Clear all

Led Zep Thank You

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I learned this earlier this week. Led Zep's "Thank You", inspired by Chris Cornell's single accoustic version. No vocals. That kind of torture I reserve for my family in person and for a few unfortunate souls who have clicked on earlier recordings that are still lingering.

Song name is Gratitude on SoundClick. (avoiding that whole copyright scan thingy they threaten us with)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=833547&content=music

Oh, and feel free to comment here if you desire. Insults will be dealt with, laughter appreciated and sympathy cards to my wife understood. Most of you know me by now. I do this for fun. I know there are a few mess ups in there.....like a few spots in the first 40 seconds, all Bm to E changes, a few hesitant entries into the first line of the verses, I got hyper at the end of the last verse leading to the outro, poor job of mic'ing the amp, I farted once (SBD, but while we're being honest with eachother....), one Bm chord not struck so cleanly and I forgot where I was once, so I repeated the intro. (Actually, I'm proud of myself on that one. You gotta REALLY know the song and know that I didn't do it on purpose to pick it up.)

In short, I'm just having a good time. Enjoy!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 12/07/2008 4:03 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Very pretty chord progression, Roy.
(Chord progression is my new "phrase of the month" - ever since I found out what it meant)
Thank you for Thank You. I wasn't familiar with the song. I'm going to see if I can find the mp3 now.

In Miami where it's hot, hot, hot.
Hoping hurricanes are not, not, not
Drinkin' beer a lot, lot, lot
'Cause I have no . . . (dot, dot, dot?)
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 12/07/2008 12:02 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice job, Roy!

Ken, it is from Led Zep II.

Posted : 12/07/2008 12:21 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I am really glad for you to be breaking new ground. this style of playing is challenging at first, but in no time
you will have those changes down smooth. when that happens you will be able to use your fretting fingers to play the melodic notes whilst chording.
great job here. I love that song.
going to down load this so I can play some zep licks.
ok?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 12/07/2008 2:01 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Sounds great! I love Cornell's version of that song, it's on the Unplugged in Sweden bootleg I have. I've learned most of the songs he does on there, but haven't learned this one yet. Guess I know what I'm doing today.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 12/07/2008 2:08 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone. Too kind. I might add that I was under the influnce of prescription paind meds and muscle relaxers, as I am right now as well, so apologies out for any sloppiness. That, and I made a mistake this morning taking things. I should be falling over soon.

That said, thanks again everyone, Derek, I don't play way better than you. We play differently. I couldn't use a slide much past the first opening notes of FreeBird,

Dogbite, I can play Tangerine too. That leaves a chorus open for a lead, and I think some more lead during the 2nd chorus. I'll just have to find the right mic setting, or, re-hook back up to PC. Hmmmmmm Any interest in doing an intremental on that one too?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 12/07/2008 2:15 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Sounds great! I love Cornell's version of that song, it's on the Unplugged in Sweden bootleg I have. I've learned most of the songs he does on there, but haven't learned this one yet. Guess I know what I'm doing today.

Hi, I'll run (or fall) downstairs and grab my sheet. I scribbled a couple of notes on it. I'll correct them on my file and then copy it to a PM for ya,

Oh, what the heck. Just put it here is as easy as anything.
Thank You - LED ZEPPELIN

INTRO: D-riff, C-riff, G , D

[Verse]
[D] If the sun ref[C]used to shine [G]
I would still be l[D]oving you
[D]When mountains crumble [C]to the sea [G]
There would still be [D]you and me

[Chorus]
[Bm] Kind of women, I give you m[E]y all
[Bm7] Kind of women, [E]nothing mo[A]re

[Bridge]
[C] Little drops of rain
[G] Whisper on the plains
[D] Tears of loves lost in the days gone by
[C] And my love is strong
[G] Here there is no wrong
To[D]gether we shall go until we die
[D] mm my, my,

[Chorus]
[Bm] An inspiration is what you [E]are to me
[Bm] Inspiration, lo[E]ok s[A]ee

[Instrumental]
[D-riff] [C-riff] [G] [D] X 3

[Verse]
[D] And so today [C]my world it smiles
[G]Your hand in mine [D]we walk the miles [G]
But thanks to you, it w[C]ill be done
[G]For you, to me, are the on[D]ly one

[Chorus]
[Bm] Happiness, n[E]o more be sad [D]
[Bm] Happiness, I a[E]m gl[A]ad

[Outro]
[D] If the sun re[C]fused to shine [G]
I would still be [D]loving you
When mountains crumble [C]to the sea [G]
There would still be [D]you and me
[D-riff] [C-riff] [G] [D]

Notes:
D-Riff: A D chord with a little Dsus4 and D2 mixed in.
C-Riff: A C chord with a little Cadd9 (x32013) in the middle

Roy

Posted : 12/07/2008 2:16 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Very nice, thanks for the chords!

Posted : 13/07/2008 3:14 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hey Roy, sounds good. I don't know the song so I'm one of those people that didn't notice you got sidetracked somewhere. 8) Any chance of us hearing your vocals with it?

Posted : 13/07/2008 5:41 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Hey, nice job Roy. We need to get together and do the Southern States Blues jam thing. My brother in law lives in Greenville and I have discovered a new GN member that lives just down the road apiece.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 14/07/2008 3:34 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hey, nice job Roy. We need to get together and do the Southern States Blues jam thing. My brother in law lives in Greenville and I have discovered a new GN member that lives just down the road apiece.

I'm all for that. I'll PM you.

Incidently, your town is famous for the Marshall Tucker Band. I just learned two of their songs this weekend. All rhythm, of course.

Roy

Posted : 14/07/2008 3:53 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hey Roy, sounds good. I don't know the song so I'm one of those people that didn't notice you got sidetracked somewhere. 8) Any chance of us hearing your vocals with it?

You never know. I've been working a bit on singing. I didn't realize that it's an artform within itself. I might get some lessons when my head and ear heals. Another song I'm working on from last week is Marly's No Woman No Cry, based on the live versions. It's a very vocal centric song, so I gotta get decent before that one will work.

Roy

Posted : 14/07/2008 4:01 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Hey, nice job Roy. We need to get together and do the Southern States Blues jam thing.

Count me in on that!

Posted : 14/07/2008 11:29 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Roy

Unmistakeably Led Zep - well done.

Also.... Mongo and Pawn of Life - excellent :lol: . Probably the best film ever made....as well as.....well anything Mel Brooks and that's just for starters...

I think I'll have a play around with this one myself...

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 14/07/2008 1:25 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks Dylan.

Yeah, if it wasn't for Mel Brooks and the Monty Python group, I don't know what the heck I'd ever watch. :|

Roy

Posted : 14/07/2008 1:46 pm