Clear all

Modded SX Guitar & Bass video demo

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

It took a while but last night ThunderFingers and I turned on the camera to let you folks sample those SX guitars we rebuilt. See what you think. We sort of just did it in one take but you will get the idea how they sound and play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYGuQ-bBK6U

For anyone who saw the earlier Man Cave videos, you will notice quite a difference. We still kept the violet ray of death effect from the light and yes, I know we are off center. That was on purpose. It's called art. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 17/06/2009 6:58 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Great video! Nice tones!

I like the "off center art" 8)

Posted : 17/06/2009 7:47 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

They both sounded wicked. :twisted: Way to go!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 17/06/2009 8:08 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Do you like how ThunderFingers belched at the beginning and cracked me up so bad I messed up the intro first time through? :lol: At first glance I thought, that almost looked like I was irked with him ........ if you knew us you would know otherwise. :mrgreen: The belch was so loud my mic picked it up and it came out the PA. :P

Posted : 17/06/2009 10:32 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I thought I heard that. Too funny.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 18/06/2009 12:03 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Rock on! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 18/06/2009 12:28 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Nice job! I've been thinking about learning about this stuff and finding a cheap guitar to change parts etc...are the SX guitars a good choice, or can I go with something like a Squire or a Dean to practice stuff like that?

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 18/06/2009 2:59 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

We bought the SX guitars because they were an incredible value. Cheaper than a Squire or Dean and made with quality woods. The necks and frets are very good considering the price. The body is 3 piece alder just like a USA Strat. MIM's are 5 piece and I don't know what a Squire is comprised of. It would have been hard to buy a neck and body for what I paid for the guitar. Hard to beat $99.

Posted : 18/06/2009 11:10 am
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

Hey TR, is your boy playing by ear ... or maybe by "feel"? I think the actual bassline is a bit busier, but he captured the essence very well!

Posted : 18/06/2009 1:00 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

He might have heard the song a couple of times. :? I just pulled it out of memory when we were jamming the other night. Thought it was close? :?

Edit: OK, went and downloaded the power tab. Got a couple of wrong chords in there too. Bass line was pretty close though. The boy has good instincts. Not even sure if I got a recording of that one? Essentially, that was us winging it. :roll:

Posted : 19/06/2009 12:03 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

We bought the SX guitars because they were an incredible value. Cheaper than a Squire or Dean and made with quality woods. The necks and frets are very good considering the price. The body is 3 piece alder just like a USA Strat. MIM's are 5 piece and I don't know what a Squire is comprised of. It would have been hard to buy a neck and body for what I paid for the guitar. Hard to beat $99.

I was seeing some of these on ebay and am really close to just buying one, you may have just sold me on it.

The Squire I believe is 5 piece, but I don't think it's Alder, according to wikipedia they use multiple woods, agathis, basswood and playwood, and the guitars have more than one wood in the construction to avoid waste and keep cost down.

Posted : 19/06/2009 3:54 am
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

He might have heard the song a couple of times. :? I just pulled it out of memory when we were jamming the other night. Thought it was close? :?

Edit: OK, went and downloaded the power tab. Got a couple of wrong chords in there too. Bass line was pretty close though. The boy has good instincts. Not even sure if I got a recording of that one? Essentially, that was us winging it. :roll:

Oh hey, I didn't mean my comment as criticism, sorry if that's how it came across! Point was just that bass lines don't always need to be 100% "as recorded" to make the song work; he did great!

Posted : 19/06/2009 9:46 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Don't worry about it Gabba, not a problem. Even if it was criticism thats OK too. Thats how we get better. You are right though, they don't have to be note perfect to still sound good. Hey, and thanks to you I got the tab and we can fix the bad chord cause I think we are gonna keep playing this one, it was fun! :D

Joe, Rondo sells just the body so here is the link if you want to take a look at the specs. http://www.rondomusic.com/stbody.html

Posted : 19/06/2009 1:31 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Thanks for that link TR, yeah, I went to their website and was looking at their SX STL-50 or 62 for $109.

I didn't know they sold just the parts and bodies as well. I'll have to look at those very carefully. Thanks!!

Posted : 19/06/2009 3:49 pm
(@banre)
Reputable Member

The bass sounded really good. Did you replace the stock pups? What amp/cab is he running it through?

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

Posted : 19/06/2009 6:39 pm
Page 1 / 2