Clear all

John Dowland & A Celtic Piece

19 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I didn't listen these recordings! Very beautiful tunes and good playing.

And Guitar Noise rulez! :mrgreen:

Posted : 11/10/2009 12:21 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I didn't listen these recordings! Very beautiful tunes and good playing.

And Guitar Noise rulez!

Thanks Nuno!! LOL, and yes it does rule!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 13/10/2009 3:21 am
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member

I went to the Ohio Renaissance Festival yesterday, and thought I'd try my hand at a couple pieces. Both are short coming in at about 1:00 each. John Dowland piece is recorded with my Classical guitar, the Celtic piece is recording with my Acoustic.

1. I recently discovered John Dowland when searching for Renaissance music and fell in love with the music. Even ordered a book online of his works (hopefully will have it today)
This piece is one of his easier ones, though still kind of hard for me. It's called Mrs. Winters Jump.

[ rest deleted for brevity ]

Two things, one, you might want to check out a Sting CD, Songs from the Labyrinth. All Dowland pieces. Sting sings and Eden Karamazov plays the lute. I'm pretty sure, in that time frame that the lute would have been the original instrument the pieces were played on.

Second, check out Kevin Gallagher on youtube. Here is a lesson on Mrs. Winters Jump.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6FOVF0CUKg

I haven't listened to your recording yet so I'm not insinuating that you need a lesson, just that you might be interested.

____
Steve

Posted : 21/10/2009 12:22 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Two things, one, you might want to check out a Sting CD, Songs from the Labyrinth. All Dowland pieces. Sting sings and Eden Karamazov plays the lute. I'm pretty sure, in that time frame that the lute would have been the original instrument the pieces were played on.

Second, check out Kevin Gallagher on youtube. Here is a lesson on Mrs. Winters Jump.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6FOVF0CUKg

I haven't listened to your recording yet so I'm not insinuating that you need a lesson, just that you might be interested.

Thanks for that link! I don't play it like him LOL, I don't play it correctly really, it's only the first Renaissance piece I've tried.

As far as the Sting CD goes, I've heard some of it, but I'm not a fan, I like the guitar/lute, but not the singing.

Thanks for taking a look and I hope you take a listen!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 21/10/2009 3:20 am
Page 2 / 2