Clear all

Life and how to live it

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I felt like doing a song about a somewhat broader topic then I usually do, so here's my song about life. I ripped the title from an REM song and as that was so much easier then coming up with an original title I stayed in the ripping mood to grab some footage on youtube for a 'clip'. Enjoy. I hope...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj9gHuxkwhs
Life and how to live it

Adrenaline
Benjamin
Coffee
Discussion
Evolution
Funeral
Greenhouse Gasses
Hallelujah
Itchy

Jezus
Krusty the Clown
Lemonade
Memory
Neutral
Orange
Prize-winning potato
Quest
Runner-up
Sleeping Pills
Trainspotting
United Against Animals
Willy the Wombat Weener
Xenophobia
Yes to All
Zombies

Posted : 19/06/2008 4:40 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

OK, I'm going to have to watch that a few more times before I comment on it.
Besides this . . . which is not a comment but an acknowledgment (that I viewed it).

Comments about life?
Advice on how to live it?
I'm still taking lessons.
Never too old . . . even on my death bed . . . never too old for advice about life and how to live it.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 19/06/2008 6:20 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Interesting composition.

You could also have included the following -

1. Spongebob Squarepants
2. Abracadabra
3. Guitarnoise (seriously)

Posted : 21/06/2008 4:27 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

alphabetical
are
But
in
not
order.
those

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 22/06/2008 1:02 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

_ery intriguing.

lo_ed the melody, which had a hypnotic, almost _alium like quality.

why not your own _oice?

was the _oice track spliced somewhere around 3:38, it got a bit _ague around that point?

Posted : 22/06/2008 11:27 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ken: I'm too young to listen to advice and don't know enough to give advice, it's more about just looking at things then me telling the world what to do. A nice definition of 'wisdom' I heared recently: wisdom is what you learn seconds after you need it most. :lol:

Rahul: Heh, Spongebob would have been a great addition! :lol:

Good catch Chris, the 'V' is gone. :D But I don't really know what 'splice' means, I looked it up and it still doesnt help me too much:

"1 a: to unite (as two ropes) by interweaving the strands b: to unite (as lengths of magnetic tape) by overlapping and securing together two ends
2: to unite, link, or insert as if by splicing
3: to combine or insert (as genes) by genetic engineering <spliced a human gene for insulin into a bacterium>" :?

The voices were done by using a text2speech program, some words are better pronounced then others, sometimes I had to try a more phonetic spelling and sometimes nothing really worked well. Around 'Sleeping Pills' the text gets increasingly slowed-down while the overall tempo of the music and the vocals is increased. As for why not my own voice, well, I sometimes do that and sometimes don't, really have not much of a well-thought out reason for it, kinda depends on how the voice feels I guess.

Posted : 22/06/2008 11:43 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

The voices were done by using a text2speech program, some words are better pronounced then others, sometimes I had to try a more phonetic spelling and sometimes nothing really worked well. Around 'Sleeping Pills' the text gets increasingly slowed-down while the overall tempo of the music and the vocals is increased.

Ah! Even more interesting - I must say that it didn't occur to me that you might have used software for the voice, apart from doing the slowdown aspect.

I guess "splicing" is an old term from the days of tape recording, when you literally cut the tape to edit it and then 'spliced' the bits together (your meaning 1.). My dad had a little gadget for cutting and splicing 8mm movies together. I wondered whether you had edited a couple of 'takes' together and lost the V in the process, when adjusting for length. But of course, I was wrongly assuming that you'd had a friend doing live vocal takes for you.

Always interesting to hear what you're working on. I'm several light years behind you, but I've been trying to scrape up a few keyboard skills in the hopes of one day being able to assemble stuff a little like you have been over the past 12 months or so. Apart from the guitar gear, I now have a Yamaha PSR 500 arranger keyboard with a variety of voices and gadgetry, and a Roland digital piano, which is a lot more 'piano-like'.

Part of the Kit - Just the Talent Missing Now..

Chris

Posted : 22/06/2008 12:05 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

For too long, Vs have been poorly represented in the alphabet.
The obvious omission of this letter in your song shows a lack of respect and consideration for the Vs in this world.
Your disdain and mistreatment of Vs will not be tolerated.
You will be hearing from our lawyer.

KR2
President of Equal Representation for ABCs (and to be fair to all) DEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ too
Author of "The Virtues of V"

Posted : 22/06/2008 12:17 pm