
Trusted Member

Ok, here' the deal. Your music is always a little too dark for me. Not that it's bad, it's just not my genre. I do like Start Stop and yes Love Song 69 is very good.

I do have to say i like the way the album is mixed. Very well done and I really like the way some of the tracks blend from one to another, very well done. The mixing and balancing itself is also very well done.

All in all, very good compilation.

==================
Pat
joefish
SilverBox

"Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice".
Robert Fripp

Posted : 09/05/2008 4:03 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I never thought of you as ever playing it safe; ie, 'hiding behind practice pieces'. you have always come across to me as one digging deep into their experiences and exposing the soul to all. your subject matter is serious stuff. I understand it completely having been rung in the mill and pulled through a knot hole more times than I wanted. using those experiences in the creative manner you do is artful and daring. you have a real talent and I am so glad to be able to download and listen.
what an undertaking putting all this material together. it retains the freshness and daring. salut!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 10/05/2008 5:10 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Joe: Yeah, makes sense. I know that for many people my music is too negative, c'est ca. Thanks for the kind words though. :)

Ken: Glad you liked parts of it, it's always a complete guess which songs people'll like and which not. I'm kinda surprised people mention LS69, also on other forums, but that's part of the fun for me. :D

Dog: Thanks so much. You're right about that, what I was trying to say was that this time I spend more time on the 'side details'. But I'm the King of Hyperboles. And again thanks, this thing has been downloaded by about 17 people worldwide so it's really nice to hear people genuinly enjoying it. :D

Posted : 11/05/2008 8:05 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Down loading it mate ..

Will comment when I hear it all of it , { I am sure I am going to enjoy this }

Cheers

Trev..

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 12/05/2008 5:54 am